WoW crashing

Mine is unreplayable at first. I was a returning WoW player and I just got back for TWW.

It has something to do with Max Foreground FPS, Max Background FPS and Target FPS. I am playing at max resolution at (3840x2160) 4K with 4K OLED TV as monitor pushing my hardware to the limit. I dont think I would have these issues when I was using double 1080 monitors.

At first I set my Max Foreground FPS to 60 as the default was 100. And it went well for few hours until one time, the black screen went off. The audio was still there, and I heard my computer fan to turn on very hard. So I have to reset the system.

Whenever I reset the system, the Max Foreground FPS settings goes back to 100. Unreplayable. I cant even reach to the first screen with the 4 toons in front. To resolve this, I have to press the “Options” button just next to “Play” button. Then go to “Game Settings” - “World of WarCraft” - then “Reset In-game Options”. With this, I was able to reach the first screen with the 4 toons in front where I could access “Settings” to be able to set the Max Foreground FPS back to 60.

I was able to play for few hours again until some random event that crashes the game again. And I have to repeat above all over again to recover the game.

It seems there was a background program called Overlay that caused these crashes. I looked at my Task Manager and found VPN, Norton, NVidia, Microsoft Edge running on the background. I just turned off VPN and Microsoft Edge running on background and I also updated drivers related to Microsoft Edge. I even turned off Hardware Acceleration on Microsoft Edge. So far, I was able to play for hours with no crashes. I think those Overlays are the ones popping out on my other games… now they are all silenced.

So far so good. No crash. Will let you know if it happens back.

It crashed again today when I was doing the Radiant Echo events with my lvl 18 Void Elf Priest. This time when it restarted, my whole computer was experiencing lag. I decided to restart it and it went back to normal. I going to send them a ticket, but I may try your method.

EDIT: I also didn’t have anything running in the background. So, that probably isn’t the issue for me.

You didn’t list any specs or a Dxdiag, so there’s really not much information to go on.

1 Like

I did put a Dxdiag on a ticket for them.

But you didn’t put them here and this is not a replacement for the ticket system.

If you want help here, you have to post the info here.

1 Like

Same problem, posted in the other tread. Big problem!

I tried to post my DxDiag here, but I really don’t know how to put the file in.

1 Like

DxDiag

Okay, I think I got it.

Computer too old…???
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
Make sure you do not have that selected.
Yours is the other one…

I would have thought the first line might have been enough, but the 2017 laptop should play wow…

Mine…Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 is what I have and was min for SL. With 16GB of ram.

_https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-mx130.c3043_

A note from that website.

The GeForce MX130 was a mobile graphics chip by NVIDIA, launched on November 17th, 2017. Built on the 28 nm process, and based on the GM108S graphics processor, in its N16S-GTR-S-A2 variant, the chip supports DirectX 12. Even though it supports DirectX 12, the feature level is only 11_0, which can be problematic with newer DirectX 12 titles.

You might not be supper happy, but work for lower content.

Good luck have fun.

You graphics card is really old to be honest that could be part of your problem.

1 Like

It happened again… now during Dungeon run. I isolated it… it happens when there’s too much spell effects. It seems my GPU cant handle it causing Crash. Remember, I am running on 4K resolution (3840x2160) on RTX2060 card.

So I lowered down my Spell Effects Density and Particle Density while maintaining other effects. Then I ran WoW again. After 8x consecutive Heroic Dungeon runs on Remix, no crash. So far so good. I hope I pinned it down. Would update you when Crash happens again.

I know some people still play WoW on potato specs, but what are your temps hitting during gameplay? I was on an i7-8700k up until mid-Amirdrassil, and I was just tired of the soul-crushing lag in Mythic raids. I was running at, like, 40 FPS best case paired with a 6700 XT on 1440p, and kept ticking down settings as I went.

I can hit 9.2 gigs of VRAM on 1440p, and you’re trying to run this game on 4k with 6 gigs of VRAM from a budget GPU. Absolute madman.

1 Like

It wasnt a budget GPU when I bought it many years ago. I just lowered my graphics settings recently. I had several Crashes lately where I hear my GPU fans crying loud. Becoz of Overheat. GPU shuts down immediately causing Black Screen during the game but audio keeps on running. It’s a matter of setting it right.

I beat Uber Lilith with super fast movement with tons of effects on the background with no lag or GPU issues last Season. However, the new Season with a new patch started showing me Crashes. And it so happened I am coming back to WoW and when I got the new patch, it crashes too. I was here in DF release without such issues. Only on TWW and also on Season 5 of Diablo 4. But I am fixing the crashes… one by one. Too many culprits. I would buy a new card when this GPU stops on letting me play these games.

Take note… Minimum GPU requirement at 1080 is just GTX900 series at 3 GB. I could still use this RTX2060 on double monitor at 1080 in case it cant handle 4k anymore.

It’s straight up not a 4k card, but if overheat is what’s crashing you, it could be worth looking into re-pasting it. PTM 7950 seems to be the way to go if your GPU consistently runs hot, and what I plan to do to mine when the time comes.

That was the first thing I did…new thermal pastes on GPU and CPU. But crashes kept on happening. The temps are normally low until my GPU was ran into specs/mode that it cant do. That’s why I have to figure out the specs that it can do. The recommended settings that GEForce gave me for WoW doesnt work. And even WoW default settings for me is ridiculously high. I have to tweak it further.

So far so good on dungeons with all the spell Effects on Meta Gems and tinker gems I put on gear. I will try Raids next.

I don’t really recommend using this (GeForce Experience, I think). I had a 1070 Ti, and 970 Ftw as my two cards before switching back to AMD. It never really helped, and the universal suggestion was to not even install it, generally.

I’m guessing you’ve tried reseating it. You could try running a Memory Test, since you’re crashing could be entirely unrelated to the GPU. Driver reinstall, blah blah blah.

I don’t know if it could help, but you could run the MSI Util v3 and see if you can tick MSI-based interrupts, and if that does anything.

Does Windows Event Viewer indicate anything in particular?

It seems this thread was hijacked from the OP, as their issue is no longer part of the troubleshooting discussion (system doesn’t meet requirements).

I have considered that my problem may be caused by my computer being old and outdated. It’s just that the crashes just seemed to happen frequently within the last week.

Brand new RTX 4060…