Wow loading problems and FPS drops, been happening for a few months now

Ahh - good to see. Restart computer - did you see the Feature Update 2004 offered on the Update window? If not do you have a link that says “Optional Updates” look under that.

Start that update - it will take at least an hour.

I have restarted my computer and I do not see the Feature Update 2004, not even in the optional updates.

The things I see in the optional updates are:

If you have a specific problem, one of these drivers might hlep, otherwise, automatic updates will keep your drivers up to date.

Adavnced Micro Devices - Media - 11/16/2017 12:00:00 AM - 10.01.6
Intel - Other hardware - Intel 100 series/c230 series chipset family thermal subsystem - a131
Intel - other hardware - intel management engine interface
Realtek semiconductor corp - media - 9/44/2018 12:00:00 AM - 6.0.1.8531
Intel - other hardware - intel xeon® e3-1200 v66/7th gen intel core host bridge/dramregisters -591f

Nothing about the 2004 update you have mentioned at all.

I must have gotten your DXDiag confused with another I was looking at. I just doublechecked. Looks like you have 2004. Bonus we can move on then.

I want to update the AMD graphics to the latest version of Adrenaline. We will need to uninstall the old graphics first. We will use a tool called DDU for that. Download DDU here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3300

Grab that tool while I find the driver - then I will post full instructions.

Alright haha! I was gonna say, i remember installing it not too long ago but wasn’t completely sure.

Yeah it’s late - I’m half asleep fishing off Steamweedle port in Classic.

Download this driver:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-400-series/radeon-rx-400-series/radeon-rx-460

Basically you extract the DDU uninstaller from the download. (it will extract to a folder called DDU - the tool is inside that folder)

*Important: Unplug the Ethernet or disable the Wifi to avoid Windows automatic driver installation.

I like to boot the computer into safe mode then run the DDU tool. (This isn’t essential and you will need to confirm you have the windows password before you do so. If you are using a PIN it will ask for the actual password after running safe mode.)

On the tool you select Graphics type then AMD. Run the recommended “Clean then restart”.

Install the AMD Adrenalin driver

You may see a Windows Smart Screen warning when you start the Driver install as you are offline - ignore that.

Once installed restart computer.

Two caveats here:

The RX 460 is below the minimum requirements for Shadowlands. Not too far below though so it should still work decently.

You are running a big HD. That is likely your loading issues. We noticed back at the start of BfA that SSD was the only way to avoid that. You might consider installing a SSD for the game. Even a small 256GB just to put your games on.

I’ll link the requirements here:

Thank you for this, I will do this later in the day though considering I do have a pin for my computer. And I do not remember my computer’s password clearly. Do you have anything else for me in case i get accidently locked out of my computer that I can come back to and do afterwards, considering you’re about to fall asleep soon? :smiley:

You know Demonsan - Ignore the warning that you aren’t in safe mode. Don’t go there. The tool should do the job without being in safe mode.

1 Like

I still need to disconnect the internet right?

Yes do that

1 Like

Alright, thanks for everything,will probably update this later in the day if i ever get it fixed. Enjoy the fishing…and sleeping :stuck_out_tongue:

The computer graphics will look all wonky and big after you run the tool. That is normal. You will be running on basic windows graphics until the new Adrenalin driver is installed.

1 Like

Everything is working great so far except for my screen flickering green/white randomly.

And everything still takes a bit of a time to load, but not as bad as it used to be.

Update: The flickering seems to have stopped

Edit: They’re back

Check these settings:

Open Windows > Settings. Go to Gaming - Disable both Xbox Game Bar then Game Mode below that.

Go to the main wow folder retail folder. At the bottom of the list is a Wow icon (W) icon.

Right click on the Wow icon. Select “Properties” at bottom of list. Then select “Compatibility” tab along top of next pane.

At the bottom of the pane select (check) “Disable Fullscreen Optimization”

Apply change

1 Like

In Retail Propteries,

There is:

General, Sharing, Security, Previous Versions, Customize.

No Compatibility tab.

World of Warcraft > Retail folder. At the bottom of list is the Wow icon I mentioned. I suspect you didn’t highlight that before right clicking. Click on the Icon then right click. Then click on Properties.

Got it, everything seems to be working fine now, sorry it took so long on my end. Thanks for all your help! I can now run wow on the 9 graphics setting instead of the 3 i ran on before. <3

Good to see Demonsan - we win this one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey! I just wanted to comment to say that checking “Disable Fullscreen Optimization” fixed the issues (at least for the first 30 minutes). I had times where the game would freeze, minimize, fps drop, and generally stutter. It was awful.

Brand new build (ryzen 5 3600 w/ AMD 5600xt). I had thought it was a driver issue. Spent a whole night just installing and reinstalling drivers all different types of ways. Nothing to report on dxdiag either so I was going crazy. I eventually did set it to Direct X 11 legacy and that reduced the issues but it would still happen even 5 minutes instead of every 30 seconds. Finally I stumbled upon this post. Thank you so much!

Good to see Myname

That “Windows Feature” was a common issue at one time. I see it is showing up again.

Thanks for reporting that