WOW pretty much maxing cpu/gpu since patch

Since the patch performance has turned into hot garbage pretty much. I had zero issues before it. My FPS is lower, I get odd little graphical stutters/lag from time to time, but it’s especially noticeable if I try to stream because the amount of resources wow is hogging doesn’t leave enough for obs to function properly so the stream is just wow stuttering away constantly, even though to me it’s only doing it here and there the same as it does without obs open. With or without it open, wow has me sitting at like 99% cpu and gpu use. I can get that a bit lower if I turn my game into minecraft by turning the render scale down significantly from 100% and enabling vsync, but that’s not really an acceptable solution since it just turns everything into a pixelated mess.

Things I have tried: newest nvidia drivers, clean driver installs, going back to a previously working version of the drivers, resetting windows, uninstalling razer synapse, no addons, repairing wow, every directx setting now available, and pretty much every graphic setting change possible. Windows game stuff, nvidia, discord overlays etc are all disabled (and always were prior to the patch, too, since I just don’t like them.) Problem occurs with or without nvidia’s geforce experience installed along with the drivers. I’m a bit at my wits end with this nonsense at this point. Any ideas on an actual solution?

DxDiag was long enough to put this over the post length limit, so it’s on pastebin - YanbUiRm

2 Likes

Are you sure you’ve tried “DX 11 legacy”? Because that is literally single threaded and cannot max out a 4 core CPU.

Graphics settings were also reset with the patch. Go over every setting and make sure something isn’t accidentally turned on. If you want to take screenshots of both your System>Graphics and System>Advanced tab, I can help take a look.

Also would be helpful if you run WoW in fullscreen-windowed mode, cap background fps to 60, and have Task Manager open in front showing all logical process cores. I don’t believe WoW is even capable of maxing out a 4+ core processor

Yes, I’m sure I’ve tried DX11 legacy. I may have phrased this poorly, wow itself is not using 99% of the cpu (though it certainly is with the gpu), but it’s using over triple of what it used to (even with dx11 legacy), and resulting in that level of usage overall. The next highest things are literally just sysmain service, searchfilterhost and searchindexer processes. Nothing unusual or out of the ordinary, the only change is wow.

I’d noticed they were reset with the patch and had changed things to my normal settings since then. I’ve also tried with the settings at the lowest possible with everything possible disabled. Same behaviour unless I do what I said above and drop the render scale well below 100% and enable vsync, which just turns the game into minecraft. Already run fullscreen windowed, background fps capped at 30. I tried changing that to 60 to see if it made any difference, it doesn’t.

Same behaviour unless I do what I said above and drop the render scale well below 100% and enable vsync

There is no reason why that should happen unless you are in a particularly populated shard, which I have ran into during WotLK when everyone and their grandmas were in Dalaran.

I would check temperatures tbh. Could be caused by throttling. Start by running HWMonitor in the background while you play. Then tab back to HWmonitor after 15 minutes to see what the highest temperature recorded was.

Also 99% GPU means your settings are too high. I have a 970, which is very comparable to your 1060. I know exactly when I should be turning my settings down. Raid, Borealus, or even just some dense forests, or a large open body of water, all have vastly different performance characteristics.

I’m on one of the deadest shards around probably, it’s on an old low pop pve server. The only thing more painful than recruiting to it is the economy on it.

CPU temp - 25 min, 51 max. Averaging 39.
GPU temp - 41 min, 78 max. Averaging 60.

I don’t think the issue is related to my settings being too high. I’m hitting that even if I turn them down to 1. I have played with settings at 6 or 7 for out in the world, and on 3 or 4 for raid for ages. This behaviour has only started since the patch. :confused:

What anti-virus are you using? There are a lot of Windows Error Reports of the same type with other applications in your dxdiag. That speaks to something significantly more systemic.

Just windows defender. Windows was also just reset on Sunday morning. Most errors in there are probably from Apex legends, it had a bit of a crashing problem for a while. It’s fine nowadays.

Have you installed all the drivers from your manufacturer’s website aside from graphics?

The only thing I haven’t reinstalled the driver for is my display tablet. I haven’t turned it on or used it since resetting so haven’t bothered. It was up to date prior to the windows reset this weekend, which the issue with wow predates.

Ok Since this is a CPU/GPU issue please grab Process Explorer from Microsoft. It looks like you have a second monitor? Please open that on the non-primary monitor and see what’s actually using CPU when you’re running WoW.

WoW, and system idle process are the only ones at any kind of consistent significant level of cpu usage when looking at that. Next highest are searchfilterhost and searchindexer, but they bounce around from less than 1 to around 8% or so.

So based on your CPU configuration I’d expect WoW to be 80-100% on one core (primary thread), and then about 20-30% on the rest assuming you’re using DX12. Does this fit with the pattern you’re seeing?

It’s currently on dx11 legacy.

If you use DX12 and set a reasonable frame cap (10-20 above what your monitor can do) do you still have the issue?

Yes, still the same issue.

Heya Lucinde,

At this point I’d like to ask for an MSinfo and DxDiag to better assist you. Once you have them please email them to us:

To: Techinfo@blizzard.com
Subject: Attn: Kaldraydis

Once the email is sent, please reply to this forums topic and let us know to check the inbox for the files. Thanks!

I’ve just sent them both as requested, hope you can help with finding what’s causing it.

Hey again,

Thanks for sending us the files! Those help us greatly in identifying issues like these.

I’m noticing the CAM_V3.exe software crashing. Lets start off by temporarily uninstalling that to rule out software compatibility.

We’ll also want to also disable Blizzard streaming via the Battle net app settings menu, and the Discord Overlay.

Once all that’s done, go ahead and reset the game settings then give it another go! Let us know if it’s still happening or not.

CAM is typically never actually open, I just launched it to make sure that the overlay from it was still disabled (which it was.) The error from it was because it couldn’t sync settings with the cloud (pops up any time I open it, even if I’m logged in.) I’ve uninstalled it as requested though.

I didn’t even remember/realize that the bnet app had any kind of streaming setting in it, it’s now disabled. Discord overlay already was.

Still have the same issue after uninstalling CAM and disabling bnet’s streaming option.

Hey Lucinde,

You may want to try uninstalling the VirtualBox VM software, as this can sometimes cause weird issues. You may also want to try lowering the resolution to 1920x1080 if possible.