WoW vs. FF14

There’s a minimum performance required to do any type of instanced PvE content, in both WoW and Final Fantasy. If I show up to raid without any legendary and without a ranked up covenant the I’m going to be kicked because I do less damage than I add to the boss’ health bar. Nothing will physically stop me from entering the door and being carried, but I absolutely should not be there. The minimum player power required to get into Savage raiding in FFXIV is much much lower comparatively, and since I can get there through either crafted gear or tomestones, the barrier to entry can be crossed in a wide variety of ways and doesn’t require me to interact with any content outside of what I’m trying to get into. (Raiding.) Other content in FFXIV is similar. Becoming powerful in PotD doesn’t require me to do any content other than PotD.

Basically this. If I don’t want to engage in Savage raiding, I have a billion ways to kill hours upon hours in FFIV. If I want to avoid raiding above LFR in WoW or dungeons above Mythic 0 my options for content are pet battling and Torghast. That’s why I said in my long post earlier, FFXIV does low-stakes content extremely well. WoW struggles with it. WoW does high-stakes content extremely well. FFXIV struggles with it.

7 Likes

Let 'em at this point. They’ll be the only ones playing this garbage game in a year if this trajectory holds true. I think the most damning thing about it is when Blizzard tries an idea and it flops. They don’t change it outside of content patches. A lot of these problems were problems for SEVEN MONTHS before being addressed. Bozja was getting fixes and nerfs as early as the second day when it was too ridiculous and pissing people off.

They build the entire game about the destination, not the journey. Throw everything into the endgame and leave nothing outside of it. Know what other game did this? Wildstar. Know what happened to Wildstar? Free to play then shut down due to lack of engagement.

3 Likes

First, you don’t “have to” do anything, alts are not a requirement to play the game. What you mean is you “choose to”. With all due respect, if you’re choosing to do something you don’t like, you should step back and look at your life.
Second, In general, Final Fantasy values your time. Expansions are expansions, not just a bunch of new systems/zones that soon become irrelevant. Zones stay relevant no matter what level. WoW doesn’t value your time. Each expansion is just some new system that will soon become irrelevant, a bunch of zones that soon become irrelevant, ect. That’s the difference.

2 Likes

I dont know how people can say this but final fantasy 14 is light years ahead of WoW in terms of graphics. especially in terms of sheer magnitude and the environments blowing you away. you can summarize each zone in shadowlands to a color and its all very bland and basic. minus Revendreth which I remember being like damn the first time I saw it… and then came navigating around… it blows.

but actually playing the entire MSQ and seeing some of the stuff FFXIV is doing, makes WoW look extremely old and dated and just plain bad. I cant remember the last time Ive taken screenshots in the game, but in FFXIV its all the time. eulmore at night, some of the raid encounters in the empty and Eden… the game is just blowing warcraft out of the water in every way lately. including game play and community. it’s a way better game. wasn’t always… but right now it for sure is.

8 Likes

my comparison: if you have a penchant to mass murder everything you see, play wow. alliance has that quest in BFA that lets you kill 200 goblins who were taking a vacation.

2 Likes

If it’s Horde, put it to the sword.

Speaking of, that background of yours is looking suspiciously red… :thinking:

the ex-warchief needed her soldiers…

1 Like

also I hope for the people reading this and curious to try it, that they come and try it. it was one hell of an experience and I am loving it over there. it’s not something that can be written down so easily… but the experience is worth it. the game right now is just firing on all cylinders and it’s a breath of fresh air compared to whats goin on over here and with Blizzard.

it’s really something anybody who loves RPGs should experience, else they are missing out on something special. but to get immersed in the story and play thru it? you will see for yourself that it’s one of the best games ever made.

4 Likes

Thanks for your thoughtful posts in this thread!

1 Like

Wrong.

Ion has been at the helm for 5-6 years and WoW’s profitability has grown since. Talking about success or failure of the game is not a winning line of logic, Ion Hazzikostas is, for lack of a better phrase, “crushing the haters”. You need to come at this from another angle if you want to find success.

Imagine thinking a game that repeatedly is declining in MAUs with every earnings call, keeps having to deflect and not address player retention and instead focuses on “new players” and the fact microtransactions are included in their profitability of the game means it’s going well. All while another and more popular version from over 14 years ago is also counted in these metrics where you visibly see more people playing.

Holy hell, intellectually dishonest or just this unashamedly stupid?

Pro tip: One player buying 5 tokens is more profitable to Blizzard than 5 people subscribing to the game. For every 3 tokens sold it’s equal to 4 people subscribing to the game as far as revenue goes.

7 Likes

Apples and oranges. Despite being tab target MMOs, both feel very different.

I enjoy both for different reasons. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I don’t know, maybe I am in very early areas such as Gridania, and I’ve seen cool parts and environments.

However, it is also a personal opinion because I like and feel more confortable in colorful, more cartoonish areas such as the ones WoW has (overly realistic areas in games are not my most favorite thing). It looks clean instead, the forest of Gridania, despite being nice, can feel unconfortable and the trees and areas can look like a painting with acrylic paint.

Not sure about newer expansion zones, but the clear cartoonish coloring of WoW feels more confortable for me, and is easy to get in, even in old zones as Teldrassil/Ashenvale are still the best forests I’ve seen in online games. Feels deep, clear and the mix of many trees don’t look strange.

And yes, I have FF at max graphics but not WoW.

That’s not why wildstar failed.

It failed because it was created by people that didn’t think WoW’s end game was hard core enough.

Nothing is mandatory.

You’re the biggest FFXIV fanboy. You post in every FFXIV thread. It’s pointless discussing anything with you.

Ah yeah, that’s why the main bulk of people quitting were the players who had nothing to do because they didn’t raid period. . . smfh.

You’ve never actually played the game, I see.

Keep goin Indra :slight_smile: :slight_smile: just wait. I am working on collecting all my screenshots and uploading them to a folder for ppl to see… but some of these are just mind-blowing environments and design.

I was not impressed with the world in a realm reborn… it picked up a bit in Heavensward, and alot more in Stormblood, and then Shadowbringers is just like holy crap. you can really feel the evolution of the game, and in a way, that kind of matches the story. which is what also makes it feel more special the more and more you progress.

2 Likes

Aythina, you’ve been posting in this thread nonstop for over an hour now. I think we get it. You should probably take a break.

I’m almost done with ARR and that’s what I’ve had to do for the main story quests. Back and forth. More back and forth.