WoW is in maintenance mode

I am so confused why things I see in F2P were added without the cash shop features to remove the grind. The game used to be designed around the subscription model but inconvenient grinds have been added in multiple places to artificially increase it.

There used to be a simple reward system for doing content. Lore using his horrible example is what got fixed in Wrath. They might as well come out and say it takes too long to develop so that is why we are not doing it.

1 Like

Are we just making up new edgy uses for terms now?

No we are redefining terms and applying it to WoW as the game is no longer designed to grow but only appeal to the current playerbase.

That isn’t what maintenance mode means.

Maintenance mode is when a game doesn’t plan on receiving updates and is only sustaining their current content.

1 Like

It’s not a perfect game it’s true, but it’s still better then most MMO’s IMO

Primarily. But the other avenues are monitored as well, especially the official ones.

That’s all under the purview of the community managers. Of the myriad of duties they have, one is to collect feedback and create reports that are passed on to the game designers.

To your point about having something… anything that gives the player a feeling of retention, yeah, that seems like it would be helpful.

That goes back to the consolidation point. Not so much that feedback isn’t being taken, just that it’s being taken in a different, consolidated location.

But like I mentioned above, even a quick message letting players know where to go for feedback, or something similar, would be smarter.

Welcome back, your feedback is nothing out of the ordinary, especially the Ion part, we all know, the Dev’s all know, nothing is going to change since he plays WoW and wants it to be the way he plays.

FYI - He does WQ’s on a Resto Shaman.

They have removed set bonus to creep in more p2w. People buy tokens to purchase boe titanforge and now there are even more slots to do this. They wanted people to hate azerite gear to remove it also and have all slots take boe titanforge. Thust me that Blizzard has learned a ton from their Korean brothers but they also learned to make you ask for it and not just jump right into it.

1 Like

If you ask me as someone played other MMO’s then Rift for extensive period of times here is what I see.

Race Rep gating: Buy this for $10 on the store to unlock Void Elves
Titanforging: Buy this $5 token to increase your proc chance
Pathfinder: Buy this $10 token to unlock flying in previous expansions!
Mythic + timer: Buy this token for $5 to extend your Mythic + timer

^ Everything I listed above exist in other MMO’s in some way shape or form behind a pay wall. It almost seems like they are culling the player base into thinking this stuff is normal in preparation to go F2P

The system are there for them to flip a switch but they have not actually indicated they have any intent on doing it.

Buying WoW tokens to raise your Raider IO is already in the game so I am confused why people treat that like some full proof system. It is literally on the LFD queue and advertised in trade chat almost non stop.

2 Likes

WoW is in maintenance mode

Sorry, Mr. Gloomypants, but, no. WoW is not in maintenance mode. I’ve played games in maintenance mode (RIP WildStar) and this ain’t it.

I will agree though, that they aren’t doing much to make the game enticing to new players. Every time I level an alt I think, ‘Good lord, is this what a new player experiences?’ Who would want to play this game as a new player? It’s awful. So many levels with so few abilities. Outdated graphics. Garbage character customization compared to any other game out there. If Blizz wants the game to last they need to put in some effort at the beginning of the game again, not just the end.

What? None of those things are in WoW.

And what’s this about paying to raise your score on an add-on? How does that have to do with WoW?

Right none of that is in WoW but the systems are in the game you would normally see in a F2P grinder. That is my point. Something is broken in systems Blizzard has adopted but not understood what they were or why they were put in other games.

This is true. I get the impression that Blizzard has given up on the prospect of attracting new players. In recent years they seem to have focused their efforts on milking existing ones instead.

2 Likes

I still don’t fully understand.

WoW has always had reputation gates, raid locks and a RNG loot system. In fact most online games do, because the whole point of a game is to place obstacles in some tangible form for people to overcome.

With all due respect Lev

You mean like Lore? Whom not only joked with Ion about referring to players as Trolls at the beginning of the Q&A, (Ion referring to my post specifically from his couple of troll examples, which I invite you to go read my reply, post 40 in the thread below)

or the Lore that just’s nods in bovine agreement and reexplaining everything Ion said, throughout? Those people? Yikes
Or wait, any of the other CM’s that frequently engage with the community, here on the official game forums that provide honest feedback and have open discussions or acknowledges players, ideas, thoughts, concerns or even common issues we see threads on weekly or daily even. Sorry, cant be them because they don’t exist

Besides the fact I don’t believe they are accurately capturing and interrupting feedback from quiting players (assuming a player bothers going somewhere else to report) but I’m not convinced CMs represent the community at least appropriately. It’s hard to go back and tell the company that’s signing your paychecks, they are sucking

It’s no wonder when a Dev reads (personally) a wall of hard to swallow criticism they think your a troll, laugh and make jokes about it with other employees. I don’t doubt they are under the impression, all is fine, nothing to see here. CMs, at least from what I’ve seen are only around to represent and pass along messages from Blizzard, to the community and that’s it, all else is not taken serious

6 Likes

Actually FF14 has three times the abilities per character, and can be played on console.

You’re wrong about A LOT, OP, but it is true that this game is strange for new players coming in just as a consequence of the expansion model WoW uses. The game doesn’t really start until at least level 110 level so you spend a decent amount of time doing content that feels sometimes incoherent if you don’t already know the history of the game (not even the Lore, just the game itself). The boost that comes with the game purchase and the xp acceleration help but I do think it’s targeted at returning players and the free trial system (that caps at 20) is extremely outdated and bad at conveying what the game is about.

They should revisit how to attract new players because I don’t believe playing for free till level 20 with all the other restrictions does a good job of growing the game to new audiences. Maybe something using the class trials but with extended use like a few days to experience the new content of the expansion and such?

If a new player wanted to play a Void Elf as an example because they think it looks cool Blizzard puts up a massive road block by telling someone they need to roll a character they do not intend to play to max to do prior expansion content to unlock a reputation.

The game is not designed for new people to enter and do what they want. Even the new races Kul Tirans and Zandalari are behind rep and quest chains.

It is not designed to attract someone new.

3 Likes

Someone doesn’t understand what maintenance mode means.

It’s kinda funny in a way and pretty smart on Blizzard’s part if you look at it.

New races, as I’m sure you all probably know, were pretty much introduced with new expansions right out of the box. Buy the expansion, hit up the character selection screen and there was your new Belf, Draenei, Goblin, Pandaren, or whatever. More or less they were all fresh new races with new animations, dances, emotes, rigging, and everything else.

Nowadays, Blizzard wants players to buy the expansion then if that’s not enough they want you to complete a laundry list of time gated tasks but for the extra effort all players get out of it is reskins of existing races… they’ll just give them a new designation, “Allied Races,” to make it seem fresh and newer, but it’s all just mostly recycled stuff they reskinned.

LOL with respect to races they are actually making people do more for less! But hey, leaders in everything from games in the digital world to governments in the “real” world so often seem to be forever in search of ways to get the masses to do more for less so it’s pretty much par for the course for so much of life inside and outside WoW.

Oh, about Pathfinder and more of the “Give us more to break even or get less” theme going on here>> When Part II (lol) of Pathfinder comes out this time, expect there to be even more requirements than Legion’s iteration, probably in the form of tedious time gated stuff . Blizzard even said they wish they had added more “Light Requirements” to Legion’s Pathfinder Part II. Source right here:

Meh, I still like WoW and it is what it is, but some things they are doing I do not at all agree with. It’s all good though.

2 Likes