Wow classic dying? No longer any "full" servers

It’s only “dead”, when it no longer exists, as in you’re unable to log in, at all 'cause there’s no servers available, for it :cocktail:

But some people think if it’s no longer “popular” that means it’s “dead” :roll_eyes: :cocktail:

3 Likes

Seems kind of silly to be talking about server status over Xmas. There’s a lot of normal players that just aren’t going to play much or at all for a week or two because they’re with family.

Heck, if mine weren’t so far away I wouldn’t be either.

Also- we did just get PCT, so if your on the bad side of balance, chances are that’s going to happen.

Well it absolutely is dying, but we knew this would happen. No new players joining + everyone rushed to 60 and now are AV spamming or raid logging = dwindling population.

You can’t replace vanilla. People just play a lot more now and basically rushed through everything. Not even mentioning the NEETs either.

7 Likes

Wow, another “wOw cLaSsiC iS dYiNg” post. Color me surprised.

1 Like

For an MMO, I’d argue that “dead” includes situations where there are no longer enough players to support certain activities.

If you can no longer raid because only a few people still play, the game is dead. Ditto with battlegrounds.

11 Likes

Like I said, the “high” you see right now is NOT based on real time population, rather it is based on the previous week’s population. This is why you never see “low” population anymore because it’s based on averages.

1 Like

Ermahgerd it derrrn!

You must be pretty young, but just because the highest server goes from Full to High does not mean the world is ending. Having a “Full” server is never even the goal, that means that particular server is overpopulated.

1 Like

Where are you seeing this because I’ve seen populations on incendius flucate from low-high within 2 hours on a weekends.

And I get what you’re saying, however I don’t do a lot of group content. I do a lot of Solo projects. Raids and PvP aren’t the only things that make an MMO, or Multiplayer Game. There are Group Quests, as well which doesn’t need 40 (or 20 people) to conquer :cocktail:

I think the Solo play is very much alive and will last much longer than the Raiding and BG scenarios. I stopped playing those a long time, ago :cocktail:

3 Likes

Lol what does age have to do with anything? Server numbers are dwindling, this is fact based on population status as well as ironforge pro.

3 Likes

Now you see why they made changes to the game originally.

As fewer people are playing you need to make changes to make content accessible, meaning less group content while leveling etc…

If anybody expected the classic game to live for a long time they weren’t very smart to begin with.

7 Likes

It is your right to not accept reality if you so choose.

It’s also pretty obvious the original population was hugely bloated, and would die down over time.

It’s getting easier to quest, but it’s not looking dead at all from my perspective. I needed Isha Awak on an alt, and while hunting up and down, she was killed by two other people before I got my turn. I head to Desolace on another alt, and there’s several people looking for more for the Khan Hratha quest. I decide to mine in Thousand Needles, and chat is full of people wanting help with Steelsnap and the Hypercapacitor Gizmo, and at least two other people mining.

Bring it back to what? Overpopulation to such an extreme it’s impossible to do any quest without the whole area being swarmed?

Now, I do think WOW Classic is doomed for the next year or two to wild variations in population. There will be spikes and dips because of players who race to complete something then cancel their sub until the next phase they want. Only after Naxx has been out a while will we see what the hardy final population range is likely to be.

But those things (along with other group content) ARE an essential part of what makes a game an MMO, which is why its a qualifier here.

If the population can’t support those activities, the game is “dead”, even if you can still solo some things.

5 Likes

lol

10chars

1 Like

Nah, just the group content stuff. The rest of the game is still very much alive :cocktail:

Just those parts of the game. There’s still a lot more to the game to explore beyond Group content. I never expected the Raids and BGs to last forever, but I wasn’t here for that, and if that’s all you’re here for, you’ll be highly disappointed :cocktail:

I enjoy the Questing, Leveling, Professions, building stories for my characters, etc. And to me, that’s still an alive game. There’s still plenty of stuff to do, besides Raiding and PvPing. Even as an MMO, it doesn’t mean you have to play and group with other people. It just simply means you’re playing a game, and other people happened to be sharing that same world, with you :cocktail:

I think it’s more likely people are transferring to get away from server queues to less populated servers than the game dying a rapid death. Although games like this don’t tend to gain more players as time goes on, they bleed them. WoW was an exception to that for many years, but I doubt that would ever apply to something like classic.

Yeah I’m on Faerlina and have noticed a pretty big drop off, but it could be worse I guess. Most are spamming AV at the moment, my guess is we’ll see some increases over time when more phases are released. Overall it’s kind of supposed to die though, it’s a game that literally has a timeline and then no more new content.

1 Like

I think a few jumped on the Free Transfer at the very end to prevent ppl from following them. Not to mention $25 Transfers are available people are most likely spreading out