WoW Freezing up PC

What is on blizzard’s end/where did they say it themselves? nobody’s computer is freezing because of blizzard anything.

1 Like

How would you check that? I don’t use chrome but perhaps firefox could be doing the same thing. I dont know if it correlates just because I have YouTube playing all the time but the crashes do happen while playing video on my 2nd monitor

I downgraded to whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-22.5.1-win10-win11-may10 and haven’t had it freeze yet. I haven’t played too much so I will have to see.

By chance may I ask how you did so and if it continues to work?

I just got another freeze after doing a whole fresh PC reset so I’m genuinely frustrated and sad as I don’t really have the money to afford a new GPU :c

@Tratt if you’re still about I did another systeminfo for this crash with malwarebytes being gone and AMD opted out of. It looks like there were only 2 hangups with today’s date (12/12) - and they both happened at the same time.
https://pastebin.com/s0yYq67z - Line 6 & Line 12. Lord knows what they mean though I only have an associates degree in transportation.

I also grabbed a screenshot of my computer temps / loads at time of crash with NZXT mini mode.
https://postimg.cc/dDxRcYph

Played SL fine and since the expac WOW has been nothing but trouble. Freezing up, crashes etc.

Some things in game that you can’t interact with or did fine sometimes /reload temp fixes it.

I didn’t play long in beta but it didn’t give me this much trouble.

Hello again Ratscal

Checking the latest MSInfo there was nothing recorded by Windows at the time of your hangup. I want to run with Armaggon’s suggestion - clean uninstall then reinstall AMD’s previous driver.

First though I see a lot of errors likely associated to the PC reset. Let’s check Windows system files. There is a real good tutorial on how to run SFC here:

How to Repair Windows 11 with SFC and DISM (winaero.com)

Like I said before - one thing at a time. Let’s see if you can get that all done then get on to the graphics. I have special instructions on how I want to uninstall reinstall there. I will be around all day - weekend busy over.

Looking good so far, I haven’t had a freeze yet.

You can download older driver version from amd’s website.
Links don’t work here, so just google “amd driver download”.

Just select your model and windows version, it should list the most recent and older versions.

Just a note: WoW will complain that you are using an out of date driver, just ignore it.

1 Like

I would recommend 22.3.1 drivers i think 22.5.1 still has system freezes or atleast tdr’s that happen less frequently, AMD made a mess of their drivers and reviewers already mentioning issues with driver stability while thinking this is only driver issue with current drivers while it has existed for half a year now.

Blizzard can do us AMD gpu users a huge favour by reporting this problem to AMD directly as well while users can do a bug report.
I am having same issue btw as OP but if been playing almost a week on 22.3.1 without any system freezes.
Its not a configuration or overclock issue, altho i will say this that world of warcraft can run gpu a lot hotter then other games so probably driver tuning probably related to world of warcraft perhaps.

I had this problem. It kept crashing, rebooting eventually and when I booted back up the amd program would be gone and when I tried to load it I got the message that windows had replaced the driver’s. The first time I re-replaceed them with AMDs, but then the crash happened again. I ended up leaving the windows installed drivers which causes world of Warcraft to tell me there are old drivers installed, but the game runs flawlessly now. I ended up just not using AMD’s program at all.

Seems a few folk are having good luck with rolling back the AMD drivers Ratscal. Let’s give that a shot here. I want to run a clean uninstall then install the previous AMD driver from May 2022.

Clean Uninstall:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601#faq-Overview

Driver:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

When you are installing try to opt out of the AMD User Experience Program. Ideally less bells and whistles software bloat is what you aim for.

Important - Have the driver download ready to go. Before you run the AMD clean uninstall tool disable Wireless or unplug the Ethernet cable. Prevents Windows from instantly installing a driver.

1 Like

Awesome. I’ll go ahead and run some old drivers. I’ll follow Sianguste’s recommendation for the 22.3.1 drivers and install them today using Tratt’s method above.

For Tratt - First of all you’ve been really helpful thank you! You absolutely 100% deserve that MVP.

Reporting on the sfc /scannow - “Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.”

2 Likes

I would like to also add I am having this issue as well. WoW freezes up my PC but every other app is working fine, from what I can hear when my headset is on. It happened when DF launched, never had this issue during prepatch from what I can remember.

1 Like

Any luck with that drivers version?

I haven’t crashed yet. I haven’t been able to play enough to be 100% confident about it though… I’m just having trust issues since it’s been inconsistent.

So far so good though!!

I had issues with AMD let me correct myself I had the same problems and I switched to nivida and it fixed everything. AMD never deletes its old updates either.

Let us know after you give things a good test there Ratscal

I’m interested as well. I’m having similar dc issues and performed the driver rollback described above. Mine hasn’t crashed yet but it still seems like my cpu is overworked. This may be a software issue, but it seems a hardware change is the way to go for those of us that only really play WoW.

Hello all.

I would like to add that I am playing on a 5700xt and have run into this issue for quite some time now. I tried different Beta versions with no success. The only driver version that works for me is 22.5.1. That was the latest “Recommended” version up until a week or so ago. There is now a new “Recommended” version, which is 22.11.2, so I thought I’d give that a shot. Nope. At random, while playing WoW, my entire PC would freeze and would require a hard restart. Other games pose no issues…ever.

Side note: what’s weird is that while this issue was happening in real time, if I was in Discord, I could still hear people talking, but they couldn’t hear me.

I don’t know who is at fault here - Blizzard or AMD - for such a frustrating issue, but it sure would be nice to one day be able to update my graphics card drivers. 22.5.1 was released on 4/28/22.

I will update this thread if the issue reoccurs anymore with 22.5.1.

1 Like

This happens for me more frequently if i have logged multiple characters in a row like 13 which means i go thru 13 different aditional loading screens
Just while ago i had a system freeze again.
AMD drivers are in a mess right now but if had gpu driver crashes on even 22.3.1 so i do not think going older drivers fixes it maybe makes it less frequent tho.

Anyway there like 5 different reports if seen of the same issue all have same issue all have full AMD hardware, if yet to see some one with Intel CPU and AMD gpu with this issue or AMD cpu and Nvidia gpu for example.
If seen people with bsod however that always points to gpu, when i do not freeze i get gpu driver crashes.
I think my game just deadlocks it self and then causes gpu to freeze instead of crash.
If not had time to play other games but if ran gpu test overnight before without issue so far it looks like a wow issue rather then hardware issue or driver issue, since i get gpu driver crashes even on old drivers.
And i play a lot of wow i just got done leveling all my alts to level 70 of all classes on EU.

Its probably fault of both Blizzard AMD and Microsoft cos windows is also a mess right now with MPO aka Multi-plane overlays which wow has some instability with as well, but the game causes system freezes even when disabling MPO.

I got ptsd in last 6 months due bad AMD drivers but i should’t even have issues on older drivers yet have gpu driver crashes, my gpu is watercooled not overheating at all heck im only reaching 52c hotspot these days 42c gpu temp cos its so freaking cold here, i cant find any issues or errors not even with GPU but its always the gpu driver crashing if its not freezing entire system.

I think its because AMD gpus have issues with MPO right now and MPO does not work correctly probably because video scheduler in windows is broken, so disabling MPO does not fix this and then lead to crashes perhaps.

It may be a windows 11 issue these system freezes cos if seen no mention of windows 10 once in this thread.

edit: if checked EU forums there 10 mentions of same system freezes from 10 different users
2 have Nvidia gpu 1 has AMD cpu 5700G another has intel cpu 5700g has a igpu so might be trigger.
Anyway rest all have full AMD systems
Im seeing same trend here including this topic its at 17 users experiencing these issues.

May i say the game wow.exe analyzes waitchain in a deadlock and its probably related as well.

edit: ran superposition stress test for 8 hours no problem

Okay,

After playing pretty extensively through the weekend - I experienced 0 freezeups. So I can say with about 99ish % confidence at least for MY issue it was the up-to-date AMD drivers.