WrA is too crowded, any other active RP realms

WrA is full to bursting, to the point that the lag is unbearable sometimes and completely unplayable. MG is probably in the same boat. It’s only gonna get worse until well into the next expansion as new and returning players come back and as azerite gear continues to overwhelm the servers with their billions of proccing passive effects a second until they are completely replaced. Can’t do anything about azerite gear but I can think about moving to a less overcrowded realm.

Are there any RP realms still doing active RP other than these two? I know plenty of RP realms are still populated, but sadly don’t seem to have an RP community anymore.

EDIT: NO TECHNICAL DISCUSSIONS, THIS IS AN INQUIRY INTO OTHER SERVER COMMUNITIES

Cenarion Circle/Sisters of Elune has a small but active RP community. Most of the RP is guild or event-based, but there is some walkup RP, usually focused on the Blue Recluse in Stormwind. We love having new people come to the server and will give you a fine welcome!

3 Likes

I’d like to point out that lag is also based on your own connection to and distance FROM the server you’re playing on. I’m in the rural American Midwest with internet barely faster than dial-up, and WrA is west coast, but even at peak server time in Orgrimmar I’m still hovering at a VERY functional connection speed that doesn’t impede gameplay or chat aspects of the game.

If you’re getting that bad of a ping then you’re either VERY far away from the server or there may be something wrong with your Internet overall.

4 Likes

It is possible as I live in a rural town on the East Coast, but the problem with that is this is a relatively recent problem and I’ve been fine playing on WrA and other PST servers for years from where I am with no issues, even once raiding during a hurricane! I was even able to play fine most of BfA, only having issues starting with 8.3 and slowly getting worse.

Also I know I am not the only one having issues with ping regardless of service issues! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCJWYUuKAZo

How’s the variety of guild RP over there? What sorts of storylines and such do people tend to find?

I’ve just unlocked a couple of allied races and will be leveling alts; I wouldn’t mind rolling one over on Cenarion and dipping my toes.

Unfortunately, Rizzyfitz already said it best - changing servers is not going to fix your problem.

Furthermore, you need to get out of the major cities if you want to enjoy the full RP experience larger servers like MG and WrA have to offer. Joining these servers and then sitting in lag-heavy Stormwind is like going to Disneyworld and never leaving Epcot, you’re missing the point and all the other attractions.

I just had cross-faction RP with two different Alliance guilds as we discussed the construction of a ship. It lasted four hours in total and was in two places, one in Dalaran and the other in Kul Tiras. We encountered more groups RPing in Tiragarde while on our way to a docks than we encountered in Dalaran, and we still had walkups in the Ledgermain Lounge on a Wednesday. Nobody encountered any lag.

The good RP is not in the major cities. You need to take to the forums and the Discord servers and find one or two RP leaders in your server or community, and make an effort to join their events. You will immediately find more engaging, more intimate RP in these groups of 30-60 people than any of the RP sessions a major city has to offer.

2 Likes

Oh yes the hustle and bustle of Swamp of Sorrows or Hellfire Penninsula must be too too much, I need to go even more out of the way like Draenor or something where there are less people.

This isn’t a capital city thing, this is like everywhere I go. I’m not complaining about RP being laggy I’m complaining about the game being unplayable during primetime hours as I try to level alts.

So from I am gathering either it is me (which I doubt), in which case I need to find a EST or as close to it I can get server or it is the server which I KNOW is over capacity so I either way I have everything to gain by leaving WrA.

I’m very annoyed at how I was just asking if any other servers had RP communities changed to a tech talk I’ll probably get in trouble over this for posting in the wrong forum. So far Orywn has been the only helpful person on this thread.

I think we have a pretty standard mix of guild themes. Off the top of my head I know we have some mercenary guilds, my guard guild, a messenger service guild, a bard guild, and a couple others that I’m less sure about. What’s consistent between all of them is that the RPers are creative and friendly.

Since my guild is the guard guild, we mostly get pulled into stories involving crime or protecting the kingdom. The longer stories usually involve more serious crimes like murder or kidnappings. We had a guild storyline earlier where we were combating the Horde in the Swamp of Sorrows for a bit that ended with a fight against a mechanical dragon on an airship. We had a lot of fun with that one. If you visit the CC-SoE forum, there are a few active threads running with plots and ideas. That would help you get more of a picture of what’s going on right now. I encourage you and everyone else reading this to check it out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am going to be executed today, if anyone is interested in ongoing rp on CC. This guy deserves his execution, by the way. Murderer!!

Come join the fun!!

1 Like

OKAY I AM NOW SURE THAT IT ISN’T ME

I stood on the exact same spot on WrA, CC and SoE during primetime and checked out my ping!
My results?

WrA (Full pop): 2063
CC (Med pop): 213
SoE (Med pop): 167

While there is some difference between CC and SoE due to timezones, both CC and WrA are both PST realms but the big difference is WrA is an overfilled server that actually gave me an 80 second queue tonight while CC is a steady medium pop server

SO YES IT IS THE SERVER THAT IS THE CAUSE OF IT BEING UNPLAYABLE, NOT MY END

Then I don’t know what to tell you. I mean honestly I SHOULD NOT be able to even play the game, my internet speed is, the last time a speedtest even worked for me and didn’t time out, was 0.73mbps. No idea why you’re having such a lousy ping.

1 Like

I got a new pc this last winter and it helps a lot, got a killer graphics card and I have absolutely no lag anywhere. I know not everyone can afford a new pc. But the game is expecting more than it used to. Sign of the times.

Before I got my pc, I had to run everything on lowest settings and then still had lag in peak times. It does make a difference.

Pheta vi acahachi this thread has gotten derailed.

Dropped frame rates is not the same as lag and bad ping. Dropped frame rates is when things are running fine but still sticking and having consistent jerky movement. Lag is when the frame rate is as smooth as butter at 100+fps but there is a delay in responses, including other players appearing to be running in place.

Graphics and hardware have nothing to do with ping, though a good processor can help make up for it. That being said my computer is pretty good, not the best but consistently running 75+ fps in Boralus so hardware is not an issue.

Also you are on Cenarion Circle, not Wyrmrest Accord so its like apples and oranges when it comes to server population and ping to me.

Server population does not cause your ping to go up.

In fact, when you log in, unless you’re in a major city, you’re probably not even on your home server anymore. You’re probably on a World Server.

This sounds like something you need to be bringing up on a technical support thread, because you might be getting lower ping on other servers for now, but I promise you that if you truly are experiencing 2k+ lag spikes on WrA, it’s only a matter of time before you experience them elsewhere.

I’ve been playing MMOs for 20 years now, and the only difference in lag comes from the physical location of the server or the network the server uses. You don’t have to take my word for it, but I wanted to make sure someone let you now that this isn’t a problem on the server’s end.

1 Like

I have characters on all the rp servers. I left WRA and MG for other reasons. All I know is my new pc performs so much better than my old laptop. Technically I could not tell you why.

That is the thing, this wasn’t meant to be a technical support issue

I just wanted to know about the other RP servers since last I heard WrA and MG had a monopolizing grip on all RP since all the other RP servers died with the player drop offs over the years, then other people aka like putzes like you derailed it.

As for your promise based on your “20 years of mmo experience” I’m not the only one having these issues, including players with better credentials than you. It doesn’t explain why I have been having no issues on WrA until a few weeks ago with the ever increase of players coming back thanks to the Winds buff and doesn’t explain why I have no issues with other servers or Classic.

It’s only WrA, which whether it is because of my end or the server means I need a new server.

And because you don’t know the reason why the ping is so bad, then maybe instead of complaining you should go make a thread in Technical Support so that you either get confirmation that it’s not you, or get started on the process of figuring out the actual issue.

Sounds more like you just wanted a reason to diss on WrA at this point.

2 Likes

Indeed, you won’t find much rp at all on the other servers. This I can tell you for certain. Most of the rp has moved to WRA or MG.

You made a point to complain about lag and I simply said I do not experience it since I got a new pc. I had problems like you suggested you have when I had my old laptop. If it is not your pc, then it is probably your isp. But nver mind, you will only continue to whine because you are right and everyone else is wrong. So good luck to you getting it solved, and try Emerald Dream. I hear they still have some rpers there.

2 Likes

I would recommend Emerald Dream

1 Like

Another option for anyone looking for a smaller, but active RP community is Moon Guard Horde. We have plenty of Alliance folks, but our red side could definitely use a few more bodies. Here’s a forum thread about our faction imbalance issues if you’re interested and would like to help out and get involved.