Wow popping through chrome since GPU upgrade

I have a very strange issue occurring.

When playing wow, if i open chrome and move it in front of the game window, wow game UI elements flash throgh wow, to the point of making chrome unusuable. i have to move chrome to a second screen to use it.

this only started once i upgraded my GPU to a 3060Ti. I’ve reinstalled drivers, then used DDU to full remove drivers from safemode and reinstalled. i even reinstalled windows OS last night (not because of the chrome thing, but because it was time anyways and i had a bunch of apps i wasnt using anymore, and just wanted a clean start)

Im not sure if this is a Chrome bug, an Nvidia bug, or a blizzard bug, but thought i’d start here. :slight_smile:

EDIT: I can also now confirm and rule out Chrome as the cause here. this happened today with MS word, as well.

2 Likes

bump still happening

Hey there Otaku,

I have a couple ideas on what to do here, but will want to get a DxDiag from you for most of it.

One thing for now, could you try and turn off the shader cache in the Nvidia 3ed options? You can right click the Desktop, open the Nvidia Control panel, and under 3d options should be a shader cache option. Just want to turn this off for a moment to see if it helps.

If not, turn it back on and get us a DxDiag.

DxDiag instructions (click to expand)
  1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and then press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
  4. Name the file something you can remember and click Save.

To add it to your reply here:

1. Open the text file and copy all of the text.
  2. Paste the text in your reply.
  3. Highlight all of the text and click </> on the post editor.

Note: If your DxDiag does not fit in one message, you can break it up into two posts, or post it on Pastebin and provide the numbers/letters after the .com in your reply.

/Nathardrick

Hey,

Shader cache did not correct issue. i have noticed that setting wow to use DX11 may correct the issue, but I’m not certain. i also tried turning off the Raytracing functions to see if it was something there, but no.

DXDiag log Uploaded to Pastebin due to size. (I did remove my computer name and hardware ID, which I doubt blizzard would need anyways.)
https://pastebin.com/1EXm6e29

Edit: forgot to mention, sorry, Bios has been updated. Wow Repair completed. Drivers reinstalled from clean with DDU in safe mode. Windows OS reinstalled (not due to this issue, had just been a while, and I wanted to have a nice clean state). only world of warcraft causes this issue to occur. other DX12 games (cyberpunk 2077, Doom Eternal, Crysis Remastered) don’t cause the same issue. nor do other games (GTAV, Minecraft (with Fabric (one setting with Optifine / Optifabric, the other with Sodium, Lithium, and Starlight Fabric mods)). other 3d accelerated applications don’t cause the same issue (furmark, Heaven, etc). seems to be strictly related to wow and wow only. so far, I’ve seen this issue occur with Chrome and MS word.

There is a known issue with the newer nVidia drivers that nVidia is supposedly working on that could be causing your issue.

O really? Interesting. do you have a source so i can look into this a bit more?

I switched Chrome to use OpenGL ANGLE Backend ( the #use-angle Flag under chrome://flags) and the issue seems to have halted for now. obviously this isnt a fix for the issue, only a workaround, but it seems better for now. im going to continue testing that lol

Hey there again,

The Bug they are talking about is the large thread here.

Using an older driver may work out here.

Let me know!

/Nathardrick

i reviewed the flickering described in the other thread (a user had posted a video). what im dealing with is not flickering textures, but portions of the application that is over wow becoming transparent, with wow showing through.

Also, the oldest GPU driver i am able to install is 457.51 because im using a 3060 TI and that is the launch driver for the 3060Ti. i HAVE noticed that flickering issue in Ardenwield from the fog, but diddnt think much of it at the time.

I will have to attempt this later, currently im working (took lunch to run the tests above lol) so i’ll have to try de-updating that driver (lol) at midnight eastern and report back if theres any change.

Thanks for trying to help here btw guys, appreciate it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey all

I’m going to admit to being bad at internet-ing and forgot about this.

so a couple of updates: the #use-angle flag switch to OpenGL makes the issue a lot more manageable but does not fix.

I am trying a Hotfix driver that was released today which lists a Chrome TDR fix. HotFix driver here: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5158

Should the above not correct, I will also try the 457.51 version previously discussed, and test again, then report back.

Either way, once I have tested, I will report back in a few.

Hotfix driver did not fix.

the Old driver may have. I’ll continue testing.

Hi, is the issue similar to this video? https: // streamable. com/iu5klu

I made a post on EU you can look at.

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/wow-kind-of-flashing-through-when-web-browsing/239508

100%. yeah. that streamable video looks pretty much identical.
i cant post on the EU forums, so if you wouldn’t mind saying hello to the EU folks, and thanking them for bringing this to my attention.

my monitor supports Freesync, i have it disabled already because its not certified Gsync (it works but i just honestly dont care). it does really seem to be a GPU driver issue then.

Blizzard may want to talk to NVidia (you guys have a closer relationship now that RTX is integrated into wow) and let them know about the issue… they’re more likly to listen to you than just rando users. they already don’t listen to us :rofl::rofl:

Freesync on is totally fine and recommended. Just keep gsync off in the nvidia control panel (at least for non-certified monitors). The flicker issue should be easy for nvidia to fix, theyd just have to use an older profile for wow. I dont know when wow popping through browser etc started tho, maybe a month ago. Also microstuttering is a problem in wow, even at high fps (no sudden fps drops, frametime is stable).