WoW Wireless Mouse

Yeah, I know it’s 5 years old, but I love my WoW Wireless Mouse by Steelseries. Its drivers no longer work, but even up through 8.1 Bliz kept it going with in-game support.

Today, it again stopped recognizing any buttons in-game above button 4. Yes, I’ve tried the console commands. Both of them. Yeah, I’ve trashed my WoW folder.

Any ideas?

1 Like

A new mouse?

Maybe try this: https://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

Discussion about Steelseries: https://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/example/#example_026

I’ve used it in the past to make a driver for an old Belkin gaming keypad. It works well for it’s intended purpose. Not too difficult to learn.

Neat software, but it isn’t helping me. It sees the mouse, but isn’t registering any button pushes above the default 4 buttons that MacOS can see. It knows it’s a WoW Wireless Mouse, but there’s some sort of software block on it. USB problem maybe?

Thanks so much for your help. I love this dang mouse.

To clarify on the original post, was it these commands used? If not go ahead and run them, or if yes just ignore all that bit.

I have also seen some cases of this being resolved by uninstalling the SteelSeries Engine software.

Even though the drivers are no longer working (at least properly) OS-wide, if they’re installed and loaded, software like Controllermate or USB Overdrive will not handle the mouse properly as its USB driver is preventing doing so. Uninstalling the SteelSeries software and drivers should then allow any third party HID control software to see the mouse and all of its buttons, and thus let you assign keybinds to them either in WoW or in the third party software.

If you go the third party software route, you should try setting up your acceleration curve and setting each button to whatever the software calls the “default” (basically letting the button be handled by the mouse itself). This way WoW will see what the mouse provides and you can bind keys that way. If that fails, do the acceleration curve and then assign a specific keybind to each button as you desire, saving it as an application profile specific to WoW so that only WoW uses that setup and then inside WoW assign your keybind to the corresponding keyboard “key” each mouse button has been assigned in the third party software.

Example: If you assign the middle (wheel) button to the “C” key in the third party software and want to use that as a keybind, inside WoW press the middle mouse button and it will show up as “C” for the keybind.

Special note: Because of how OS X “sees” keyboards, a multibutton mouse using keyboard binds may cause you to not be able to press more than three keys at a time depending on your keyboard and/or mouse. Using a keyboard with full keyboard rollover, often called “N-key rollover” or “1xx key rollover” should help avoid that particular problem. Most mechanical keyboards are designed for gaming and thus have at least some form of extended N-key rollover for multi-key combo usage.

Yes, it was those commands. I also uninstalled the Steelseries software and got no place. It’s very strange – both ControllerMate (which I installed and uninstalled) and USB Overdrive (ditto) recognize it as a device, but simply won’t see any buttons above the Fifth button. I’m 90 percent sure it’s not just broken hardware, but it’s just driving me nuts trying to figure out what it is.

Any other ideas?

You guys are very helpful! Thanks.

SteerMouse is the best mouse management tool for macOS by far.

Is there any update on this yet?

I saw there was a similar thread over on the EU forums - https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/steelseries-wow-mouse-not-working-after-todays-update/54519

I haven’t played much since the patch disabled most of the buttons on the mouse and am hopeful this will be resolved soon. Thank you again for the help!!!

2 Likes

Still not working… any updates or ETA? With the new patch upcoming, it would be great if this was fixed. Thank you!

1 Like

I haven’t fixed my problem yet. I’ve switched mouses, which I don’t like doing. :-\

Is this being worked on?

Is this being worked on at all?

Still nothing?

Hey Lieux,

Thank you for your continued correspondence on this. I’ll do my best to continue investigating the problem.

To confirm, which version of SteelSeries Engine was being used originally? During my investigation I found that this device may work better with Engine 2 instead of Engine 3. That may be something to consider.

We cannot technically support doing this but I have also seen a few users with the “Advanced Interface Options” addon that were able to use the addon to resolve this.

If any of the mouse software lets you re-assign keys, does it let you change the extra mouse buttons to number pad keys? I had a similar mouse a few years back where I had to do this for it to work with some games.

If none of this works please let us know. Thank you for your patience in these matters.

Thanks so much for responding.

Originally, I was using no version of the SS engine. WoW recognizes the mouse natively on Mac without the software since shortly after 8.0. It then stopped sometime after 8.1.5.

However:

I recently patched to 10.14.5 and something in that, or the 8.2 patch, woke the mouse up again. At least for the time being. So my advice is for folks to update to 10.14.5 and see if that helps.

Unfortunately, I have not been as lucky… I have been updated 10.14.5 and the 8.2 patch and the mouse still does not have any functionality for the additional buttons. I have tried various restarts, have used macros from the past, have tried advanced interface options add-on with no success. Like Lieux said above, the mouse has always worked natively without device patches. I have been using it for about nine years (I think). Any additional updates or advice are welcome! :slight_smile:

Validorn,

Lieux also did several other steps, so it’s possible it was a combination of the updates and some of the previous steps in the thread. The most common fixes for this kind of thing are listed here:

And here:

Lieux commented that he did not used an engine as the mouse is basically a plug and play, same with me. I have not downloaded any SteelSeries engines or subsequent engine upgrades. As for the commands, they have been attempted too. This same issue has happened in past patches (like 8.0) and to be honest, it just seems to fix itself. I assume it is due to a Mac patch, blizzard patch or some combination of the two? The hunt continues…

So, my suspicion is that there’s something about the way that the WoW client for Mac interfaces directly with the mouse that either gets reset or changed by other USB devices you attach, which then makes it impossible for WoW to recognize it.

Here’s my advice, which is a pain in the butt.

•Uninstall WoW and all mods.

•Unplug everything except the WoW Mouse and the keyboard you’re using.

• Uninstall ALL mouse control software – SteelSeries drivers, Steermouse, everything.

• For good measure, reboot with only those 2 USB devices attached and do a kernel cache rebuild – in a Terminal window, type sudo kextcache -I /

• Reinstall a base WoW installation, no mods.

• Start WoW. If the mouse is still not recognized, unplug and replug it in while in WoW.

• If it’s still not recognized, download and install Advanced Interface Options and check the “detect WoW mouse” option, or simply use the console commands listed above:

• If that doesn’t work the first time, you may restart the game and have it work. This may involve fully quitting both WoW and the Battle. net app each time you restart the game.

That’s the best I have so far. I’m 75 percent certain that something has to do with the fact that the old drivers are 32-bit and MacOS has almost entirely phased out support for 32-bit anything, including drivers.

Thank you for the help. I reinstalled the game, tried it with and with out mods, used the macros, restarted the game & battle net multiple times… still no success. I’ll keep testing different possible solutions as I find them and let everyone know if I find anything. Hopefully Blizzard beats me to it :slight_smile: