WoW Performance Guide For Macs - Patch 8.0

I have a mid 2010 21.5" iMac w/3.2ghz i3, 16gb ram, and radeon 5670 512mb. I'm getting anywhere from 10-20 fps on low, everything off. It makes zero difference if I'm windowed of FS. Prior to WOD I was anywhere from 30-60 FPS with the same settings. The game has become unplayable on this machine, especially as a rogue... My only concern though is compared to the machines above me, mine is on the lower end, yet still seeing comparable numbers in terms of FPS.
Thanks for this. I have a 13" Macbook Pro mid 2014 that runs great. Granted I have to keep things at fair settings and well below the retina resolution. I'm pretty happy with it.
Don't worry guys, I WILL be updating this thread for the 6.1 patch very soon. In the mean time, preliminary testing has shown that Anti-Aliasing may be bugged. Setting the AA to SSAA 2x seems to limit the fps to a max of 34fps regardless of the hardware, at least on nVidia cards. Turning AA off allows my system to run at the expected fps of 100+ on a GTX 770.
02/26/2015 11:21 AMPosted by Stoneblade
Don't worry guys, I WILL be updating this thread for the 6.1 patch very soon. In the mean time, preliminary testing has shown that Anti-Aliasing may be bugged. Setting the AA to SSAA 2x seems to limit the fps to a max of 34fps regardless of the hardware, at least on nVidia cards. Turning AA off allows my system to run at the expected fps of 100+ on a GTX 770.

You don't happen to have SSAO on at the same time do you Stone? If so, kill it. You'll get your FPS back.
Caution: This cookie bites back.
So on a iMac 5K with the AMD R295x with the vram upgrade should I have antialiasing off and SSAO off? I ask because prior to 6.1 I was playing with frame rates around 60 even at HIGH but post the fonts are all blurred at the step up from 2550 and slow FPS. SSAO seems to be on high by default now when using the High settings.

I guess I also wonder what the optimal resolution is. Yes 5120x2880 is native but it looks great at below that, but get down to half at 2550 and the fonts and UI is blurred...
03/05/2015 07:26 AMPosted by Frackd
I guess I also wonder what the optimal resolution is. Yes 5120x2880 is native but it looks great at below that, but get down to half at 2550 and the fonts and UI is blurred...

You want to use the "Best for Display" resolution, which will basically pixel double 2560x1440. It should look perfectly clear at that resolution. If for some reason you are unable to get WoW to properly use that resolution, the sticky linked below might be of use to you.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8873728013
Are you referring to best for display in the Mac display settings. Yes I have that set at the best for display. I am talking about inside Wow. There is just a list of resolutions and using 2560x1440 results in fonts that are blurry. This is the iMac 5K
03/07/2015 06:34 AMPosted by Frackd
Are you referring to best for display in the Mac display settings. Yes I have that set at the best for display. I am talking about inside Wow. There is just a list of resolutions and using 2560x1440 results in fonts that are blurry. This is the iMac 5K

Try using the Terminal command in the sticky I linked. Once you do that, WoW's maximum resolution should match what you are using as WoW will not be able to go higher than that resolution. If you still have issues then, take a screenshot of WoW with the resolutions pulldown menu open so I can see the listed resolutions. There's a setting that will work for you, we just need to find it.

This is one of the reasons I hate Retina Macs. Not because they aren't good, but because Apple's implementation is so problematic for the end users.
Stoneblade, I just read something interesting on the D3 MTS forum. One of the users there was having issues with microstutter in his D3 app on the new iMac 5k. It turns out he was using the cursor scaling feature in the Accessibility prefpane. I hadn't thought about it before, but this is exactly the same problem Windows users have when using the >100% scaling options when using high resolutions.

So I thought I'd let you know about this so you could put a caveat into your guide regarding this feature and help stave off future TS issues regarding UI scaling in OS X. :)
2. Protect the innocent.
3. Uphold the law.
4. Smash, Jay, Smash!
Thanks Tia. I'll add that to the update when I'm able to get around to it. I started the write up over a week ago, but I was hit really suddenly and really hard by a severe case of pneumonia. I've been coughing so hard that I actually ruptured blood vessels in my eyes and had to be hospitalized. Between the constant coughing and my sore, raw lungs, I haven't had the energy until now to stay awake for more than an hour at a time for over a week.

I swear, I've had more health complications in the last couple years... Ugh.
Awww :(

I hope you get better soon. I've been down that road with the cough, though I've been lucky enough not to rupture blood vessels (I gave myself a hernia though). I guess I should thank my lucky stars that the worst I had with the cough was the hernia and uncontrollable farting when I coughed.

Get better soon, and don't worry about the guide update for now. Rest >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything else.
2. Protect the innocent.
3. Uphold the law.
4. Smash, Jay, Smash!
I play on an Early 2011, 13 inch, Macbook Pro with Intel HD 3000 graphics installed.
Can anyone give me the best settings that would work for my laptop that won't overheat it and/or make the fans run loud as can be? I've been playing with settings and so far my laptop still gets rather warm and the fans run loud (though the fans being loud may just be part of running the game no matter what).
Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 280X 3072 MB

All settings on high. Except sunshafts and anti-aliased which are off. Dont use the recommended button on any mac. For me it sets everything to disable or low. I get an average.

I have my FPS locked to 60 and it sits solid even in raids mostly. I do suffer from the strange jittering right now though, but it comes and goes.
Hi all, question for you... I've been playing WoW since day one Vanilla, but since 2007 I've been exclusively WoWing on MBPs.

I'm pretty sure significant, daily WoW sessions shortened the life of my '07 MBP (left I/O power board fried in 2009)

For my early 2011 MBP (purchased early 2012) I was a little more gentle and gave my system more breaks and made sure it had proper ventilation. Generally, my MBP's GPU while playing hovers anywhere from 75-79° C but occasionally hits 80-82°.

It's time for another MBP, so I'm looking at the new 2015 models.

So, my question -- grabbing a 2015 MBP w/ discrete nvidia card... are daily sessions of WoW at 75-80° too much for MBPs?

If I wanted to save $$$ and go for the Macbook in lieu of the MBP, is that a no-go since the new MacBooks have no fans at all?

Any info re: MBPs, CPU/GPU temps, etc are greatly appreciated.

Also: I don't care about fps/visuals/performance much at all since I don't raid/PVP... if an Air or Macbook can safely run WoW for a few hours at a time without worry about frying anything, I may opt for a lower end model.

Thanks for any input...
YOOO, ok so I'm thinking about getting the new Macbook Pro 15 inch with the intel 4-core i7 around 3.7 GHz (Broadwell) with a dedicated GTX 800M-900M series GPU not sure yet they didn't announce it yet... but would a system with this kind of hardware be capable of running WoD in Ultra in native res 2880 by 1800 pixels?

now for the 13-inch... how would this perform? 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage1
Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Built-in battery (10 hours)2
Force Touch trackpad

2560 by 1600 pixels
what are your thought's on running wow on an early 2015 macbook air 13-inch

1.6 GHz intel Core i5
8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536MB

will i be able to enjoy end game content like 25 man raids and BG's?
Destro, you should be able to run the game pretty comfortably at medium settings at something like 1280x720. Maybe a little higher.
Thank You! I really wanted to start playing again but was a little worried with everything i was reading about MacBooks and WOW haha. I am going to download the game tonight! thanks again for the advice!
I run a 13 macbook pro on mostly low settings, and a new mac mini on mostly fair settings. Most times I am at 60fps on each. I have a cooling pad for the laptop and a little desk fan for my mac mini and have been having a good gaming experience for almost a year now. I will say disabling outline mode makes a huge difference in performance on each machine. I also play with new character models disabled, as I prefer the old night elf model, so this may help as well.
It's time to upgrade my primary workstation, and I'm wondering if anyone with access to the beta could share their FPS with me.

I'm currently running:

- mac pro 3,1 (2008)
- 2.8GHz Xeon (dual quad core)
- radeon 7970
- 32GB
- SSD

Performance is underwhelming with WoD. Yes, part of it is due to a particular throttling issue with the 7950 and 7970 in the 3,1. Part of it is due to the old Xeon architecture and slow RAM.

In any case, this box will become a utility server (netboot, backups, software update, security cameras, etc.)

Option 1:

- mac pro 5,1
- 3.46GHz 12 core (I run a lot of VMs)
- Titan or 980Ti
- 64GB RAM
- PCIE SSD

Option 2:

- mac pro 6,1
- 3.7GHz quad core (can run the VMs off a maxed out Xserve)
- D700s
- 64GB

I know Barefeats did some testing a while back, but I'm wondering if Metal and / or crossfire implementation (no I will not boot into windows just to game) might put the 6,1 on top. I would think between Blizzard, Apple, and AMD that crossfire could be implemented in OS X, but I remain disappointed. One can hope.

My goal is to run everything maxed out. I only play WoW and occasionally Heroes of the Storm, so I want to be able to run them properly. I'll be running two 4k monitors and a 55" TV from the prospective new machine.

Anyone out there with a hot rodded 5,1 or a 6,1 with D700s? I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks

[edit] I did try the 3,1 in windows 7 and it flies :-(