WoW Token FAQ: A Common Sense Guide

Q: What is the WoW Token?

A: The WoW Token is both:

• a Blizzard-sanctioned way of spending real money in exchange for World of Warcraft gold; and,
  • a means of earning game time by farming gold rather than by paying the monthly subscription fee

Q: How does the WoW Token work?

A: The process is as follows:

1. Player A spends the price of a WoW Token in real money (the monthly subscription fee plus an additional amount);
  2. Player A lists the WoW Token on the Auction House, the price of which is set by the current supply-and-demand-driven cost;
  3. Player B earns a sufficient amount of gold via in-game activity;
  4. Player B buys out Player A’s WoW Token auction;
  5. Player A receives the total amount of gold Player B spent in buying out their auction; and,
  6. Player B receives the WoW Token, which when used, adds a month of game time to their account.

Q: Isn’t Real Money Trading (RMT) in any form bad for the player experience?

A: This is a nuanced issue and has been subject to debate for decades—all things being equal, my answer is yes—but the most important point is that the implied premise of the question (that allowing RMT or not is a choice) is itself faulty. Blizzard finds itself in a role similar to that of a government in its attempts to deal with the abuse of an illicit substance. They can either: (a) declare war on human nature by engaging in an endless crusade to stop it; (b) alter the nature of the game itself so as to eliminate its economic incentives altogether (do away with trading of any kind between players); or, (c) legalize and regulate it in an attempt to disincentivize other problems of equal (or even greater) importance, e.g. botting, account hacking, etc.

Q: Isn’t Blizzard just cashing in on some players’ immoral behavior?

A: Blizzard is not a charity. It is a company like any other, i.e. its goal is to produce a product that people want to buy. Regardless of the wholesome values its representatives may at times express, the ultimate goal is to make money. There’s nothing immoral about that.

Q: Still, though, they’re just fleecing their own players to the tune of $20 a pop, right?

A: No. First of all, the vast majority of the price of the WoW Token is the farming player’s month of game time (see above), as they are not creating the gold out of thin air per WoW Token sold. And, the amount of money they make per transaction isn’t just the difference between the price of the WoW Token and the price of a month of game time (e.g. credit card gateways aren’t free to use, all services require implementation, maintenance, support, etc.).

Q: But didn’t Blizzard promise never to bring the WoW Token to Classic?

A: They’ve said many times that they really wanted to avoid it, but no, we were never expressly promised that they wouldn’t.

Q: Are there any benefits to introducing the WoW Token?

A: Yes, several:

• other illicit activities surrounding unauthorized RMT (e.g. botting, account hacking, etc.) will be greatly diminished, although not eliminated altogether;
  • if you, personally, can afford a WoW Token and would prefer not to farm gold when you would otherwise need to in order to enjoy the game, now you can without fear of contributing to the above or losing access to your account;
  • people of less means—especially those in the developing world—now have another, perhaps more personally viable, means of playing the game and participating in its community; and,
  • profits from sales of WoW Tokens will be going to the company making the game you like to play—potentially making it better—rather than to nefarious actors who prey upon your fellow players.

OP note: I may continue to update this I continue to read and hear silliness regarding the WoW Token in Classic.

7 Likes

Way too long

1 Like

Yikes

I’m sorry, I don’t speak bootlicker

12 Likes

you missed one.

Bobby gets a new yacht

10 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much opinion in an FAQ.

7 Likes

Lol :joy: I like that people are not as angry about lvl 70 boosts? Do you know how much gold people would pay for that service before Blizzard gave that to us?

I believe the wow token does generate gold out of thin air, but only if the auction expires, at least that is my understanding of how it worked in retail.

The answer to all of your questions:

PLAYER CREATED PROBLEM

Don’t forget to add that buying gold and using said gold to buy a token is about 30% cheaper then paying the normal $15 for a sub

2 Likes

This was my favorite point.

Guys, rumor has it that they are working on a classic + and now I feel more optimistic about Wrath era, maybe a return to BC era, RDF at ICC, etc. The token could help pay for all that.

And I doubt they will give this new classic + the retail treatment, seeing all the backlash that has come from primarily the classic Andies.

1 Like

I am not sure if OP is a masterclass at satire but w/e…

In the past 24 hours gold buying skyrocketed actoss gold selling websites…preach just showed on stream gehenas ran out of gold to sell.

On reddit theres currently an AMA with a gold seller thats fairly informative for those unaware.

They had over 24 hours to come up with a response. And the best we could get is a few paragraphs with no actual data. Just a single line showing banned accounts over supposedly a 2 week period.

I dont buy it.

I sent a whole bunch of information about an auction house RMT team on thunderfury in TBC with fairly definitive proof once i got friendly enough with them. That team had 100% control of the ah up untill the server died.

That anti cheat team didnt do jack, they never replied asking for more evidence over any time period.

The token gets Blizzard gold trading revenue which rightfully belongs to them. The alternative is it going to other people (China) that don’t contribute any of it back to the game unless you count funding more bots we’re trying to get rid of.

Good post, will be sharing this in future threads!

im not trolling, this is a serious question. Does the performance of the classic team strike you as a group of people who care enough about classic to want to do classic+?

4 Likes

As long as they cater to a classic Andy mentality, then yes.

Finally someone understands the reasoning.

You forgot:

A way for blizz to completely ignore the botting issue and pretend like it fixed it.

How little Billy doesn’t get dinner tonight because mommy spent the food money on tokens to pwn in her real life.

Heres common sense, DONT BUY THEM.

Sigh. This isn’t true, and tacking on “although not eliminated altogether” doesn’t make it true. If the state of retail is a demonstration of a bot population that is “greatly diminished”, then this statement becomes incredibly misleading because of the sheer amount of retail bots that exist.

Did you consider the idea that when gold selling sites reduce their prices below the WoW Token, it allows buyers to get gold cheaply, and then exchange that illicit gold for a WoW Token? They then can pay for their monthly sub at a far cheaper rate than buying the token. This is all very silly.