WoW Classic led to the biggest quarterly increase in subs in WoW history

From the earnings report

• World of Warcraft® Classic drove the biggest quarterly increase to subscription plans2 in franchise history, in both the West and East.
65 Likes

Nice now where are my patch notes!!!11

7 Likes

Zero chance they won’t make TBC and WOTLK servers eventually - corporations don’t just turn down a huge amount of money laying on the ground to be picked up for minimal effort.

52 Likes

Wow, nice. Think about what “in franchise history” means. 1st Q 2005 to 2nd Q 2005 had growth of about 2 million subs according to that graphic for 2005-2013.

11 Likes

With this in mind I’m surprised paid server transfers haven’t been offered to those who didn’t meet the parameters when free transfers were offered, considering how many times the topic has come up.

Activision, please listen to your money makers, the Blizzard population. We’re driving you.

4 Likes

Candy Crush is their money maker

13 Likes

Paid transfers weren’t available in classic and they’re retaining this in order to keep things as close as they can keep them to classic on their end. Allowing paid transfers, while not directly affecting players who choose not to buy them, open up the possibility for players to be a dipwad on their server and just transfer off without a care in the world, new server, new name, functionally fresh start, something that shouldn’t be possible in classic with how heavily community driven all endgame content is.

7 Likes

Funny, because apart from those handful of people who ignorantly kept on going with leveling and making toons on thier first server pick, disregarding all warnings about queues, lacking understanding of PvP realms and every other garbage excuse ive seen attached to those “i want paid transfers” threads, Blizzard have listened to the larger player base who dont want a free pass given to less desirable and ignorant people.

Paid transfers were a late in the cycle thing, had a long cooldown, and were restricted by other factors. You’ll get paid transfers eventually, just not soon.

4 Likes

The devil is in the details. Classic boosted Blizz’s Q3 revenues but I can’t see the 200+% increase in monthly subscriptions that the market research firm Superdata estimated when Classic launched.

All ActiBlizz says is that Q3 sub revenues for Blizz was comparable to when BfA launched in Q3’18. So my premise that most Classic players would come from retail maybe isn’t off the mark unless Blizz’s other ip subs revenue (enough to make a diff?) really fell off a cliff.

1 Like

do you have a link source

1 Like

Citation needed.

Without data to support your conclusion, its just hyperbole.

I would love to see a seperate sub OPTION for classic players, so blizz didn’t have a way to hide and/or distort the figures for Classic by blending it with other noise.

I for one, boycotted everything with a blizzard logo on it for nearly a decade. The single thing that has bought about my return was Classics release. I played refail for about 10 days before classic, only to fill time waiting for classics release. I have many friends who have also returned for similar reasons.

Not saying you’re wrong, but you certainly aren’t right either and have zero evidence to support your conclusion.

5 Likes

Remember, they gave away the Classic client software for free so who knows? They could have added a few pennies to Bobby Kotick’s eps even if they had charged a nominal price. lol

They give out the retail client for free now, too. Even if you want the physical box it’s only $5 (at full retail price Battle Chest is $20 and includes 30 days sub which is worth $15)

3 Likes

Google Activision Blizzard Announces Third-Quarter 2019 Financial Results

2 Likes

ActiBlizz’s 10-Q provides the Q3’19 to Q3’18 sub rev info I wrote in my comment.

As for how Superdata got their estimate, no clue. You’d have to ask them. I sure hope it wasn’t based on those realm census add-ons.

No.
You were told paid server transfers aren’t a thing in classic, you were warned paid transfers would never be allowed in classic.

Your options are
A. Deal with it.
B. Re roll.

5 Likes

Guys we all knew this was gonna happen, it’s just a better game. Let’s move on.

7 Likes

Where did that info cite that most classic players are from retail ?

How would that data represent someone like myself, when i have technically played retail, but only briefly to fill time until classics release.

Actually paid transfers can impact players not using them via changes in the server auction market as well as population ratios for world pvp. Now rerolls can have a similar effect but that is over a period of time and not more instant and direct as a server transfer which means a more drawn out adjustment period.

Paid transfers can also impact the community by allowing bad rep players to easily get away and become someone elses problem more instantly. That isn’t good for the destination server. At least leveling up the existing server population can learn more about the persons character before risking raids and things.

2 Likes

Burning crusade and wrath are going to blow classic out of the water you heard it here first

3 Likes