WoW Dropping Back to #3 Most Popular MMO This Weekend

I wonder what changes will ensue now that WoW is set to drop back to the #3 spot in most popular MMOs. Will Activision head hunt new talent from other companies? Will they innovate and make some needed drastic changes to people in the Lead Dev position.

The instant and growing success of New World which is setting records each day is set to bump WoW back to #3 which isn’t a bad place for WoW or any MMO to be but when you were used to being #1 for so long, I’m not sure how the company will change.

WoW has barely over 1 million Subs and on launch day New World had over 1 million players log in, with more than that each day as 100’s of new servers opened up to meet the demand. Since launch I have logged in 80 hrs of gameplay and just absolutely loving it. They really nailed what an MMO should be like and hope that WoW can adopt some of their philosophies. (competition is a good thing)

WoW really needs to revisit professions and takes notes from New World, I have spent about 50 hrs this week doing professions alone and having a blast exploring. WoW also really needs to look into housing, MMO players just want that in their game which other MMOs offer and do it really well. (No not garrisons, good idea but underdeveloped)

Well I hope WoW can make a comeback but for now gonna get back to playing some New World, it’s heavily addicting because they made a game where you want to waste your time. Instead of this game where it just wastes your time doing chores.

Good luck out there and what immediate changes would you like to see to WoW to keep up with the growing MMO industry?

52 Likes

The most important thing in making a great game. Players will play it 16 hours a day if it’s great. There is no need for endless chores and timegating players to keep them logged in. I don’t know when or why this changed for WoW exactly. Guess it was like a slow gradual thing that we didn’t notice like boiling frogs, where they don’t leap out and unnoticeable. However with the last few expansions guess they turned up the heat too much on the chores list and we decided to jump out the pot.

89 Likes

Cutting down trees is one of the most satisfying things in NW

22 Likes

The professions in NW are just absolutely amazing, best of any MMO by far and the fact they all synergize with each other and have a tremendous importance in progression is fantastic. This leads to exploration and MMO immersion.

From logging to Fishing it’s amazing. I just learned I can cook up some food buffs to enhance rare finds while mining/logging. NW has some Diablo/PoE elements with perks buffs. You can put on a rare Magic find set for Logging or Mining or Loot hunting etc…

Fun times

19 Likes

I too can make up numbers based on nothing. I’d say WoW’s at 5 million :smirk:

600,000 on day one I think it was. And while it is rising, obviously it’s a brand new game on the scene. Happens with WoW too. There’s always a huge influx when new games or content comes out.

The question is how will New World hold up in the long term? Because the rush numbers are not usually sustainable or accurate. It’s going to fall at some point and stabilize somewhere else. So the numbers that are playing now mean absolutely nothing, NW just released.

But overall it’s not a competition. Multiple MMOs can exist and all be successful games. Caring if some random internet article calls it #1 or #3 is a little silly. WoW’s still a very solid well accomplished game.

39 Likes

New World is a girlfriend and WoW is a wife. You may enjoy New World for awhile, but your not going to marry her.

32 Likes

I mean they are based on a lot of in game statistics and nothing points to SL having more than 2 mil Subs.

Wrong over 700k Concurrent players. Over 1 million players played on launch day. These numbers grew each day. Amazon said over 1 mill players logged into play on launch day FYI. There is currently 903k online now playing however there are way more than 1 million players.

Yea but it’s growing and with each day I see more new faces and loving it more.

Good due to aggressive content release plans of 4-8 weeks. This month is too iron out bugs and fine tune. Next month they have new content plans.

It is competition in the sense that while multiple MMOs can be successful. Likely players will only main 1 MMO at a time due to time constraints. So there is competition. I’m gonna play about 40 hrs a week who is getting my time. Then I might casually log in here and there to another MMO who will that be?

7 Likes

Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime.

33 Likes

Yes they are #1 and likely will hold that spot with their new expansion coming. NW might eventually challenge them while WoW has to figure a lot out and it’s identity before it competes with those games.

I’d say you are right but WoW is your wife that died and it takes time to heal before you really decide to marry again. Will it be New World, FFXIV or another?

21 Likes

That’s oddly descriptive.

5 Likes

WoW needs to become a game that you want to waste/spend your time in like others have said.

The constant addition of “new” systems that feel like they force you to waste your time is absolutely damaging the game more than anything else. You should want to waste your time playing, not feel forced to.

They need to figure out their systems team. Constantly regurgitating systems that get 2 or so years worth of work only to be deleted and recycled with the same mistakes being repeated each time is really bad. It probably hurts dev time too, they’ve created quite a few systems that could actually be great additions to the game if they actually kept them in the game and continuously worked on them rather than scrapped them and recycled them.

WoW has a loyal playerbase, people WANT to play the game. It has a chance still if the developers figure things out but I’m no longer optimistic about the future of wows systems/game design outside of raids which is integral to the game doing well. We’ll see how it goes.

29 Likes

Well Since WoW is dead. I’m free of that marriage. Hince the till death till you part. I’m free to marry another game since WoW died.

Been with WoW I think 15-17 years minus Legion I didn’t play it in Legion give or take the years missing in Legion. But since WoW is pronounced dead. I’m free to marry another game so it isn’t cheating on my spouse.

If WoW gets a resurrection i’ll probably not remarry WoW. I mean WoW had a good life and the resurrection will be very short lived.

3 Likes

My prediction - this coming week will be a busy one as casuals finally hit renown 75 so they can buy their last gear upgrades of the patch. Meanwhile M+ and Raiders will continue to hit their gear level caps and more guilds will slowly disintegrate for lack of players who aren’t bored to death with the same dungeons and raid they’ve been hitting for months.

And casuals will look around and realize there’s nothing left to do but sit on their Big Love Rockets while they still can and watch the slow cleansing of Warcraft content until it reaches “E for Everyone.” And at that point (actually long before) it will be time for a new game and the player base will plummet.

Patch 9.3 9.2 wont arrive till first or second quarter of next year which means that other than covenant flip flopping, playing with your VE hairstyles, and buying your druid stock wildlife form glyphs, there is nothing on the horizon.

Stick a fork in it, Warcraft is done. I do look forward to whatever Blizz replaces it with next year. I’m sure they know there’s still money to be made off of the decaying franchise.

31 Likes

I mean, you can have that and still be crap.

Not defending WoW, but ATM New world is just a brand new thing , impossible to determine how it will pan out in the future.

4 Likes

I don’t think WoW is done at all. I think people clearly want to play the game, the developers just need to figure it out (which is what scares me). The systems, the casual content, basically all content aside from raids has been pretty iffy or downright bad. They really need to figure things out, I think if 10.0 goes like shadowlands or follows the same template as legion/bfa/sl the game will be unrecoverable.

13 Likes

Well in my culture its not till death till you part ,its more like seven lifetimes :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You’d be more believable if you didn’t feel the need to post every day about how awesome NW is.

Who are you trying to convince, bro?

21 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Some cultures are different.

1 Like

Yes they are :slight_smile:
OT It honestly doesnt matter to me if its 3rd or 30 th i love wow and i m not gonna leave it until it dies completely .

2 Likes

new world wont beat wow. wows story sucks from void elves to literally going to the afterlife and has massive unacceptable content droughts but ff14 is still current king

2 Likes