[Main thread] Nvidia 460.xx driver flickering

I tried various things suggested here and nothing worked until switched to DX11, then the flickering stopped. I believe there are reasons it’s not best to run DX11 but it seems okay for now. 1080ti, 460.89 drivers.

Running a EVGA 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra+ Overclocked. Had really bad texture flickering in Maw & Arden. Cloned my raid settings so Shadows set to Low & Part. Density to Good and seems OK atm doing dailies and such. I did try both DX11 options, but I have too many FPS spikes so I went back to DX12. I also still have Triple Buffering enabled…

If you find yourself on this thread - ROLL BACK TO 457.51 Nvidia drivers!
All WoW settings work just fine on 457.51, it’s not a WoW settings issue.

But then a certain game I won’t name here isn’t going to work. I’ve reported this here and to nVidia, by the last blue post they have reported it to nVidia as well. Hopefully the next nVidia update fixes it.

Exiting the client and re-opening it will minimize the flickering to almost nothing or barely noticeable. The problem with that is when you change zones you might have to do it again.

I can confirm turning shadow to low works for me as well, i have a nvidia gtx 1080

I’m gonna give this a try, see how I go.

Just chiming in I have the same mass flickering issue. Very noticeable while flying.

i9-9900k
RTX 3090
Drivers: 460.89
Ray Tracing: Off

Sorry, yes, that is a very very fair point and I don’t mean to exclude this group of people. For sure my preference is that Nvidia fix the driver!

Setting shadows and particle density to low/off reduced my flicker. But nothing removed it except for rolling back to 457.51.

Same massive flickering issues.

RTX 3080
Drivers: 460.89
Ray Tracing: Off

nVidia RTX 3090 and Ryzen 9 3900 XT on an Asus ROG STRIX B550-F.

Cannot run DX12.
Excessive flashing in Bastion and excessive heat and LOW fps elsewhere. Frequently into the 20s for fps.

DX11 almost cured the problems. Cooler, no flashing, still too low of fps for this GPU but not into the frequent stutter range.

Ray Tracing costs around 20 fps – so have to play with it off.

nVidia needs to fix this or they’ll get another returned card.

My ten year old system runs better than this one. No reason to buy newer nVidia cards at all.

It’s important to note FFXIV experiences the same problems to a slightly lesser degree - but enough to safely say this isn’t a Blizzard problem exclusively.

haven’t noticed any flickering, but i noticed everything taking forever to load- the launcher, the game, the character screen, etc. then i noticed it seemed like every program was taking forever to load.

i rolled back to the *.51 drivers- my computer runs like new, and the game loads like it should.

Flickering is bad enough to give me headaches badly anytime I go to ardenweald, which sucks because two of my characters are night fae.

1660 Ti card here

horrendous flickering as well, nvidia drivers 460.89, GTX 1080. flickering happens on shadow settings fair to ultra high, they are worse as the shadow quality is turned down, no flickering on low. changing the orientation of my camera can stop the flickering.

I’m getting this as well, with an RTX 3090.

Doesn’t flicker all the time, but when it does its really bad. I’ve also tried to lower Particle Density, to limited success. It works sometimes to stop it, but then comes back.

I built two other computers for my nephews, one has a 1080ti and the other has a 1070, and both their computers show the same texture flickering.

It’s clearly a driver issue with Warcraft. They’ll (both Nvidia and Blizzard) will need to come up with a fix, as playing with settings doesn’t really fix this.

Flicker issue present on v446.16 (sometimes) and v460.89 (constant).

Reverted back to v457.51, no more flickering.

Running WoW at 10 Quality with all settings maxed, DX12, MSAA 8X.

RTX 2080 Ti

Same issue here - 3090, flickering comes and goes in zones depending on where the camera is facing. Driver is 460.79.

This has been an issue for me, as well. I’m running a geforce gtx 1060 6gb, driver version 460.89, Ryzen 5 3600XT processor. Everything else is fine, but I can’t seem to make this flickering go away no matter what combination of graphics settings I use.

Putting shadows to low fixed the issue as a temporary fix for a 2080ti running latest drivers, also changing to ray tracing shadows can fix the issue.

Same flicker issues.

RTX 2080S
Driver version 460.89

I did not have this issue on my previous driver, version 457.30.

I believe the settings themselves and how they interact with the drivers are not functioning properly, and the results are inconsistent. I’ve run a number of different tests on my system with 460.79, 460.89 and 460.97 drivers, and I achieved flicker free gaming with the following settings, in no particular order of importance. Additionally, I did have to toggle some of the settings a time or two before achieving stability.

The below are modifications from the default in nVidia Control Panel:

• Max Frame Rate - 3 FPS under rated panel maximum refresh rate
  • Power Management Mode - Prefer maximum performance

The below are the key settings in game that I had to alter after taking the slider all the way to 10.

• Anti-Aliasing - None
  • Vertical Sync - On
  • Shadow Quality - High, but only after setting to Low first
  • Triple Buffering - Enabled, but only after disabling first
  • Disable all in-game FPS limiters

I admit, it’s kind of bizarre, but worked for me. I play on an AMD x570 based system with a 5950x and 3090.

Hope this helps.

1 Like