Wow could easily be ported to consoles

I decided to level another character from 60 to 70 today and wanted to change things up. I had heard about playing wow with a controller so I typed in the console command and also downloaded the addon called ConsolePort. I have to say, it felt REALLY smooth. If blizzard incorporated the addon which helps tidy up it’s controller support, wow could be pretty big on consoles.

Essentially, instead of hot bars you have two sets of four abilities which coincide with the face buttons like x y b and a along with the directional pad and you just drag your abilities onto whichever button you want to use. Hold in L to change the buttons (like hitting shift) or R or L and R. You seamlessly add abilities to use and it’s very intuitive. The left analog moves your character and the right analog moves the camera.

You then have a crosshair on your screen which actually acts as your mouse. It auto targets enemies and moving crosshair over a different enemy targets another. When doing dungeons it was easy to hit the target that I wanted to target and hit. Also, it works for your ground targeted abilities. Point the cross hair and that’s where your ground target ability will be.

When you pull up a menu, it smart attaches your curser over different things and the d-pad moves it just like a regular console game so getting around menus is super easy. Flying is also easy because you are just moving the right analog stick to go where you want.

Overall I was very impressed and it was a great way to experience wow! I really had my doubts about playing wow with a controller but now I’m convinced it could easily work on consoles. The only issue I could think of would be how addons would work with a console. People would be at a disadvantage playing without dbm or weak auras or something like that, but maybe if they really wanted to make consoles work, they would build in that funtionality.

Oh yeah, they should also incorporate the storytime addon which basically makes it when you talk to an NPC it’s like in guild wars where it has your character and the npc really big and just has a few lines of text where you click to move to the next lines of text to make the game more immersive.

5 Likes

And the Mona Lisa could easily be used as a placemat.

28 Likes

Have you tried to place a ground-targeted AOE while using a controller? even with that addon?

4 Likes

console players hate using kmb though.

1 Like

Yeah, heroic leap.

No it couldn’t.

No class would work on a controller due to the massive button bloat in WoW. Not even BM Hunter.

2 Likes

We already have a console port of WoW.

It’s called “plugging your PC to your TV”.

In seriousness, i don’t know why you want WoW on locked hardware and no with real options, it would sound like a waste of resources for a worse version of the game, considering Blizzard’s console ports outside of Switch wouldn’t be popular anyways.

1 Like

Only if we can auto silence people who complain about how it’s not as effective as keyboard and mouse.

Because you know the inevitable, “nerf gcd. Its not fair. Like ff14, like ff14, like ff14” will come as pearls of wisdom to disgruntle kb mousers

3 Likes

Controllers have an objective limit on the speed of the thumbstick, which is effectively key-board turning.

Meanwhile on the mouse, you can move in an instant with holding the mouse buttons and move in tandem with the keyboard for more precise and responsive movement and looking.

That’s not a complaint, those are just facts that we all know for like a good 30 years or more since Consoles and PCs has been a thing.

2 Likes

I have 30+ keybinds.

I have 30+ add ons.

Good luck with that on consoles.

Also. Moving and casting. Good luck.

8 Likes

Both WoW and Final Fantasy 14 have too many buttons to be effectively played using a controller.

1 Like

…How many is too many? Because on the regular with my toons, i press no more then 15 buttons at most.

As much i give Controllers crap for being objectively slower then mouse and limited in it’s design to a point where you can’t look and do any of the actions on the face buttons, it can still give a good amount of inputs to work with for this type of game once you get into the triggers being mod;alt/mod;shift.

I don’t understand the responses here.

Who cares if it’s worse. At least more people would be able to play the game. Which is good considering the already large barriers to entry.

It’s not like this is an intense game. Having to do like 60 apm on a controller is ez. I push way higher than that playing smash melee.

It seems as if op had 8 buttons on the bar and 3 extra modifiers for a total of 32 actions. Seems good enough to play most classes.

As for the whiners… just don’t listen to them? Sure people will complain, don’t people complain about everything in this game anyway?

Edit: you can also play claw to look and use abilities at the same time. I play a lot of game claw grip and my hands are fine btw. Hurts more to use kbm in fact.

Who cares about console players?

2 Likes

Every class works on a controller. Some specs more easily than others. I would know because I actually play with a controller. BM is literally the easiest spec to set up and play.

3 Likes

You can do things like BDK and cast it @player, but until they change it back to allow them to be placed @target it’s won’t be easy, possible, but still can be done with a controller.

FFXIV is played effectively using a controller, that’s why the game is also on consoles.

Pretty sure it’s the other way around, the game can be played with a keyboard and is why it’s also on a PC.

I feel like this will be one of those things people will think it’s impossible until they actually give it a shot. Like I said, I didn’t think it work too well either until I gave it a shot. You can easily keybind all of your abilities, up to 34 keybinds on your controller. Doing ground targeted abilities is easy having your crosshair showing you where it’s going to go.

I was also worried about healing thinking it’d be hard. But you have different options like using the arrow pad to target dif party members. It really is a great experience - if you have your doubts, give it a shot. It’s what I did and I’m going to keep playing with it.

No one said it couldn’t.