Wow sub numbers

• BfA dropped sub numbers to a record low of 4 million before classic release, for which the sub numbers doubled

• Shadowlands also dropped sub numbers to a record low of 4.5 million even with wotlk classic and a covid pandemic going on, in which sub numbers would normally be expected to increase significantly

• DF is currently doing well with over 7 million subs

Source: https://twitter.com/StaySafeWarlock/status/1771677033103609882

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Glad the game is seemingly at a rather healthy level of sub numbers again. It’s a good sign that they did something really well with DF that most post stuck around and plan on sticking around for the next saga.

I’m super hopeful this positive trend continues going forward

4 Likes

Hmm. Would reviving Kael’thas rise the numbers? :microscope::robot:

I believe he’s still a fan favorite around the community and Midnight would fit his story. :memo::robot:

…only trouble is people aren’t going to like the lack of tension between Kael’thas and Jania. :robot::sweat_drops:

2 Likes

Bfa bombing was well deserved.

3 Likes

If I understood the theory correctly, the numbers are guesswork based on an amalgamation of sources and details. The fact that a certain streamer was involved makes me question it - he is largely a bloviator and a carnival barker.

However, the line graph seems like a believable base line - I just am not sure about the numbers attached and the theory behind them.

Just for the sake of high drama, even though it is darker than WoW seems to be going and out of character for a redeemed Kaelthas….

I want a moment where Kaelthas returns to Silvermoon, just assuming he would be king. But Lorthemar stands in his way, and says: “there will never again be a king ruling Quelthalas.”

So Kaelthas replies with:

“You overstep your authority, regent lord.”

Then he flamestrikes Lorthemar into ash right at the entrance to Silvermoon.

Thalyssra attacks in rage, but Kaelthas banishes her (like the WC 3 spell he had). Giving her some snark about going back to rule her homeland, because Quelthalas has its proper ruler, again.

And the Sindorei go with it. Though the Horde at large is totally mad about it, they have little choice but to accept Kaelthas as the leader of the Blood Elves, and a member of the Council.

Lorthemar has been bugging me since Nazjatar. And I didn’t like that he said there won’t be a king again- he is a regent lord. Seems self serving.

3 Likes

Until blizzard reports official numbers its all just BS. We can look at their actions though. Removing the horde vs alliance barrier. Nerfing the hall of fame achievement into the ground. Putting most of dragon flight open world content on timers to try and accumulate people as much as possible. Cross realm zones and layering that comes with its own issues. In short all of Blizzard’s action point towards a shrinking player base. Its quite normal to go about doing a few world quests or exploring and not come across another player for hours at a time.

5 Likes

Worried that would make things worse. :robot::sweat_drops:

I was considering he could return as a spirit of vengeance by making Dar’khan a returning foe since that character has knowledge in the void. :ghost:

…or maybe Dar’khan summons Kael’thas and we have to aid the fallen prince. :robot::magic_wand:

1 Like

It’s weird to be in a situation where the overall sub number don’t exactly reflect the health of the “main game” anymore. Retail could still be doing badly but so long as it has all its cousin games to support the bottom line it’ll keep trucking along.

Though it had some good moments (the return of Azshara, Kul Tiras and Zandalar) there were a lot of issues. One small example, two of my most hated cinematics in WoW came from BfA (the Burning of Teldrassil and N’Zoth’s defeat cinematic).

I would love that.

3 Likes

Impressive if accurate. WoW has fallen so far from mainstream gaming discourse that I didn’t think it remained that much a titan of industry.

Honestly, I believe it because it lines up with my personal biases – namely, that BFA and Shadowlands were terrible and Dragonflight has at least been all right.

But genuinely, story and not, Dragonflight has seen more engagement from the devs, most of the changes have been at least not awful, and there’s some interesting things they’re trying. Some I could take or leave (I freely admit professions got too complicated for me), but some have been great.

I had hoped Bfa would finally kill the game because no one should be able to suffer through such an one sided story written by the most notorius Sylvanas hater as main writer.

Well, it’d already be a better story than whatever Blizzard has planned for Midnight, I’ll say that much. The trouble is how difficult it becomes. For example, right now he’s serving penance with the Venthyr.

I am ALL for retconning the hell out of Shadowlands, mind you, but I don’t see Blizzard doing that.

Could the living revive Kael’thas somehow? I don’t know. I could see our new Arbiter deciding he gets a second chance just because its Pelagos, but then that takes a further dump on how little death matters.

Ideally… speaking for myself, I’d want to see Kael’thas come back almost as a Wild God, with Al’ar being responsible for it. The Phoenix God merging its essence into Kael’thas, leading to his rebirth, feels… well, I won’t say it’s top tier writing, but it’s certainly acceptable. Maybe Al’ar decides Kael’thas has redeemed himself enough in the Shadowlands that he’s earned the right to be reborn.

This should lead to some juicy internal conflict within Quel’Thalas itself, but Kael’thas now with a major power up putting him on the same level as the likes of Azshara or Medhiv, becomes so instrumental to the High Kingdom’s salvation that the likes of Lor’themar have no choice but to shut up, sit down, and let the man do his duty.

Let Lor’themar quietly retire to Suramar as Thalyssra’s trophy husband.

3 Likes

I will take any deal that makes us get rid of Bob. After his deal at SoO, Nazjatar and the handling of Dalaran I don’t want his sorry booty anywhere near the bloodelf story.

I’d rather use this as my basis for success:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2024-03-22/blizzard-entertainment-makes-big-changes-as-overwatch-2-struggles

Failing to get any profit-sharing bonus is rare at Blizzard and is the result of a major policy change that was enacted in 2023. Previously, employees would receive bonuses based on the overall performance of the company. But last summer, the payouts became tied to the performance of each specific franchise. Since their titles were more successful in 2023, teams on games such as Diablo and World of Warcraft received bonuses this month, but the Overwatch developers weren’t so lucky.

If there is one thing companies don’t do lightly, it is share money with their employees. For now, this is proof the devs are hitting whatever target the higher ups are looking for and is indication that WoW is profitable.

I enjoyed Dragonflight immensely and I honestly hope they keep up the good work going forward. Here’s to hoping TWW is at least enjoyable :dracthyr_nod:

1 Like

Dar’Khan has some potential if the forces of the Void needed a necromancer although Kael’thas would be impossible to bind to their will. Might make a great cinematic. :popcorn::robot:

I’m uncertain as to the status of Dar’khan, but at the same time I’m positive Blizzard wouldn’t care and re-use him if they felt like it.

An undead Kael’thas lacks a certain appeal, in my opinion. I’m probably just biased towards Al’ar because it provides a significant power-up, and the Horde desperately needs a powerhouse leader.

On some level, I think it’d be interesting if perhaps Al’ar and Kael’thas had a pact of sorts, one where Al’ar should revive him so long as he’s worthy. A kind of insurance policy of sorts. At least that way Kael’thas’ sudden return has an explanation: after sufficient time spent working towards penance with the Venthyr, he finally reaches the point Al’ar considers him worthy of his return.

3 Likes

Make it even better, the Venthyr never find out about the deal with Al’ar and are confused as hell when Kael is suddenly amongst the living as a Demi god with the power to self ressurrect after death.

Would be cool in my opinion. And would be a nice buffer against people like Jaina alliance side.

Kael, Loa’jin, Talanji with Bwom on her side, would make the an awesome powerhouse trio for the horde and give them the magical might to counter the obscene power that most alliance leaders have.

(I think Genn is like the only leader/important person the alliance has that isn’t stupidly overpowered)

3 Likes