WoW Performance Guide For Macs - Patch 8.0

11/11/2014 01:23 AMPosted by Chasechua
Guys i need your suggestion when it comes to the right graphic settings, not really good when it comes to this.
Anyway, Can someone send their setting.

Display mode: Windowed, windowed fullscreen or Full screen
Resolution: ----
Anti -Aliasing: ----
Vertical Sync:
Quality: if it's Low, Fair, Good, High or Ultra
MaxFPS: ##

and is it okay if my fan is turn on and if it's hot should i stop the game or just let it.
Asking this because i don't want to risk my Mac pro and just curious if whats the best setting.
Thanks WoWmates!

No one can answer this when you don't even give us your Mac's specs. Besides, the whole point of the guide was to explain what each setting does so YOU can be more informed and make the right choices for your own personal preferences.
I have a 2008 iMac 24 inch 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor witn 2GB memory, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 MB card and have just recently upgraded to Yosemite 10.10. WOW ran slower than before with the latest patch. I am apprehensive about loading Warlords. Will it crash this old comp or just be agonizingly slow? Any suggestions....even it if is to get a new comp :)
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/world-of-warcraft-system-requirements

Your system is quite literally beneath the minimum system requirements for WoD. Getting a new computer is about the only option.
Hello i have mac book pro 13" with version 10.9.5 yoesmite. Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3. Display is Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB (1280 x 800). i run the lowest graphics on this new expansion with no add ons. I have no problem playing my characters outside of dreanor, but as soon as i start questing there my game freezes and crashes. i am assuming my computer can not handle the game anymore and i will need to buy a new one. I have tried everything that i can think that might fix the problem but with no luck. I need help because all blizzard did with my ticket was move my characters to orgrimmar.

Any help would be grateful, i am at a road block here ):
11/17/2014 08:27 PMPosted by Sealtheze
10.9.5 yoesmite.

Yosemite is 10.10. So if you're on 10.9.5, you're running Mavericks.

That said, Intel HD 3000 is about the bare minimum for WoD. Chances are the game is overheating the Macbook. I'd make sure your laptop is staying cool while playing.
I've been playing most of the day on a Mac Pro (2013) running Yosemite. Just tried to start WoW and got the following error: "World of Warcraft cannot start because a valid graphics processor cannot be found." Absolutely nothing has changed in the 3 hours or so since I last played. I have all the latest OS updates...any suggestions??
Someone could help me?

I guess it's a Mac problem with WoD expansion.
I have a Macbook pro late 2013 retina with 2Gb dedicated video graphic card.
Thinking about requisites it should run on high at least. But i have to run on minimum configuration to get 40 Fps.

Is someone with the same problem?
A lot of us are having issues with crashing. I have a brand new top of the line iMac and it crashes at the login screen. I'm pissed.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

all updated. and through a thunderbolt display or the notebook, screen tearing is a problem. wondering if there's someone that can relate.

fps from 40 as high as 95 but with horizontal cuts every camera move. sometimes with a stationary camera angle when a walkway or hill loads into frame.

..Gone through multiple troubleshooting paths... command line phrases, sync, triple buff...afraid i'll be stuck and darnit to gosh if it isn't distracting! >:O!!!!!!
03/28/2011 11:12 AMPosted by Djelektra
Thank you so much for posting, I work for apple and now I can share this with others! Most people don't even know you can play WoW on a Mac. I have the Early 2011 model and keep everything on high and Im all good no FR issues. When set to high Im on 60fps usually, on ultra it cuts on in half.

15 Inch Macbook Pro Early 2011 Model
2.3 i7 Quad Core (Turbo Boost Processor)
AMD RADEON 6750M 1GB VRAM
8GB RAM

Just a quick question! I have an apple macbook pro late 2011 model too... i see you have:2.3 i7 Quad Core (Turbo Boost Processor)
AMD RADEON 6750M 1GB VRAM. How did you upgrade your hardware?
12/08/2014 09:51 PMPosted by Walfras
03/28/2011 11:12 AMPosted by Djelektra
Thank you so much for posting, I work for apple and now I can share this with others! Most people don't even know you can play WoW on a Mac. I have the Early 2011 model and keep everything on high and Im all good no FR issues. When set to high Im on 60fps usually, on ultra it cuts on in half.

15 Inch Macbook Pro Early 2011 Model
2.3 i7 Quad Core (Turbo Boost Processor)
AMD RADEON 6750M 1GB VRAM
8GB RAM

Just a quick question! I have an apple macbook pro late 2011 model too... i see you have:2.3 i7 Quad Core (Turbo Boost Processor)
AMD RADEON 6750M 1GB VRAM. How did you upgrade your hardware?

The 1 GB VRAM was a build to order option, as was the 2.3 GHz i7. I have the same config in an early 2011 17'' MacBook Pro (with 16 GB RAM instead of 8 -- added later)
Thanks for all the helpful notes on this subject.
I'm currently running:

I-mac 27 inch, mid 2011
2.7 GHz intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD radeon HD 6770M 521 MB

From reading above it seems i need to buy more Memory for my mac and my video card is okay? I'm tired of having latency issues (never had them before prior to WOD) generally ran around 30-60 FPS.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Thanks for all the helpful notes on this subject.
I'm currently running:

I-mac 27 inch, mid 2011
2.7 GHz intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD radeon HD 6770M 521 MB
I am currently running Yosemite 10.10.1

From reading above it seems i need to buy more Memory for my mac and my video card is okay? I'm tired of having latency issues (never had them before prior to WOD) generally ran around 30-60 FPS.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Query for y'all. I have a Macbook Pro 15in Early 2011 with:

2.0GHz quad-core i7
8GB RAM (believe it's 1333MHz DDR3)
AMD Radeon 6490M HD / Intel HD 3000.
OS X 10.10 Yosemite

With all this, I barely hold 30FPS in most outdoor zones, and have some issues with framerate bottoming out in areas like the Shattrath daily and certain parts of the Garrison.

My understanding is that the Radeon is the card that fires up during gaming/other graphically-intensive operations. I also understand from reading pages upon pages of Mac users complaining about the issue, that the early/mid-2011 Macbook Pros are plagued by overheating issues in their Radeon chips, which can cause graphical performance issues and ultimately weaken graphics output.

I'm taking my computer in to have a diagnostic check at Apple soon, hoping to figure this all out. In looking at Blizzard's posting of minimum and recommended specs for WOD, it would appear (and correct me if I'm wrong) that a Radeon 6490M HD graphics card is above the minimum requirements for WOD, but slightly below the recommended specs.

Is it fair to assume, then, that my system should be running better than it is and it isn't because of some problem? Really, what I'm asking is - if I have this card and it falls where Blizzard says it does in the specs "rating", is there damage to my card and should I seek a repair/replacement?

I hope that all made sense - thanks in advance, folks!
Query for y'all. I have a Macbook Pro 15in Early 2011 with:

2.0GHz quad-core i7
8GB RAM (believe it's 1333MHz DDR3)
AMD Radeon 6490M HD / Intel HD 3000.
OS X 10.10 Yosemite

With all this, I barely hold 30FPS in most outdoor zones, and have some issues with framerate bottoming out in areas like the Shattrath daily and certain parts of the Garrison.

My understanding is that the Radeon is the card that fires up during gaming/other graphically-intensive operations. I also understand from reading pages upon pages of Mac users complaining about the issue, that the early/mid-2011 Macbook Pros are plagued by overheating issues in their Radeon chips, which can cause graphical performance issues and ultimately weaken graphics output.

I'm taking my computer in to have a diagnostic check at Apple soon, hoping to figure this all out. In looking at Blizzard's posting of minimum and recommended specs for WOD, it would appear (and correct me if I'm wrong) that a Radeon 6490M HD graphics card is above the minimum requirements for WOD, but slightly below the recommended specs.

Is it fair to assume, then, that my system should be running better than it is and it isn't because of some problem? Really, what I'm asking is - if I have this card and it falls where Blizzard says it does in the specs "rating", is there damage to my card and should I seek a repair/replacement?

I hope that all made sense - thanks in advance, folks!

The 6490M is actually minimum spec.
Crap...alright, thanks! Guess I need to just get a new system (probably a PC desktop) when I'm able.
This guide was EXACTLY what I was looking for and have been preaching for some time now. Im glad someone took the time and made clear all of the aspects of playing WoW on a mac with all of the updates, graphics, settings, etc.
I just want to know if this is what I should be expecting:
iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 8 GB

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6970M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x4
VRAM (Total): 2048 MB

Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

When running native resolution in LOW settings I am getting about 11fps. I can reduce down to about 1920x1080 and get between 18-23, but it's still unplayable. There is a perceptible delay between keyboard input and character movement.
01/15/2015 05:42 PMPosted by Nazerief
I just want to know if this is what I should be expecting:
iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 8 GB

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6970M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x4
VRAM (Total): 2048 MB

Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

When running native resolution in LOW settings I am getting about 11fps. I can reduce down to about 1920x1080 and get between 18-23, but it's still unplayable. There is a perceptible delay between keyboard input and character movement.

Probably not. Macs have been experiencing a horrible performance bug virtually since the release of WoD. You may want to monitor this thread: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15537525100?page=1
hmm IM not sure then if what I am seeing is expected either:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

OS Version : 10.10.1

Vid Card:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (2048 MB)

Displayed on 27” Thunderbolt Running @ 2560x1440

With:

Vertical Sync Disabled
AA disabled
Full screen mode

At Wolf’s Stand I get these FPS at these settings:

LOW: 20 (moving, combat)-60 (standing still)
FAIR: 20-50
GOOD: 15-30
HIGH: 10-25 very jerky
ULTRA: 5-10

Playable, but not great.