Wow classic SLI?

Did anyone by chance test SLI with the wow classic demo? Does it work?

I get around 80fps at 6880x2880 in the blood elf starting zone on live with my single card.

I mean, it’s just WoW…

2 Likes

Do you mean WoW spanning three monitors? Because that’s not what SLI is.

2 Likes

No it is 3440x1440 at 200% resolution scale.
21:9. It maxes out my 2080 ti. Trying to gauge if nvlink would be used at all.

Ahh gotcha. Didn’t recognize the resolution.

Still, I don’t think you mean SLI. SLI means you have two connected video cards.

Anywho, Classic should run any commonly supported resolution.

The client is the modern client.

How does the current WoW client perform with linked cards?

Oh… So you do mean SLI.

In my experience it’s not worth the trouble. Always causes problems and doesn’t give you that much more performance.

I guess I just have to hope those vanilla textures are easier to run. I also plan on backing water down to classic texture.

Yeah idk man. I just stick to 2560x1080. It’s enough pixels for me and I don’t need a crazy powerful video card to keep up.

1 Like

It is really crazy to see my 2080 ti max GPU usage trying these settings. I guess if things don’t work out I better start saving for the next Titan or something.

Classic is based on the new modern client meaning multi-gpu setups are pretty much dead for two reasons. The new client got rid of exclusive fullscreen. SLI and Crossfire require fullscreen as both methods use AFR, alternate frame rendering, to share the workload. AFR doesn’t really work in windowed mode. Crossfire straight up doesn’t work outside of fullscreen where as SLI technically can work ,but gpu usage will be uneven and microstutter will occur due to increased frametimes. This will also further increase the cpu bottleneck on your system.

Second reason why the new client kills multi-gpu setups is the push towards the new DX12 API. DX12 does not support Crossfire and SLI and instead has put the responsibility on the game developers to integrate the new way to use multi-gpu setups, Explicit mGPU, into titles. A few games have done this, but I HIGHLY doubt Blizzard will spend the resources to do it. You can still opt to run WoW in DX11, but doing so will not allow you to take advantage of the new CPU multi-core enhancements that came after BFA and other performance improving features that are coming in DX12 for WoW. The CPU multi-core enhancement in DX12 alone is enough of a reason to never run DX11, as the gains from broken windowed mode SLI are not worth it over being able to spread the game more evenly over your cpu cores.

I play at 3440x1440 and using 200% resolution scale actually looked less sharp than MSAA X8 on my Titan. MSAA also drastically reduced the load on the card. If you do want to stick with 200% resolution scale, be sure that you are using trilinear filtering as bicubic is meant for resolution scales below 100% IIRC.

EDIT: Just to clear one more thing up I saw mentioned… NVlink on the new GEFORCE cards is still just using SLI. Bandwidth requirements for SLI on the new RTX cards surpassed what current SLI bridges could support, so instead of creating a new method of letting cards communicate with each other for the sole purpose of SLI, nvidia just implemented NVlink connectivity that SLI is allowed to communicate through. GEFORCE cards do not use NVlink, it just uses the same connector.

4 Likes

Considering that you can play WoW on a tablet I don’t think you really need a whole hell of a lot of GPU for Classic.

There are some areas in BFA where they have higher requirements, but in Classic this is not going to happen because of the texture detail and the number of total polygons is way way way way lower in classic.

Either way SLI should work out just fine regardless of the “support” provided by Blizzard. There is always a work-around if you’re hell bent on making something work.

I am 100% gpu capped at this point with my 2080 ti. 5ghz cpu barely gets used and yes I have it running at 5ghz constantly. No power saving messing with my fps. I hope you are correct and wow classic will really be easier to run. I chose the blood elf starting zone because I figured that was the closest to vanilla zone we have in the new client.

Graphics cards don’t do a whole lot with WoW. The cpu is the bottleneck. WoW doesn’t really take advantage of multi-cores. Unless they’ve addressed that recently.

I know people like to repeat that but at above 4k ultrawide resolution the gpu does become the bottleneck again.

So far the answer I am getting is nvlink does not work and I will have to wait for the next generation of graphics cards.

Pg348q? That’s what I’m running on.

GTX 1080 is overkill for the Vanilla client 1.12. Can run a VR game at the same time as Vanilla @6880x2880 SS. 100fps.

SLI is near dead technology for gaming.

I assume you’re running an intel processor. I’m waiting for next gen intel with more pci express lanes. Using 2x NvME each using 4 lanes has my gpu running at 8x pcie. That would bottleneck an RTX 2080 ti.

Chances are it’ll work the same as does in the current client.

I would think with the lower poly models, lower res textures and such, there should be some improvement in frame rates. Especially since the game is largely cpu bound.

So good news from the stress test beta. With a 2080 ti at 6880x2880 120hz I get between 100-120 fps, with 99% you usage, graphics level 10 but classic water textures. A much better result than 80 90 fps in BFA.

Zones with a lot of grass like westfall are what I found to be the most taxing at this resolution.