Wow has put no effort into getting new customers

I am still salty about the level squish, I don’t think I’ll ever get over this stupidity >.>

2 Likes

we just needed new ads like the mrT and Ozzy ones back in the days :wink:

we can probably get will smith for cheap - think about it

hes probably kultiran (haymaker)
maybe panda (quaking palm)

Do you have inside information that it’s going to be WoW based and not Warcraft based? I’m expecting an RTS game, not an MMO.

I dunno about that. I see complaints from people here a lot who don’t want to do quests, aren’t interested in the story, don’t want to do dungeons or raids, aren’t interested in collecting anything, aren’t into role-play or other social forms of play, and I’m just like… why are you here?

And I often wonder if it’s because they really liked that Ozzy TV ad and have been here ever since, even though they apparently hate everything about the game and always have.

2 Likes

Hey, that’s me!

1 Like

If it’s like Lords ,which it does look like it is a disappointment,each to his own I guess.

I think making or remaking some of the Warcraft and or StarCraft RTS games or even making new RTS games or other things using StarCraft or Warcraft/World of Warcraft themes could breed a love of the franchise and its story and aesthetics in a whole new crowd of players.

My retired dad enjoys clash of the clans. He’d probably dig something like a Warcraft phone game of similar nature. It could serve as his gateway into the Warcraft universe.

The move to allow dragon flight from the getgo instead of forcing us to do pathfinder means for the first time since WoD I’d consider bringing him into the fold. (He hates nonsense and would obviously hate Pathfinder for the nonsense it is.)

Younger people might also have similar experiences with phone games. So I think it does open doors.

1 Like

No one said this. The squish had many reasons, and looking a little less intimidating to new/returning players was just one of them, and certainly not the primary reason. Zero people thought it would bring millions to/back to the game.

That makes sense. I appreciate you breaking it down that way. I assumed that Activision Blizzard was the same thing as Activision Publishing and Blizzard Entertainment, just renamed.

1 Like

I actually know several young people at my university who have said they want to try wow but they think they would be lost and are afraid to take the plunge.

I feel like there is too much barrier for new players to reach the end game where they can play with a majority of the playerbase.

I think the financial investment too may be too much.

People need to be able to experience the end game and robust healthy communities right out the gate.

I’m not sure how to solve these problems.

I feel like maybe making the failed mentor program work better would be a start.

Right now it’s a place to ask questions, but not to make connections with a mentor/mentee that is long term and meaningful.

There has to be a better way. I think what keeps at least some people in the game is human connection.

1 Like

This isn’t really true. The effort they put into advertising and hyping new expansions gets lots of new purchasers.

What they haven’t put effort into is understanding what it would take to retain those players. And to be real, what it would have taken to retain the many who have left.

They could do a research project to find out what went wrong. But they have to respect their customers to ask those questions.

Right now the game seems to be designed to attract cyclical subscribers who buy each game, play for a month, and leave. And if they’re going to leave anyway, why bother to make an effort to retain them?

The rest of the playerbase is so addicted they’ll never leave, so why bother to try to make them happy? They don’t know what fun is and they can’t agree on anything. Besides, the customer is always wrong, so let’s really give them something to complain about.

Any responsible business would be doing marketing research while planning for future product development, to make sure the product will be acceptable to the customer base before sinking hundreds of millions of dollars into a project that was predicted to fail. They would be hiring a marketing research company to call and ask those players what went wrong, in their own words. But despite losing 90% of the playerbase since cata, they’re still convinced that they are misunderstood geniuses who will be proven right when this turns itself around, if only they try harder to do the things they believe will work.

What Ion was saying at that point - which I presume was to gain acceptance of his level squish plan - was that new players were being scared off by big numbers like ‘120’. Previously he told us that new players wouldn’t join because leveling wasn’t really hard, and they were demanding level scaling. Hello?

Whenever Ion brings up “new players are insisting on this” as a reason for some change he is pushing, it has nothing whatever to do with what new players would need to attract them or keep them in the game.

Agree. They should of let new, or returning players have a choice imo. You could either start at level 1, and go through each expansion like before. Or give players the option to start at like level 20, if they like. I mean heck they let new players level to 20 for free per account anyways in the trial version. Been better, than squishing levels imo. And going back to 5 level xpacs. Then these so called new players wouldn’t be so intimidated by big numbers lol.

Bull hockey. Go search. There were plenty of posts on this forum back when they were considering the squish saying that. Believe even one of the devs said that also. In that 120 130 would be intimidating to a new player. # level squish was a mistake :nerd_face:

That is not the dev saying it would bring in millions of new players lmao

1 Like

Yooooo!
Hold on a second.
The mobile gaming community is a huge untapped area for blizzard.
First they created Diablo Immortal but now with World of Warcraft.

Stay tuned for more info regarding this wonderful WoW iteration. I am personally excited about it and I happen to have a fairly new iPad just perfect for it. May 3 is the announcement.

:man_cartwheeling:

To much competition out there nowadays. Doubt this game brings in many new players. If it does, it usually the fly by night crowd. Try it out for a few days, and are like nah not for me. Most of the people/friends I know don’t game much anymore. And if they do they are playing on the Playstation, or xbox, not pc gaming.

What if it’s the Pokemon Go inspired game that they announce?
You going to be walking around holding your iPad up? :stuck_out_tongue:

Pretty much this.

WoW is one of those culture influence games that everyone has heard about. You aren’t going to be finding many people who have no idea it exists.

It’s like CoD, Madden, Minecraft, Fortnite, LoL, etc.

Games that have been out for a long time and pretty much anyone who would have wanted to try it already has.

Maybe we can get a realm reborn moment?