WoW Classic Realm Names and Types - Updated Aug. 27

Based on all these numbers, the game is going to be a flop, just FYI. The limitation of not having a subscription hamstrung a lot of the testing.

I agree that these are clues. But if they mean much, the population at startup is going to be pretty thin. I think Blizzard will learn much more from the naming today - it gives people two weeks to learn of Classic launch by word of mouth, sub, and grab some names.

We just had a test over the weekend. Two weeks before launch so the hype is fairly thick. Everybody fit neatly on 3 servers here in NA.

Well, we are guessing server will be holding 4k-6k players. The original servers were 3k-4k. It it was more so a tech restriction. Having 10k+ servers would be game breaking for the economy has they already stated node respawns are not being increased. Even then 10k isnā€™t enough.

So when beta was active, you had well over 150k people active watching classic streamers. Those are people intently following the release of classic that watch streams. What about those who donā€™t care for streams following intently and those that plan on playing but havenā€™t been following at all. I am playing with 13-15 players and about 90% havenā€™t been following the progress of classic development at all. Iā€™m sure the majority of the player base thatā€™s going to jump into classic havenā€™t really been following it. They have the release date and that is enough since its a game they are familiar with.

Are we? Is that with or without layering?

No, it was not. 3k was a gameplay restriction, and about 4.5k was the tech restriction. They did not limit to 3k because of tech.

My house I have 7 of the blades :slight_smile:

Nah, itā€™s fine. Just like Wyrmrest Accord. Itā€™ll eventually just become BB or Bloodsail anyway, when people discuss it. So who cares?

To everyone worried about there not being enough servers, they will probably just wait to see how many people reserve names before they add more. They will also most likely wait to see how many subs startup before launch and expand to cover it.

Server technology is far different than it used to be. If they need a new server, they literally just flip a switch and it spins up. They probably have a list of servers to scale as they grow.

2 Likes

Numbers I could see were not in the millions or hundreds of thousands to be sure, and I wouldnā€™t guess the numbers I couldnā€™t see were much different. I donā€™t know how many people were on the stress tests, and donā€™t know how many people launch from their client to see the stress test ad. Also no clue how what percentage of people who plan to play after launch participated in the stress test, etc. Blizzard might have some other secret kinds of numbers from the pserver admins they contracted to consult on the project. Random jibberjabber I heard from classic advocates about pservers was that one or other pservers dinged 100k players. Blizzard quit posting sub numbers, but 100k seems like a drop in the bucket by their standards. But 50-100k people on 13 servers. Probably not as dubious a project for one of their teams as the selfiecam. :slight_smile: Edit: No offense to selfie cam designers, Iā€™ve actually done a few things with it. Just remembering the outrage when it was the main new feature/content of one of the 6.x patches. :slight_smile:

Also anecdotally I know a couple people who quit pservers and came back here after pservers piled on so many customizations that they became alien. Felt sort of ironic hearing that since the idea of the pservers was for people to escape the changes Blizzard made to the game over time.

my thoughts as well - who knows, maybe they doing this on purpose to come out with a couple more AWESOME named servers to throw everyone one more curve ball in the next 2 weeksā€¦ -

ā€œweā€™ve been monitoring forums, and agree - so were launching a few more serversā€ - - hours before launch lol

They did not. Feel free to provide actual sources to back up your claim.

*accounts. And WoW has more than 100 million of them. Free accounts isnā€™t exactly a hard number to inflate.

Even at a 40% peak rate, 13 servers is enough to handle 100k people comfortably.

I meanā€¦ technically your times arenā€™t accurate because weā€™re in daylight time and use EDT, CDT, MDT, and PDT. And you thought you could avoid the trolls :trolleybus:

1 Like

Thatā€™s why I use PT when people are being nitpicky.

^ This was funny.

I hate time change.

RP-PVP from CA! Canā€™t wait <3

with how few servers released. Its gonna be like 50k+ per server with full blown layering ruining the game. Thats my point.

That may be true, however without the Nostalrius team, Classic would never have happened. At the very least there needs to be some kind of reference in the game to honor them. The only downside being such a thing didnā€™t exist in Classic so Iā€™m unsure of how to implement it :thinking:

My point was that 2-3k is the server online population weā€™re expecting. Anything more than that is no Vanilla.

With layering most people are talking about 45k (15 layers at 3k, or 9 at 5k).

you need reading skills. Its like talking to a mirror.

You said:

I was asking how you came to this statement, since noone is guessing that.

RP-PVP from CA! Canā€™t wait <3