Insane temps and gpu usage

My specs…

Case: cooler master argb h500

Mb: aorus master z490

Cpu: 10700k

Gpu: rtx 2080 x2 in sli

Ram: Corsair vengeance 3600 cl16

Cpu cooler: ml360r from cooler master this is a great cooler and keeps my temps below 65 in everything on silent mode

Monitors: omen x 27 ( x3) these things are insane

Now I will say I think I understand the temps since I’m running 2x 2080rtx in sli And the usage being so high… but what I don’t understand is the gpu usage being at 80%+ on main card and about 40% on second card most the time… is this normal? I have settings maxed with msaa x8 enabled and vsync turned on I should also add when I’m inside buildings I don’t have much usage above 60-70 %.

SLI?? :man_facepalming: Wasted money. It’s dead tech.

Did you even check if Classic supported SLI?

A pretty good post from April 2019. Wow classic SLI? - #11 by Justalilguy-sargeras

I just hope you didn’t build that computer specifically for WoW Classic. Overkill and way beyond what you need for just Classic.

7 Likes

O god no wow classic is one of many games I play… I got it so I could get better frames while playing more intense games at 1440p… but you never said anything as to why the usage was so high

Fam, sell one of those 2080s, sli is pointless in 2020

5 Likes

In almost every case, SLI is a performance downgrade these days.

Since it’s now on the developer to produce SLI compatibility, none of them bother and you just end up sucking more resources to do nothing. You just make extra heat, and often expose yourself to weird glitches.

Return that card if you can. Resell it or take it out and build a second computer if you cant return it.

1 Like

Do you have a “founder’s edition” card, or an aftermarket card? The cards that come out when they are just released normally don’t have good cooling and are very loud. I waited for a bit to buy my EVGA 1080 Ti Black Edition. Big fans and cool temps compared to my older cards that I had.

Did you or the game crank up the render scale? That will cause very high usage on your graphics card. If you maxed it out, what it will do is render the game at twice the resolution and then shrink it down to fit your display.

If you’re running WoW on 3 monitors, and then double the amount of pixels…that is going to give any GPU setup a workout.

Usage is going to be high for tasks that aren’t optimized for SLI. Same as multithreading. Developers have to specifically optimize the code for it. Otherwise the main core/gpu will be the one taking the hardest hit.

1 Like

First off WoW is horribly optimized compared to modern titles…adding more hardware doesn’t churn out the FPS like you think it would.

Secondly SLI doesn’t do squat for DX 12 and non full screen options.

However with that being said… 3 monitors will work those GPU’s pretty hard with WoW’s hardware limitations and with cumulative resolution values.

Are you using the Mesh front panel or the Acrylic swap? That much heat will need a great deal of positive pressure airflow to feed the GPU’s.

Where is your CLC mounted…top or front? Top would be ideal to free up the front fans to feed the GPS’s without creating turbulance in the case.

What are your front fans set at for RPM, and are they linked to ramp up with CPU load when needed?

note: I’m not the biggest proponent of 200mm fans overall, most of them, except Noctua, suffer from impeller warp over time, and fail pretty regularly.

And maybe try to trade the other one for a 1070 and some drums.

My machines run fine in 4k x 24.