WoW dev tweets a hint about Shadow Priest Changes?

Tonight, Chris Kaleiki tweeted what seems to be a hint about upcoming Shadow Priest changes. This possibility was furthered by his likes and replies to comments on the tweet here:

Heres hoping fellow Shadow brethren. Here’s hoping…

4 Likes

He liked a tweet saying:

I am open to evrything. Just let me keep my Voidform. And Knaifu… altho thats transmog either way

So don’t expect anything besides disappointment.

10 Likes

I mean… thats basically what shadow priests always expect.

15 Likes

I’ll be happy if they do something, It would at least show that they’re trying

I know voidform is staying, and that’s ok I guess, BUT in it’s current state on beta, it’s just not acceptable.

With insanity and devouring plague pulling you in opposite directions, the spec feels fractured. Like they tried to give the spec 2 different playstyles that don’t require specific talents, and so it forces you to play both at the same time

I just want shadow to be fun and functional. It doesn’t need to be OP, it just needs to work

8 Likes

Is this not a drill? Red alert? Are we in there ?

this. i would be 100% ok with voidform if it worked. i dont want to be OP or need to be OP. i just want to be able to enjoy all content in the game. with most of voidforms history that means like 2 raid encounters every tier.

the reason myself and so many others want voidform gone is because its proven that it doesnt work. even so called voidform fans that propose changes require almost reworking voidform completely. its almost as if they simply enjoy the visual and thats it.

#removevoidform

3 Likes

Interesting…
Imagine the uproar if this next shadow update shows nothing but more disconnect and dis-functionality.

Its exciting either way. But ill laugh if its just number tuning lol.

6 Likes

I mean its a neat idea, has a good feel to it when it goes off, looks cool, and so on… but it simply doesnt work with the games design because of the nature of both the spell itself and the ramp up required with it for it being such a big part damage spike so late.

I would hope anyone, whether they love or hate it with regards to the first bit, at least understand the second bit. And as you said, I think even those who want to save it, understand it needs major tweaking because it simply doesnt function well. Hell even BLIZZARD knows this and that was the entire purpose of DP according to them. To provide a tool that gave good damage without needing a longer ramp up and fight length. Unfortunately whatever their intentions they messed up big time and if anything it just makes things worse.

I think most Spriests still don’t understand how Blizzard could have said what they said about how DP was supposed to function, and then came out with this version of DP which almost does the OPPOSITE and just causes further problems lol.

4 Likes

whatever they do it will probably just make voidform worse than it already is since theres no way to make it work.

whatever changes theyre teasing better be in this next build. because were running out of time to save this spec.

2 Likes

thats just it. the change i saw the most from voidform fans were that we get 90% of our power upon entering voidform and ramp the rest. at that point its not voidform anymore. just give me 100% of my power for x amount of time so it can be balanced. i did the work for it i want the power now.

there is absolutely no place in this game for a ramp spec.

5 Likes

I want to get my hopes up but also… I really don’t lol.

3 Likes

I’ll be honest, I’m excited, I knew more changes were coming, just let’s see if the changes are relevant and fix a lot of our problems…

In saying that, he said “mood”, but that could just be saying he’s is a hopeless state haha but he did reply “:innocent:”, sooo hmmmm…:thinking:

Edit: it doesn’t seem just like a number tuning, but let’s wait and see. But if great changes come to to dust of my Shadow Priest from retirement :grin:

1 Like

Voidform has been iterated on so little that any claim that states it has been proven to not work is unfounded.

I’m not saying any complaints toward Voidform are unjustified, but please do not disregard anything that can make it better simply because the designers have failed to make it work in the past.

On a side note, I proposed changes to fix Voidform which require so little development effort it cannot be considered a rework.

2 Likes

development effort=/=rework.

the example i used earlier requires minimal effort but would be considered a rework because at that point voidform would be something completely different. im all for it if it works, but it will have to be something different.

ramp simply has no place in the current state of the game.

i will give them credit shadow is actually looking above average in pvp for shadowlands so far with all the utility the priest class is getting back. its almost like the elements of the class that dont involve ramp work and the element that does involve ramp doesnt work and never has. i wonder why that is…weird.

seriously though, if they can make voidform work ill be the first person to admit i was wrong. if it works, and we keep whats looking like our tankiness in pvp in shadowlands(since we are the least mobile class), im happy.

1 Like

I don’t know what Voidform is to you, but to me it’s a state of ever-increasing speed which mimics going insane. In nowhere is my power in that state relevant at all.

#removevoidform. Come on!

5 Likes

If this does not have a set duration / time limit or a set cap / end point that is always achieved or at least able to achieve without fail if left to normal uninterrupted playing then that would be considered ramp as you start from the bottom and work your way towards an imaginary top. That would end up having to be balanced at that top end compared to the low or mid… that is ramp.

Regardless of how quick is it or how easy is it to obtain/deal with, its still considered a ramping mechanic.

As long as the ramping mechanic exists, it will always be considered crap or OP. There is no middle ground.

If their was, I would find it extremely difficult to believe that blizzard didn’t implement that in the base ability after having 4+ years to do so.

From what I’ve seen, Shadow is only doing good once again IN SPITE of void form, not BECAUSE of it.
The Devouring Plague damage + healing when combined with Shadowy Insight getting you instant cast procs on MB which then give free costing DP via the conduit + the uninterruptible soul-bind traits and/or covenant ability (Necrolord shield) is what allows you to actually do anything. NOT voidform.

I called it before many threads/posts ago and it so far seems to be true. You see basically ZERO interaction between conduits/soulbinds/legendary and Void Form. Everything that seems to make shadow better AT ALL is in SPITE of void form. That is EXTREMELY telling lol.

2 Likes

Need more evidence to support that claim, because anecdotes are not proof.

I claim that a ramp mechanic can exist and not be crap or OP provided that ramp has a sufficiently high base relative to its ceiling with a short duration to reach the ceiling. In this scenario, you could think of it as a sustained damage pattern, because the average is a small delta away from both the low and peak of the damage. And because the strength of sustained damage patterns is wholly dependent on balance, it is not intrinsically overpowered or crap.

There has been little-to-no effort in iterating Voidform. So don’t mistake lack of competence for lack of capability.

I have not seen it working in the game before in any fashion.
I have heard of the Demo Warlock version in WoD but I never seen it in action so I can’t say much on it.
I have seen/played with the Breath of Sindragosa on DK and although its not my cup of tea, I can see it as “functional” but only because you have utility that enables you to make use of it. But because it does a constant drain and damage done, I don’t see that as ramp. If it was still ramp… It’s a talent choice… not forced upon the ONLY DPS spec a class has.

Aside from those 2 examples, what else am I missing that’s considered a “working ramping mechanic”?
Because when you say…

Then I will use your response…

From my standpoint, I have not seen a “ramping” mechanic work in the game. Until I do, the onus is on you to prove a ramping mechanic works. Now it may very well indeed “work” with your little tool you put together, but I refuse to use that as a tool to test as its not in the game. If the dev’s play with it and find it working and develop something in game then cool. But I will wait till then before I’m about to waste time on something I solely believe is flawed as a concept for this game on premise alone.

MoP -> WoD Demolock wasn’t ramp. I know you don’t know how the spec played in those times, and see parallels in the form and bar based resource, but I just want to clarify.

2 Likes