WTF happened to Guilds?

Where have all the Guilds gone? Are they dying off since the launch of BFA or have they all suddenly taken on the Cliche Syndrome of Raiding Guilds?

Even a few months ago a new character upon loading in for the first time would be buried in AUTO Guild invites until one was accepted but now it is like new characters have WoW Leprosy. You can stand in SW or Org as a newer Character and spam for hours “Looking for Guild” or ask in every instance group “Is anyone’s Guild recruiting” without getting a /w of “Yep! We are”!

Just as a test I created new toons, which I leveled to at least 45, on 12 different servers of various populations over the last three weeks and only on Horde side of Thrall did I ever receive a Guild invite!

Does Blizzard need to change Guild rewards, change what it takes to start a Guild, or has WoW become a game where Guilds no longer offer the Social draw they did for the last 14 years?

24 Likes

Players are too busy taking the extra time to fly places! We are all enjoying the scenery we’ve seen for 10+ years!

Guilds?! Ain’t nobody got time for that!

91 Likes

Why would you need a guild when you barely need to even talk to another person to do 99% of the stuff in WoW?

72 Likes

My main character “stabmcstabby” keeps getting bombarded with guild invites which is annoying, that why I like my warrior better. I keep telling them “I’m noob, leave me alone, get someone who is good at this game to join you” but to no avail.

1 Like

I was going to say there is a ton of recruiting on my server but then I saw you say

So… I guess you already knew that.

I do not know the times you did it on, but the more casual guilds might not be on at the times you ask, or they do not sit in trade. I for one hate spam invites and typically disassociate with those people. Could also be in your tests that the guilds around Clicked on you, saw <lvl 45, and then didn’t bother since a lot of content is focused around max level.

Why join a guild to raid when the lazy have lfr to see the content.
Why do it for gear when you can get the same ilvl in a 5man.
Why care at all about the other people you play with when all loot is “personal” and not earned together as a whole.
Blizz put poor short sighted systems into the game that conflict with the social side of a mmo your’e just playing a single player game where the only time you opt in play with others is when you queue for a m+ .

38 Likes

Ahh you touch on something, blizzard broke the auto guild invite add on so we can’t use that anymore

4 Likes

blizzard has gone out of their way to make guilds irrelevant

it’s unfortunate because a good guild makes the game 500x better.

51 Likes
  1. No. Guilds don’t need “rewards” period. Either people use them or they don’t. At most, they could buff the challenges and deposit that reward directly into some sort of repair fund so it’s 100% going to the guild and not the GM.

2. Yeah, they probably should change what it takes to start a guild. Go back to 10 signatures, if not more, not 4. Also, require the soon-to-be GM be level 30 or higher. Bank Alt Guilds are stupid, Solo Guilds are stupid, and everyone and their mom thinking they need to be in charge is stupid. Have your faction dissolve your Guild and send the GM and Officers a mail message if it can’t maintain activity from at least 10 people (or however many signatures it would take) in any given 30-day period. Could have a warning the first time if needed, with action taken the next period if it hasn’t been corrected.

3. No, Guilds don’t have the social draw the used to, and they haven’t since the Premade Group Finder came about during WoD. People realized they can just pug content cross-realm faster than 90% of the dedicated guilds on most realms, and there are a LOT of people who care more about that efficiency than the sense of belonging within a good guild.

FWIW, I still get spam guild invites on my WRA Alliance alts. Looking at you, Amberpine Overwatch and Brotherhood of the Horse.

2 Likes

None of my characters are in guilds. I rarely get invites either though because my server is fairly dead I think.

But for what I do in game I don’t need a guild. I actually find it a hindrance because when I’m playing I want to do what I want to do and I want to log off any moment I want. I always hated when I was in guilds and I would be asked to do stuff and I didn’t really want to do it. So I would either have to do it or say no thank you.

By avoiding guilds altogether it’s not an issue.

1 Like

The current guild abilities like gmail and bank access are great. There was a time when guild perks were unbelievably overpowered. I was sad they took those away, but it may be better now.

I have never been hard core enough to play with a raiding guild. I had a toon in a guild that did some raiding and PVP. I once joined them for some random BGs. I was fighting on a flag and didn’t notice a party chat that told me to go get the cart. Then I saw that I was kicked from the guild for not following orders. if the dudes were that serious, they should have been using voice chat. Glad I’m not in a “wannabe raiding guild like that anymore.”

2 Likes

I would also say that I think when they added guild rewards it was one of the worst things they ever did to the game.

In my opinion it killed off so many of those fun friend guilds. And left us with those shell guilds that just wanted members.

2 Likes

Thats because thrall is a horde heavy server. I mean sure, you can roll alliance on it but people who want to play alliance seriously roll on alliance heavy servers like sargeras or stormrage due to the amount of other alliance they have to play with.

As far as I can see, it is no better now, and guild perks were a fabulous part of being in a real community. How can anyone say things like these aren’t fun things to have:

• Fast Track (extra 5% exp for killing monsters and doing quests)
  • Mr Popularity (extra 5% rep etc)
  • Reinforce (reduction of durability loss)
  • Chug-a-Lug (The duration of buffs from all guild cauldrons and feasts is increased by 50%)
  • Honorable Mention (5% extra honor)
  • Working Overtime (Increases the chance to gain a skill increase on tradeskills by 10%)
  • The Quick and the Dead (50% increase in health/mana when rezzd by guild member out of combat)
    etc and so on…

I’d give them real money to have these perks back. I wouldn’t want to see the ranks returned but if all guilds (perhaps with more than a certain number of members on different accounts) could have them it would be happy days again.

5 Likes

Just get rid of guilds! We have LFR and LFG, no need to segregate the players! :wink:

Aren’t you lucky. I have block guild invites turned off and I get whispers regularly. I actually find it hard to believe you leveled 12 characters on 12 different servers just for that purpose.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t call it cliche. Raiding is popular. In fact, most of the people in my guild have real lives and spend the majority of their WoW time raiding on our raid nights.

Here is the ugly truth no one wants to know about or admit to.

The spam guilds where fishing for mains. They would get your alt and be super sweet and then when you offer to raid with them you get on your main.

Once they had your main they who try and get you to come to their new guild on probation. They would get some people and those new members would get no loot and instead feed the main clique with gear. Then there would be “issues” and they would be repeatedly benched or dropped from the raid group. People could go thru months of “guild auditions” and be left back gear wise to the point where they became simply under geared.

If you have ever seen a guild with a lovable band of mains who has “new members” constantly on audition this is why. Or at least this was why.

With the on-set of personal loot they now can no longer afford to bring people they don’t want to get loot. So any new members they bring in they have to be “main clique” worthy and dependable with attendance.

This is why so many lost their minds at the removal of master loot. Now I admit there where many who where honest and good with it. But some straight up scammed and most didn’t even realize they where actively following this formula to them it was like a habit.

So now all alts are good for is the occasional guild creation.
I would like to see guild’s get some better guild perks. I would also like to see the non-scammers who where truly good with ML get some form of it back. But I think the days of getting into a random guild upon birth are done.

13 Likes

kinda like most people have said, blizzard made the game extremely convenient for casual players, with lfg and lfr the ones who log on for a couple hours a week can get their stuff done without having to talk to others, which works well for them. Because of that, social guilds suffers since people dont need to put in the work to socialize and plan around each other’s play time.
mid/Hardcore guilds are still there tho but the ones i’ve seen are fairly business oriented and care more about getting stuff done than making friends