WoW dev tweets a hint about Shadow Priest Changes?

I didn’t think it was.
But I hear so many times that Void Form / Insanity was “taken” from the demo lock.
So I was just “covering my back” so to speak.

i think people are reading waaaaayyyyy too much into a throwaway tweet

4 Likes

100% agree. But that so much was read into it tells you how much it needs to be addressed. But I’m not expecting anything until 9.1 minimum.

2 Likes

Its more the context. Compared to most of his tweets this is a bit out of the ordinary in terms of “hinting” at something. Combined with where this tweet art is pulled from (see the TCG card it comes from), along with his “likes” to certain tweet replies, and the reply he gave to the tweet that stated “Shadow Changes?” and well… it adds a whole new layer to it all.

1 Like

I do think something will happen with shadow in the coming weeks. Will it help? Who knows? For all we know it could make things worse again.

So I don’t think it’s reading too much into it necessarily. People just need to be aware it could go either way. I also think people are just kind of relieved to see a dev actually acknowledge it in a way, even if it’s not really the best way lol. Also pretty much most of the wow devs who have tweeted hints in the past, there was usually a reason behind it and something usually ends up coming. But I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

What kind of evidence do you wan’t to see? Shadow is the 6th highest dps for Nyalotha and the 5th highest dps for M+. Idk if that help of not.

I kind of agree with Ryeshot that Ramp mechanics can work. I actually think Shadow “works” pretty well as is, but it feels really clunky. That said, I actually like Shadow a lot more than many other classes and I think the VF hate is somewhat overblown. I think with some fairly substantial tweaks that Voidform could feel a lot less clunky. The part that feels bad to me is having to spend like 6 gcd’s before I can enter VF. If we can drop that down to like 3-4 I think it would feel much better.

It would be kinda cool too if it functioned more like Fury’s Enrage mechanic where VF is a short window that you are constantly going in and out of. Fury is one of the most beloved specs in the game and it actually functions very very similarly to Shadow. It really wouldn’t take too much tweaking to get Shadow there. Like seriously. Think about the parallels between Rampage into Enrage and Void Eruption into Void Form. Both are builder spender, both give you windows of a haste buff, both are a minigame where you’re trying stay in the buffed state as much as possible. I’m not sure exactly what it would take to get us there but I’m seeing this as a very decent best case scenario if removing VF is completely off the table.

2 Likes

Its not fun to play. Stop acting like you havent seen 90% feedback.from shadow.priests to remove this voidform.crap

All clases who.get certain ilvl and corruption can pull dps, but its not about that.

ITS NOT FUN TO PLAY mechanic. So tired of this.

5 Likes

I agree, it’s not fun to play. Sure. I don’t disagree. I want to see changes too but technically it “works”. I even acknowledged it feels really clunky in the post you responded to so this feels like a strawman

It doesnt work. Its crap. Thats why everyone wants it removed.

3 Likes

It doesn’t work as is sure. Something needs to change. I explained what I believe needs to be changed to make it enjoyable. You are free to address my idea’s and explain why they don’t fix the problem but otherwise you aren’t compelling me to think I’m wrong.

Voidform is not the name of a spell in this discussion, it is the name for a group of spell interactions and mechanics which together make up how shadow has worked for the past 4 years.

The simple answer to your question is that your idea is not Voidform. It’s something else with the flavour and spell names added back in post. Not that I wouldn’t mind trying it out, especially since rewriting shadow as fury removes every major issue with the current mechanics in theory, but still.

2 Likes

Honestly i can flush your ideas to toilet.

With that enormous amount of feedback to remove crap void form, you asking how to make vf fun?

Remove void form and all spells attached to it, bring back old shadow as it was prio void form.

Fixed. And thats what 90% sp really want. thx

4 Likes

I never claimed Voidform is the name of a spell. Void eruption is the name of a spell and my point is that through simple tweaks it may be able resemble Rampage

And mine is that, at that point you have done a mechanical overhaul / rework. Whether the buttons / buffs keep the same name or not is irrelevant. If we believe we are past the point where blizzard are going to do a rework / mess with resource systems (Which bliz said themselves was the end of alpha), then it doesn’t matter

If your solution to fixing voidform involves changing the mechanics and interactions which have defined it for the past 4 years, then it is the same as removing it.

1 Like

So I don’t believe these changes would actually be a rework. A rework would be designing new mechanics. I’m suggesting we simply tweak the numbers on mechanics that already exist so that it plays more closely to Fury. Number tweaking is still on the table I believe

1 Like

First off, I don’t care where live shadow is at DPS wise as everything is crazy and unbalanced right now with all the systems on top of systems. I care about the baseline functionally the spec will be at going into SL. Most specs going into SL so far have everything they need to feel “complete” and all the borrowed powers just makes things better. The issue with shadow right now is once again you need legendaries, conduits, soulbinds to make the spec “function” at any level that feels “complete”.

Of those changes, nothing is addressing the core issue and that is with Void Form. The entire spec baseline toolkit and talent tree is build/designed around Void Form up time yet it doesn’t “work” and so far everything that “fixes” the spec is through borrowed powers and they do it in a way to not interact with Void Form because if it did… it would be OP because it will scale out of control.

Secondly, I don’t measure a spec that is clearly designed for 1 type of content to be good/decent in THAT type of content. I measure it in the content it struggles with and with Shadow, it struggles in SHORT duration fights be it PvP, Torghast, outdoor content or dungeon trash etc.

After considering those, the “evidence” that I would like to see is really something I consider impossible, this why I asked to see it because I can’t for the life of me see it working in the game for the reasons I have just eluded to because as long as you have a “ramping” mechanic in THIS GAME then it will not work because that is not how THIS GAME is designed around.

I haven’t played fury since WoD. So does fury DRAIN away while your in combat and not able to press your buttons because your stunned or CC or the target is immune to damage? If so, then I find that odd that it would be considered “beloved” as you claim. If not, then NO it is not the same.

Shadow’s Void Form has many issues, not just ramp. But those issues will be less annoying to deal with if the ramping aspect was REMOVED so then your “windows” of power will always be at 100% power instead of maybe getting to 70% power only then you get CC or the target goes immune (cloak of shadows) and yet all your power is drained away as you cant “pause” the drain and even if you could, it would be clunky as heck.

2 Likes

Ramping mechanic in this iteration of WoW, with the rush burst style gameplay is sort of bad, he has a point…

Notice how Afflic Warlock suffered extremely in BFA M+, Visions but just like Shadow Priests did ok within raid, but Blizzard did amazing work with Affliction in Shadowlands Alpha/Beta that’s why I have hope for Shadow Priests.

But don’t get me wrong, with corruption both Shadow and Affliction can do everything currently.

Actually yes. Its a buff that disappears after a few seconds of time. It doesn’t work exactly the same way but it shares a lot of similarities.

Whats the buff called?
How do you get the buff?
Whats the CD of the buff?
What does the Buff grant you?

Its called enrage

You get it from an ability called Rampage and it costs 85 fury

No CD

Grants haste and increased damage

Edit: it lasts like 4 seconds or something like that