WoW won't update

This was my fix, as others have mentioned:

1. Close Battle.net application.

2. Go into your applications to find your main WoW folder called World of Warcraft, which has all versions inside of it (ie retail or classic).

3. Move that main folder to some other location to break the file path for the Battle.net app to find your games. This will allow you to re-install them without deleting or damaging your old files.

4. Open battle.net and it will tell you it cant find your games. You should now have the option to install them.

5. Begin re-installing each WoW version you play. The first time you click install, the app will try to choose a file path for your new WoW main folder, you may wish to override that path to put it back in the original location. The app will then use that path for all other installs.

6. After all versions have been installed DO NOT launch them yet. Go back to your old WoW folder (where ever you put it) and copy over the WTF and Interface folders for each game version into the new install folders. This will restore your addons and settings. You may want to also copy over your Screenshots.

7. Go back to Battle.net app and fire up each game. This will create the remaining folders like Cache and Logs into the new installs.

8. Lastly, copy over the old Battle.net app to the new WoW main folder as well, that’s where mine was stored, or download a fresh copy. If you elect to download a new copy you will have to tell it where to find your games by starting the app and going to the apple menu preferences > downloads > scan for games > locate > pick the new main folder.

9. DONE !!! The battle.net app may try to do the updates thing again, but for me it was successful this time. If/when everything looks good, you can delete your old wow folder.

Im sure we will eventually find that we only had to delete or reinstall one simple thing, but until we know what that is, this larger re-install solution worked for me.

Good Luck !

8 Likes