WoW feels way too forgiving

Oh you’re back… guess we’re in line for more bad trolling threads.

OR… stick with me here…

Nobody cares.

2 Likes

Gather 'round children. Someone mentioned EXP loss on death, so it’s EverQuest story time. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure.

Back in days of yonder there was a place called the plane of fear (also hate, and sky) to enter the sublime realm of the faceless one you needed to be lvl 46 minimum. And if you died, you lost EXP (you were definitely going to die. A lot, probably, if you were there below lvl 50. The main strat for breaking into the zone was for everyone to run in and die while the clerics camped out at a safe spot within. They’d then log back in without agro and res the raid).

When you died, you lost exp. A cleric could resurrect for 96% exp restoration, but you still lost 4% minimum. If you lost enough exp to drop 5% into lvl 45, you couldn’t get back into the plane. So it was more than theoretically possible to put yourself into a situation where your corpse (and therefore all your possessions on it) were forever lost to you.

The end.

1 Like

If you look at some of the intro videos to the original WoW design they do explore why they didn’t go into this.

Essentially old-school MuDs (and some MMOs) tried to be as immersive with punishing mechanics like experience loss as well as dropping items. Grand Fantasia when I first started it was that you’d lose up to 20% of your experience if you died (which at a grind time of 5-8 hours per level meant you lost 1-2 hours of time you put in).

WoW realised while this would normally be ‘fitting’ it just felt really bad. They broke the idea of immersion but this concept did catch on with other MMOs.

As time becomes more precious I’d rather not lose things on death outside of a tiny repair bill.

3 Likes

If you want punishment then play Classic WoW (especially Hardcore!), but for Retail you’re only punishment for death is equipment repair.
Basically, Blizzard want players to get back into the game as soon as possible and continue playing by making Death an inconvenience rather than a penalty.

1 Like

Exactly. People forget wows big selling point was being the “casual” mmo. It was one of the first ones to not have exp lose on death.

3 Likes

Wildstar proved you can’t dismiss casual players. There weren’t enough folks to support the game.

1 Like

Would you prefer WoW to be like OSRS where you drop all your gear if you die and you have to run back to your tomb stone? Die again and you lose your gear forever?

It is also basically my repair bill for a death.

Say no more. Go play poe.

I don’t want anything from poe to pollute wow.

1 Like

I think ultimately the issue with XP loss is that it fundamentally alters risk and risk assessment in the game.

Right now I’m doing crazy things like kiting elite mobs into guards to kill them or trying to solo group content or sneaking into/past content I really oughtn’t be doing.

I’m having fun doing that.

If I start having to worry about XP loss, I start needing to think about farming hogs around Elwynn until I’m beefy enough to maybe start farming the hogs around Westfall.

Maybe I don’t wanna do dungeons until I far overgear it.

Nah.

1 Like

Isn’t Grinding Gears Games a subsidiary of Funcom who is notorious for their predatory Microtransactions? Can’t really recall, just know an Aussie or a New Zealander gaming company gained a parent company to push heavy microtrans in their content.

Reminds me of Star Wars Galaxies.

If you died, there were cloning terminals where you’d respawn at, in the cities or towns.

But you’d then get “cloning sickness” which was basically the same as WoW’s resurrection sickness.

What’s more, is that your stats would be reduced permanently for a time, until you got them cured or whatever.

I played an Entertainer in SWG, and a big part of our class was playing music and dancing in cantinas. The purpose of which, was to remove cloning sickness on other players, as well as buffs to combat and other things.

I remember being a popular stop by for a lot of raiders before they went, and made bank off tips as an Entertainer, lol.

Pretty much an out-of-combat support class.

It was a very social game, by design. I feel like you had to rely on other players for the most basic of functions, just to be able to play.

2 Likes

absolutely no thank you.

That sounds pretty neat.

I’m not sure how well-taken it’d be in WoW.

Right now it’s almost like a theme park. You wander in, figure out what you want to do, then go do it. You can be as social or antisocial as you want.

Feeling creative? You can find some RPers and write a story with them.

Gotta step up the ultraviolence? Yeah, there’s pet battles.

Just feeling like having a chat? Maybe you’re in a guild or in a few channels.

1 Like

So this would be pointless then… Because 99% of the game happens at max level… where there is no xp gains.

oh boy. it’s you. you’re back. I’ll just set up my popcorn stand here.

so what about that girlfriend you quit wow and wow forums for?

3 Likes

ok so then lets add it?

The difference is wow endgame you’re supposed to push your limits and die a lot (and people won’t want to group if other people can cause long-lasting problems with a wipe).

Another hot take from you, there’s a reason why when wow MMO first came out. They touted it as an easier version of EverQuest with no xp loss

No thank you. I quit a MMORPG forever due to it having xp loss on death.
After leveling to level 15 for the third time on one character. After the
character dropped to level 14 once again due to dying. I shut it off and never
played again.