WoW not launching

WoW won’t fully launch for me since the Shadowlands pre-patch.

Initially I was experiencing the endless update loop in the battle.net app so I applied Veraszun’s crontab solution in this thread: Battlenet constantly updating - #76 by anon90439162

I was able to log in twice, but had to reinstall the battle.net app each time. Now even that isn’t working. I ran scan and repair in the app. I set the WoW folder permissions.

I have twice uninstalled the game, uninstalled the battle.net app and removed every bit of Blizzard I can find, then reinstalled the battle.net app and reinstalled the game, and run disk first aid before launching the app.

After the first full install the game launched and played the cinematic, but I couldn’t log in (I think there were login problems at Blizzard). After the second full install, it played the audio of the cinematic and then the audio of the login screen, but no visuals or controls.

I’ve been trying to submit a ticket, but it says “You can’t submit this ticket. An error has occurred.”

I would appreciate any advice. I really don’t know what to do.

(ETA: I did get to go to the barber shop and give myself some more skin! \o/)

Post your Mac system information.

Also, did you reinstall any add-ons during these multiple reinstalls that you did? You will want to completely remove ALL add-ons from your WoW directory before trying to test it again.

I saved my classic and retail add-ons folders and renamed them, moved them out of the WoW folder, then uninstalled classic and retail. I haven’t reinstalled any add-ons.

System information:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac19,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 9 MB
Memory: 64 GB
Boot ROM Version: 220.270.93.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.46f12
Serial Number (system): x
Hardware UUID: x

System Version: macOS 10.14.4 (18E2034)
Kernel Version: Darwin 18.5.0
Boot Volume: Tarragon
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: x
Username: x
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
System Integrity Protection: Enabled
Time since boot: 1 day 9:22

Thank you very much for answering my post.
(ETA system info)

Perhaps it is related to a temp file hangup? Many of us are experiencing an unresponsive client on subsequent launches when opening 2+ clients at a time.

Bheleu found a solution here for 2+ clients. I know you are just trying to get one client launched so it may not work, but can’t hurt to try?
See post here: Can’t open multiple clients on mac after prepatch

This hasn’t worked for me. I can launch multiple clients and only the first one is responsive - it only gets as far as changing the cursor to the WoW armoured hand and plays the login screen music.

Five files are created in the temp directory:
BlizzServiceRegistry_Mutex
BlizzServiceRegistry.ex
BlizzServiceRegistry.mutex
WoW ASYNCTHREADSHAREDMEM.1.ex
WoW ASYNCTHREADSHAREDMEM.1.mutex

I move them to the trash, but nothing happens, and launching another game client doesn’t work.

ETA, because it won’t let me post a new reply …

I’ve stumbled upon a work-around. In another thread there’s instructions for getting the proper system info from within WoW itself. I forgot Command-M windows the game, so thought I would try it. It let me access some WoW controls. If I minimise the game, I can then open it windowed from the dock!

So maybe it’s an issue with the Thunderbolt display? I play WoW on an old Thunderbolt because the iMac fan is deafening even at the lowest possible graphics settings.

It’s not ideal, but it works.