WoW Dropping Back to #3 Most Popular MMO This Weekend

Have to agree with you Abombination the pull for NW is like the pull I had back in 2008 when I first came to WoW it stayed for years and years but as of late the light just isn’t there like it use too be…

1 Like

I haven’t tried New World, and I don’t intend to. Any game that sells itself off of PvP isn’t really the game for me.

That said, I really do hope it’s doing really well. I want Blizzard to take a look at these other MMOs, see what they’re doing right, and get WoW back on track. The better games like New World and FFXIV do, the better WoW will be if the Developers can take notes.

2 Likes

You don’t have to do any PvP though. You can focus on the aspects of the game it excels at which is professions and the depth of immersion of them with the open world. Not to mention the fact you got housing can craft furniture. You can go out explore and find a new fishing spot. The fishing is top notch as well. I am mostly a PvPer here in WoW and am just enjoying and addicted to everything else New World has to offer.

Agreed, the Blizz formula of wasting peoples time with chores isn’t it.

1 Like

Really need to see endgame content before committing to that game. I like the idea of “switching” classes with a simple weapon swap (and skill point reset if needed) but all I’ve seen is repetitive quests and a ton of gathering.

I don’t know that game, is a mmorpg too ?

Oh I have. I’m level 80 in FFXIV and nearly through with MSQ. Also downloaded Hearthstone again and Diablo

Data acquired from scraping the armory of all characters who have been active in the last 28 days that are engaging with Shadowlands content is 3 million. On SL launch this was 6 million at peak. Actually just a glance and we are back down to 2.9, a month or two ago this was down to 2.5.

Where this comes into play is that players have on average 3 characters. Let’s be generous and just say two to inflate the sub number. It rests between 1 million and 1.5 million. At the absolute best they have 2.9 million subscribers. Though being fair that 100k drop might be related to the EU issues they’re outlining with the API. However prior to this error being a thing which is fairly new it was 3 million. So it isn’t like this API bug is losing track of millions of characters.

https://wowranks.io/stats
2 Likes

There is hardly any. The game was never designed to have PvE, it was meant to be a territory survival game with a HEAVY emphasis on PvP. Players demanded PvE be put in so dungeons and whatnot got wedged in. It’ll be a good bit before there’s anything on par with raiding if that’s even coming.

What we’re noticing with New World is a lot of its popularity is the social dynamic and the in world immersion. People were thirsting for that, if they wanted a terrible game with endgame PvE being the main selling point there’s WoW. However one of the biggest points for people playing the game is the immersive and interactive world with a playerbase where your name actually means something. You have consequences for your actions if you be a toxic piece of trash, your own faction hates you and you’re likely barred from being selected in wars.

New World should capitalize on what it does correctly and foster that, not bend the core design of the game to sate people that won’t play if it doesn’t have X element to it. Like people that refuse to play because there’s no mounts. F- 'em, if they want mounts they should play WoW or FFXIV or ESO. Not ruin a key feature of the game because they need it changed to suit them.

2 Likes

Have they fixed it bricking gpus yet? If not I imagine that will burn people if it keeps happening.

lol, you still posting on this forum when you could be enjoying yourself playing that ‘new game’, you claim to love so much.

You are like people in an abusive relationship who just can’t let go. Sort of sad to be honest.

There’s these mythical things WoW hasn’t seen in a long while called “queues.” You usually experience them when a lot of people want to play the game more than the servers can allow for. Currently 446 and been in queue an hour.

2 Likes

Perhaps, but I recall Wildstar having the same “if they don’t like it well they can go play something else, we don’t want them”. It didn’t work out for them but maybe it will be ok for NW.

This is a false equivalence. Wildstar’s issue wasn’t “If you don’t like raiding then do something else.” Wildstar’s issue was raiding was the ONLY thing aside from housing in that game that felt good. Wildstar catered way too hard to the endgame at the cost of literally everything else. It was the exact inverse of Age of Conan where Age of Conan put so much work into the early zones and then the end zones were laughably terrible. After level 35 quests were very clearly just phoned in, mobs in a lot of areas had the same issue as Silithus in early WoW where they didn’t drop loot and were bugged to hell.

They spent 90% of the development making the first city magnificent visually at the time instead of the game.

Wildstar also was bought out by another studio and they had inner conflict with the direction of the game. With that said a lot of people loved that game for what it offered but it was killed by the company itself. Oddly WoW has it’s own inner conflict, lack of vision it needs to fix.

New World is 100% designed to not have mounts, the world would feel small and not work. You are supposed to be interacting with all the elements of the open world. Not just go from point A to point B. New World is about discover and open world immersion. As someone else said, people have been starving for that.

Also the problem with modern WoW. It’s now catering to the 5% instead of the 95% that want an MMO. I want to do dungeons 2-3 times and be done with them not be forced into them each week over and over. I want to be outside in the world not stuck in an instance.

M+ and Arena has killed this MMO, the focus has been on the wrong things instead of what made this game popular where people wanted to play non stop.

Almost tempted to spend the money to see how New World differs from Black Desert…

Is PvP the only thing that will be good since they tacked on PvE elements? I hope not as you can only grind out your weapons and chop trees for so long before it becomes very tedious. Will there be a lot of PvP as well if a faction becomes dominant on a server and sees new players choosing that faction first and everyone else switching after four months?

1 Like

Apparently there are a few big BDO players playing it and doing the wars. I was watching Staysafe and he was watching him fight this epic battle. I need to find out who it was lol.

ill have to check it out i’ve been in there a few times leveling but i haven’t seen an insane amount of people in there like Goldshire. Not sure what time. I don’t think they do phasing or anything like in WoW. You don’t even hear a peep about this unless you look for it I guess. I’ve put about 100 hours into the game on balmung. Never had anyone try and ERP with me. /shrug.

oh you mean the thing that happened at the start of this expansion and the queues were hours long and then finally blizzard offered people free transfers off the full servers - that type of thing. The thing that normal people just took the opportunity to watch netflix instead of posting on a forum of a game they have no interest in.

The site I assume you used to get these fake numbers is not a credible source at all, none of these games actually release numbers for any of them.