WoW Classic Realms Listed By Data Center (Updated 8/31/19)

Is there a blue post somewhere with this xrealm confirmed stuff at what phase?

This is a gut punch if true. How did I miss this…

He says it will drop with Phase 3.

GOD DAMN IT TO HELL

(ty for link)

added stalagg’s IP/datacenter location

@Zhane
If you mean an East Coast data center that Blizzard uses then I believe you are correct. If not, as someone who works in data centers for a living, there are many many data centers on the East Coast. Chicago though has a very large collection of data centers though which I believe has something to do with protecting them from natural disasters. Same reason we have so many disaster recovery sites out here near Denver.

Good work on the post! I like folks who are there for the community and those who try and help in any way possible.

That being said: <Realm Discord Servers for NA/EU/OCE> ✨

New York and Phoenix use to have data centers, if I recall correctly, but all that was moved to Texas then Chicago a long time ago. It might have been for NDP or cost but I don’t remember blizzard ever giving a specific reason.

there is a blue post covering this ya know

1 Like

How big are these datacenters? Do they need to rent out an entire floor of an office building and fill it up with servers? Or do they all fit in one room?

Normally the buildings are contracted out by a third party or set up specifically by the company and then get a pipe to the backbone.

As for physical size of the building - it will vary. I don’t know the square footage or anything but knowing the amount of servers it’s probably quite substantial.

To be clear, those IP addresses are the public addresses at the firewall of the data center, which have ICMP enabled, unlike the servers. They are wildly different from the server addresses because the external trace points are on a different network. Tracing to the actual server will fail to resolve or respond for the last handful of jumps because they are behind the Blizzard firewall. All addresses resolve to California in GeoIP databases because of this.

The server contact addresses are fixed and only ever changed during realm maintenance if required which hasn’t happened in years, for Retail. They’re included in the data file downloaded from the realm-list server. The Wiki only lists one, but each server actually has 4, two IPv4 and two IPv6 addresses, that are directly assigned to that server through their internal NAT/DNS.

1 Like

added Skeram to Chicago and Blaumeux to the LA Datacenter listing.

u are asking for a DDoS to happen on release aren’t u

Blizzard has a firewall and DDoS protection on their servers. I wouldn’t have to create the scenario - all of us logging in at the same time on launch is going to have that effect anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

This list is mostly for people to know what data center their server choice is going to be in and allows those who might need to troubleshoot an issue the opportunity to do so.

Why are all the IP’s listed for the LA Datacenter listed in a IP range registered by RIPE NCC a Regional Internet Registry in Europe, and most IP online Geo-location tools report their location to be in the Netherlands or France?

Blizzard uses a shell company in the Netherlands to register things, for tax reasons. Those ranges are assigned then leased back to the data center in LA. That’s why the whois info directs to the shell company instead of Blizzard in California.

As for France, I’m not sure but it might have something to do with Vivendi.

Hey, do you know for sure Incendious is on the CHI server? On the website it has Incendious listed as PST but the forums list it as EST. Bigglesworth says EST on the website and PST on the forums

We currently do not know. I updated this post when the blue post was the only source of information. I will be sure to update as soon as we get notice one way or the other. At the latest it will be 10am PST on the 26th. It will only take about 2mins to find out what is where once the server comes up.

I’d recommend being prepared to make the jump to both servers if you plan on doing that. I do plan to be around and online when they launch for name res.

[edit:] it was in chicago

Thanks! This was awesome!

This is for ping only, note that realms in their time zones will have a different time zone then the data center.