WoW is coming to GeForce Now (cloud streaming) per datamine

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/s/OsGqPftqfI

For those who don’t know what GeForce Now is:

It’s a cloud gaming service you can pay monthly. You don’t need to have a decked out PC to get the max graphics. There’s three tiers

A free tier: which gives you 1 hour of play time before it kicks you off with the bare minimum graphics

A $10 tier which gives you 1080p resolution with only 6 hours of session, after that you’ll get kicked out and have to requeue to play again

A $20 tier which gives you 4k resolution and 8 hours of session.

3 Likes

I thought someone said streaming the game is against some arbitrary “rules”.

Looks like once again, rules can be changed.

And that means the game can be streamed onto the Nintendo Switch later.

2 Likes

Its a 10 year partnership with Microsoft and Nvidia. And because Blizzard is part of Microsoft now… Kinda makes sense why

2 Likes

I run Shadow PC for games my current rig can’t handle. It’s a bit pricy but works with everything. Was even able to use it for some UE5 stuff.

It wouldn’t be headed to an Nvidia platform if Blizz wasn’t cool with it.

I’m not very tech savvy so I’m quite confused how you could play at max graphics on any PC? Does it take your inputs, put them into a better PC that can run the game on max, and then broadcast that image to your screen? That’s all I can think of for how this wizardry works. And if that’s the case, wouldn’t that make it so that lag is insane for the user? I don’t get it, can anyone help?

Yeah, you pretty much described it perfectly. The game is running on another PC and is streamed to your computer.

The lag depends on your internet connection.

So you connect to another PC on the cloud server with the latest graphics, bells and whistles if you pay the $20 a month subscription

And be able to play max graphics without ever having to use your PC system.

Basically a super crappy $200 PC can let you play max graphics cause it’s all streamed to your PC.

1 Like

Wait, the highest tier still has a time limit? What kind of nonsense is that?

Plus who has a 4k monitor and an internet connection that can handle streaming 4k gameplay, but not a PC capable of running WoW?

10 Likes

So finally! I play WoW trough Boosteroid but Geforce Now has support in my country (While Boosteroid sadly doesn’t).

Fun fact, Blizzard did have some of their games on GeForce Now during the GeForce Now Beta but pulled them in 2020.

Nvidia has removed all Activision Blizzard games from its GeForce Now cloud subscription service following a “misunderstanding” with the developer/publisher.

While players participating in the closed beta were able to play Activision games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Overwatch as part of the service, founding members who signed up after the 90-day free trial went live on 4th February noticed that the games were quietly removed without explanation just a few days later.

In a comment to Bloomberg (thanks, PC Gamer), a Nvidia representative explained that while Activision had permitted its games to be part of beta test, the two companies had not discussed licensing terms beyond that beta. Consequently, Nvidia was forced to remove the titles, adding: “per their request, please be advised Activision Blizzard games will be removed from the service”.

“Activision Blizzard has been a fantastic partner during the GeForce Now beta, which we took to include the free trial period for our founders’ membership,” explained a statement from Nvidia. “Recognizing the misunderstanding, we removed their games from our service, with hope we can work with them to re-enable these, and more, in the future.”

I assume with Microsoft ownership that stance may be changing, at least regarding GeForce Now service. They already announced D4 and OW2 being put on GeForce Now. It is not a stretch to think that WoW might also be there at some point.

That does not mean they will remove all streaming restrictions from the EULA so please be careful to follow the changes if you want to use other services. You don’t want to risk an account.

5 Likes

I think they do this to avoid AFKs and similars, also, they reboot the PC for new players

A 4k monitor is like $300 or so. You don’t need a $2000 GPU to display 4k graphics for idling/web browsing

Yes, but why would anyone buy one if they didn’t have a decent PC to connect it to? No one is going to make geforce now the center of their gaming.

Being honest, don’t think ban is a risk. I’ve been using boosteroind since Shadowlands and tbf I never had any issue with Blizzard

4k TVs already exist and some of then have full support for cloud gaming.

Interesting. I guess I’d have to try it before I knock it, but I’m guessing that between sending the inputs, the cloud PC running them, and then conveying that image back to the user, we’re looking at at least 150ms even with a strong connection. That’s a guess, but I’m pretty skeptical.

Edit: wow, I said “guess” a lot, I guess.

Off topic, but is anyone else not getting forum notifications for replies? It’s still giving me the indicator for likes, but not replies.

On Android TVs you are able to install GeForce now on your TV OS

Nvidia offers a Android TV box called Nvidia Shield

And that’s the latest hardware for TVs you can use to connect

For user? Probably not. I don’t think they enforce it in that way. They do prevent other companies from streaming it though without Blizzard’s express permission. I am sure it all boils down to legal stuff.

It can be buggy. I still get some, but not always. It seems to work best if someone quote replies like I am here.