WoW needs to cut down the button bloat

Imagine you’re a new player. Never played WoW.

Then you open the Warlock talent tree and find most of the stuff adds more and more buttons you have to press and micromanage on top of what you get from leveling up.

Or even Unholy Death Knight. When i saw the massive button bloat it had I just switched to Blood or Frost.

It’s too much for new players. WoW needs to smash down the number of button bloat just like ff14, gw2, eso, and the such did to great effect.

24 Likes

Not enough abilities I say.
We need to keep going until we’re required musical keyboards just to keep up with all the hotkeys.

6 Likes

Can you shoot lasers out your neck in cod yet? cuz you can in wow

Imagine starting at level one like all new players and leveling and gaining abilities as you level and knowing how and when to use said abilities and not being overwhelmed because you’re trying out a new spec in its full glory without knowing anything about it.

Just imagine

14 Likes

As the snow flies
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin’
A poor little baby child is born
In the ghetto
(In the ghetto)

And his mama cries
'Cause if there’s one thing that she don’t need
It is another hungry mouth to feed
In the ghetto
(In the ghetto)

People, don’t you understand
The child needs a helping hand
Or he’ll grow to be an angry young man some day
Take a look at you and me
Are we too blind to see?
Do we simply turn our heads
And look the other way

4 Likes

I was actually just discussing this with my friend when we were doing 2’s for the first time. I use an MMO mouse that has 12 side buttons - I use 6 of those and use modifiers (shift/ctrl/alt) to keybind a total of 24 abilities. Even with those 24 keybinds, I still didn’t have enough to cover everything I would need.

6 Likes

They already did an ability purge once before though. In WoD, I think. Can’t remember.

2 Likes

Idk man when i came to WoW i thought there wasnt alot of buttons at all. I guess new folks dont know half the buttons are useless.

3 Likes

There’s the starter build that’s new and very useful. That wasn’t around when I 1st started playing with the old talent trees, which were a nightmare for a new player.

So it’s a lot better than the original trees. As for button bloat, pick the passives.

The beautiful thing about this talent system is choice … If the player feels like they have to many buttons they can opt for more passives in their tree. Don’t remove the buttons that other people want to press just because you don’t want to press them. You can pick up more passives and cut down your own button bloat.

And this ^^^^^^^^^^

4 Likes

I play FF14, has way more buttons at 90 than WoW does.
There are way more keybinds in that game and worse if u use macros

2 Likes

Anyone here remember the spell rank system and how sometimes you wanted to use say, rank 4 instead of rank 5 of a spell for some reason? Talk about useless buttons.

Rank 4 of Holy Light vs Rank 5.

Rank 4 had lower healing but a lot lower mana cost too. Could actually heal more with a rank 4 spam than carefully timed rank 5s

But to be fair, you’d replace ranks on your bars. So didn’t really bloat anything

1 Like

Sure, but most of your core rotation is what, 6 buttons? Then you have a stun and silence.

After that you might have 2 defensives, 2 offensive cd’s that you press every 2 mins and then some filler fantasy spells.

I wouldn’t say that’s overwhelming.

UH DK is an exception. I can think of 10 off the top of my head that I use in rotation. That’s just damage. Not utility or defensives.

1 Like

And look how that expansion went.

Oh yeah, that’s why.

Also true. Until someone decides to put more than 1 rank of the same spell on their bars cause you never know when you’ll need them.

I stand firm in my belief that most of the troubles came from Garrisons being too convenient and losing flight for around half the expansion.

3 Likes

You sure about that?

Thats why I play Wow and not FF14.

Imagine you’re so autistic that you cant manage the already stripped down kits most classes have. There is no button bloat, classes have been gutted since WoD.

Also no clue why you mentioned GW2, combat in that game was awful. In fact everyone was hating on it at launch because of the lack of abilities compared to the original.

1 Like