Wow and Free Speech and forum Censorship

Blizzard has imposed rules against using certain types of language. We take that for granted. Most players are aware of this. Blizzard also punishes violations to it’s rules.

But why? Take into account that most players are late teens and adults. Parents can set up profanity filters and so can individuals. One player can mute another player so they don’t read what that player types. So If parents can protect their kids who play Wow. And the rest are adults. Why the censorship. Specially in the forums? Who does Blizzard think they are protecting?

Why not let people say whatever they want to say. Let people express themselves. If other people don’t like what is said. Just don’t continue reading that post.

The United States constitution guarantees freedom of speech. It guarantees freedom from censorship by government agencies. Unfortunately it does not cover private entities. Here lies a fundamental problem. Since This impacts Social media/forums.

So any private company can censor speech. But is that a mistake? In essence, what has happened is private companies think that they can act as censors effectively negating the constitution. I would think that the constitution’s freedom of speech would supersede Blizzard policies at least in spirit if not by direct law.
In other words If the Ideal is that the Government should not restrict free speech. Then wouldn’t that be the Ideal for all sectors of society?

But to be Honest, I don’t know what the solution to this conundrum is? So I will turn to you the forum visitor and ask for your opinion.

Having said that. What do you think as a forum visitor about Censorship of the forum?

Do you think the forum should not be censored at all?
Do you think it should be censored more strictly?
Do you think it should be moderately censored?
Do you think the forum moderators can be fair about the decisions they make?

I’m asking you for an honest opinion.
Thank you.

69 Likes

Oh good lord, do you know any other business that lets you come on to its premises and say whatever you want?

Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.

Telling Blizzard they can’t impose standards of behaviour on their platform is censoring them, not you.

Want absolute censorship free speech? Log off and open Notepad. :roll_eyes:

227 Likes

I see your trying to turn the question around in defense of Blizzard’s policies and interests.

Which is fine. I respect your right to an opinion even if I don’t agree with it.

19 Likes

No, I’m happy to criticise Blizzard when warranted so trying to paint me as their shill doesn’t deflect on how you prove the adage that those who complain loudest about free speech, usually understand it the least.

113 Likes

Anyone got marshmallows? This is going to be quite the dumpster fire.

28 Likes

Themselves, mostly. The more you ban/mute someone who causes any sort of problem, the less reports and future bans you have to consider. It’s a good business decision.

26 Likes

You would be wrong.

73 Likes

You have absolutely no idea what the constitution means by “freedom of speech”.

83 Likes

This.

I’ve known Red for many moons. Red definitely has their own opinions on Bliz.

16 Likes

If I invite you into my place, and you go on a loud tirade, I’m well within my rights to tell you to get the hell out. Blizzard’s house, Blizzard’s rules.

You want to spout off bigotry, conspiracy and whatever else, take it to twitter.

56 Likes

Posts like OPs is exactly how you know that person hardly understands business in general.

48 Likes

Virtually every website/forum/whatever that champions “free speech” and doesn’t ban people for saying bad things just turns into a bunch of children trying to one up each other in how edgy they can be.

You’re in Blizzard’s house and you’ve agreed to abide by Blizzard’s rules while you’re here. They have the rules because it would otherwise chase a lot of people off that they would rather have giving them money.

20 Likes

Or civics.

9 Likes

You will probably hear this a lot but here it is once again. The US Constitution prevents the GOVERNMENT from blocking your free speech. It does not prevent people from creating rules on their PRIVATE PROPERTY.

This forum is the property of Activision/Blizzard. We are here as their guests. They have every right under US law to create rules for the use of their own PRIVATE PROPERTY.

44 Likes

This was my first thought exactly.

18 Likes

The United States constitution guarantees freedom of expression. It guarantees freedom from censorship by government agencies. Unfortunately it does not cover private entities.

Sure it does. Private entities cannot make a law prohibiting your free speech either. No private company will arrest you for your speech.

So any private company can censor speech.

Wow can’t censor you. They just don’t have to put up with you. They can’t stop you from speaking elsewhere.

In essence, what has happened is private companies think that they can act as censors effectively negating the constitution.

Are you in jail for anything you’ve said? Can you be put in jail for anything you want to say?

I would think that the constitution’s freedom of speech would supersede Blizzard policies at least in spirit if not by direct law.

Why would it? You have complete freedom of speech. No one can stop you.

8 Likes

I’ve given up trying to correct these numptys at this point.

15 Likes

that is am immature and assumptive take.

But you do you little man…

HE has a point. they have a chat filter system, but heaven forbide you say a curse word… or that they will cater to one set of people, IE over religious ideology and flat out ignore anohter is telling.

They knee jerk react instead of approach many topics like a mature sensable adult.

We are told to ignore the childish/ignorant actions and they take action only when it suites there wallet.

1 Like

All free speech means is you can walk into the middle of a public square and say any terrible thing you want without being arrested. Whether people decide to beat the hell out of you for doing it is another matter altogether.

20 Likes

Kanye plays WoW!? who knew?

7 Likes