Wow launching into black screen after patch

Since the last update i have not been able to launch wow, I don’t even make it to the log in screen just a black screen with the wow cursor. I have scanned and repaired my wow a few times already and nothing has fixed it and its really frustrating as my computer is far above what it takes to run wow and the issue isn’t on a hardware side of things.

Has this happened for anyone else? if so have you fixed it?

5 Likes

Looks like there’s an ongoing thread over in Tech Support on the subject. I’d recommend having a look over that thread and adding your voice there :wink:

I’d check on those points as well.

all I had to do was uninstall Discord and problem fixed.

3 Likes

I’m having this issue too and none of the solutions I’ve seen are working

You’ll want to followup in our Tech Forum if none of that has helped, Niaidare.

1 Like

If that’s the solution, then you may just need to disable the Discord overlay.

1 Like

I tried everything is still nothing for me lol

same. blizz has hadthis log issue for several months, started aftera patch and they cant seem to fix it. last week i could log on correctly after the lil patchfor 1 week. this patch just made it worse now just black. also for the last several months, on log out to change toon, complete disconnact. lots of folks having same .

so in short nothing on our end eh? lol

all blizz and all started on day of a patch. i quit seending tickets as it does no good

Seeing that it’s not affecting everyone, concluding that it’s Blizzard’s fault is a bit premature. I haven’t had any black screens, so the game client/patch must be working properly in some way or another. And since there’s only one client for everybody, the difference likely lies in the each user’s system environment. Definitively? No. But more likely.

What support patch did you send the tickets?

3 Likes

I had the black screen on start up problem, but it went away after I disabled discord overlay

3 Likes

i have along with crashing when i hearth and port along with when flying from the grate seal to the port or back from the ship port.

Remember, after a patch, especially a major one, always a good idea to do a proper reset UI.

4 Likes

the basic reply if i’m here looking is that i’ve taken all them steps and read all the post about the probem and still have them. so other than the cookie cut reply what is going to be done to fix this or do we just keep paying for a game the lets you play when it feels like it

You try the steps - then you follow the advice in my other post and followup in our Tech Forum. If none of these steps are helping, something else is quite likely going on.

5 Likes

Other than the Discord overlay being an issue, which they did an update to correct, ElvUI also had three updates yesterday, and on the third my black screen went away. I would suggest checking that either that, or another add-on isn’t creating issues for you. And definitely check the posts on the Tech Forum. They’re there for a reason.

2 Likes

I just finish say that i took all them steps and still have it going on so just rewording that same thing you said before what other step can be taken?

orylia answers your question in the post above. i’ll re-type it for you. “You try the steps - then you follow the advice in my other post and followup in our Tech Forum.

there is a thread there about black screens you might browse - Black Screen after launching wow 8.1.5 - #10 by Zuvykree - it gives additional troubleshooting, how to update drivers etc. you also should try switching to dx11, which if you can’t load the game, it can be done outside of the game - the thread has instructions.

If you’ve already done all that, I would make a new thread there, state what you’ve already done, and then post a complete dxdiag. https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/12988 post the entire thing in your tech support post - highlight it all and click the </> button at the top of the reply box so it will format it to be more readable.

2 Likes