WoW Classic Character Clone Pricing Update

No it’s a hidden fee man. People play the game under the assumption that they are able to continue playing as long as they pay their sub assuming the company doesn’t go under. This is the same sort of nickel and diming crap that led to the MMO microtransaction boom and crash.

I have a couple characters on Classic realms and will decide to either play them there still or move them on for TBC realms.

I hadn’t seen any indication I was losing them. Odd maybe I missed that?

Seems there is always going to be criticism of Blizz services (whether warranted or unwarranted), but in any case a lower fee on the character copy is a net positive that will lead to more people playing classic and a lower chance of the game being dead.

I recognize that some people are frustrated with having to pay to essentially “keep” their characters, but I hope we don’t forget that in the original game there was no such option and everyone else just moved on while you stayed at 60 in a world full of 70’s.

With this option classic enthusiasts will be allowed to keep playing the game they enjoy without being impacted by the major changes of later patches, expansions, etc. It may not be a perfect solution, but at least we have an option to stay in classic era now.

1 Like

It’s no different that adding a new class, or a new spec, or bonus XP servers, or hell raid drops that only “premium” players have access to.

TBF they are not charging you to stay in Classic or go forward in TBC. The fee only comes if you want to do BOTH things and I find the concept of having to pay for that to be fair.

3 Likes

Why exactly?

Now - change Arena to the way it was… and ONLY put rating requirement on Glad weapon.

2 Likes

How about this, everyone gets 1 free clone after that, payment is required. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. Keeps the era servers alive (?) maybe.

1 Like

Okay but back then they did not make a promise about keeping the old game alive. They also did not a few weeks before implementation decide that it was now going to cost you. The two timelines aren’t identical enough to be used as a similar contrast.

Like if I promise you a burger would you have expected to pay for it? Doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

You’re paying for the convenience of the service, not the actual cost of the service. I’m fine with that as long as the convenience fee is reasonable.

At the end of the day the sub fee, outside of country conversion rates, hasn’t changed since 2004. It hasn’t changed because you have all these extra paid services they bring in additional revenue from.

You want to wipe out all their paid services and let everything be free? Be prepared for that sub fee to go up.

1 Like

It’s like people are HAPPY that someone is charging them $1,000 to keep driving their car because it was less than the $2,500 they were first told. It’s already your damn car people.

2 Likes

Strawman no one implied everything should be free it has nothing to do with the argument at hand.

It is free to one server of your choice classic or TBC. The snapshots are taken at the same time, so if you choose to go to TBC and later want to unlock your classic character, you will pick up the classic character from when the snapshot was taken. You will not transfer a TBC character to classic.

1 Like

Uh…it’s not a strawman. Malkor is literally arguing that the cost shouldn’t even exist…ergo he thinks it should be free. He is claiming it is a “hidden fee” that shouldn’t exist because we pay a sub.

Yeah but he never said everything should be free. YOU are the one who inserted that.

If there’s no cost then what is it?

I’m claiming that there are people that have already sank around 2 grand into this game just through subscriptions and expansions. It’s absurd that they are adding yet more fees for things that should simply be included.

It’s already one of the most expensive video games in history.

Game has been out since Nov of 2004 IIRC? So really almost 17 years which means by November you could have dropped 3 grand alone in a sub fee actually unless you were 6 month bundling. Add on expansions and any services…and yeah I’m sure people are breaking 4k or 5k at this point. But then again you’re also talking about 17 years worth of entertainment.

Regardless the sub fee and the expansion packs (and any other services you paid for) all have direct associations with their cost. Your sub fee is for access to the game, your expansion purchase is access to the new content, any services you bought was for a specific reason. You were never lead to believe that any of those costs you paid would be justification for other services down the road.

You don’t take your car to the dealer and say “I spent 25 grand to buy this car brand new, you should be doing my oil change for free” do you?

More like “I spent $25,000 on this car now they are threatening to repo it if I don’t hand over another $5,000 for their ‘you can drive it service.’”

If they’re threatening to repo it from you it’s because you didn’t actually give them the $25k upfront and you’re on a payment plan that you haven’t made your payments for long enough.

And last I checked Blizzard doesn’t let you pay in IOUs when you use any of their services.