Wouldn’t Cross-Realm Servers solve all our issues?

I get that but Cross Realm would be amazing for Classic.

The problem right now is that there is no other reason to be on a dead or med/low pop server when Mega servers exist.

You get groups for all your content at any time of the day, there is no risk of your server getting shut down or killed off due to low pop and a lot of people are just temporarily moving to other servers to avoid queues only to transfer back leaving the previous server dead.

Having the ability to Cross Realm Group means that the guy on the 4k server doesn’t have to fork over $25 to play the game and not wait in LFG for 3 hours to find groups, he can just play with his buddy on the 30k server for free.

This will completely alleviate stress on queues as people will be more willing to move to other servers, it is the only way to kill Mega servers back then and even now.

What about grouping in the world? A guest player to a server could have boundaries… like resources gained are account bound. Quests can still be completed. This would allow people to at least quest together.

There is different types of cross realm. There’s CR zones and CR instanced content. CR zones does have its issues.

Perhaps the resources issue could be solved by personal resources like retail has. It makes farming kinda nice n relaxing instead of a frantic race to a node and feeling anger at the person who got there first.

1 Like

That is a reasonable compromise.

Recruiting actually can be far more challenging on the massive megaservers due to no name recognition and tons of competition. Unless you’re at the top. People will randomly flake out etc.

Tons of guilds have died when trying to have a better recruitment pool. Few people notice it because there are just too many guilds to even know this is happening, and it’s not something to widely share when it happens.

2 Likes

Truthfully I don’t want CRZ either, I would actually just be happy with Cross Realm Grouping as that would be enough to fix most of the issues we have now.

Cross realm ZONES was added in MoP, I am sure of it.

Doesn’t anyone else remember the sheer outrage of every expansion but MoP having cross realmed zones?

It was months and months on general discussion of how mad people were to see players from other realms out in the questing/farming zones from other servers, and all the rubber banding that came with it.

I can see those being issues for sure with recruiting. Also guilds have several raid groups to soak up all the available players. However… someone needs a raid spot! True about there being more flakey players. I just think these problems aren’t as bad as there not being a warm body to fill a spot.

1 Like

Oh you know what you might be right, I looked it up again. It was during pre-patch of MoP. I was speaking about Cross Realm Grouping which came out in start of Cata.

I don’t want CRZ, I wanted the grouping so people from low pop servers can play with people on high pop servers as that would be the easiest way to fix faction imbalances and server population issues as people can be more free to join any server they want.

They have the technology too! They made capital cities server-only while other zones were CRZ. There still could be guests from other servers if in a group with someone from that server. I think personal resource nodes might solve the issue of invading another server for their resources? At least for mining and herbing. But what about drops off mobs?

Yeah this is could be the issue with CRZ tbh, I think the current personal resource node + layering might fix it but even then I can see it being an issue if they did go through with full on CRZ.

I don’t think CRZ will be realistic in Wrath but maybe they might consider Cross Realm Grouping for the sake of all the server drama they’re facing, I can’t imagine they can lock the servers forever without people getting outraged that they can’t move around or play with their friends.

Yeah I am good with cross realm grouping, that would be totally fine, and I don’t think it would hurt server identity or create unwanted competition for farming items.

I’d like to be able to play with my fiance who is still on the fence about whether he wants to leave bene or not.

1 Like

Yeah I think this is the case for a ton of people as well, it’s tough convincing people from megaservers to move because they initially got there out of pure desperation.

I personally left behind a 5k realm that I started in because it completely lost its’s population, people just wanted to go to big servers to guarantee that never happens again.

Had they done Cross Realm Grouping from the start it would’ve easily prevented all the issues we see today.

Yeah I get it.
I was personally very happy to leave bene, and was planning to transfer off there anyway, so for me the free transfer was a win, but my fiance has a good guild and friends who play there, so he is in a rather bad situation between not being able to even log in to raid or see said friends, but wanting to stay on the server he started on the week classic launched.

I could get on board with cross realm grouping, but I fear it wouldn’t solve the queue crisis, as he still wouldn’t be able to get on at a reasonable time to even play with me =/

That’s my whole point. If you read my reply you’d see I avoided mega servers for this reason.

Server specific drama exists on the smaller servers in TBC.

Even my first server which is now dead had some epic drama.

1 Like

“Being on a megaserver reduces the chance of being on an inactive server”

Herod says hi

2 Likes

Your experience is either very rare or you’re lying. I watched guild after guild leave my server because they couldn’t find enough groups to do the dungeons. With the rep grinds and attunements in BC they kept falling behind. Finally my guild left to go to a mega server. And it was all about not being able to find dungeon groups. I decided to not transfer with them and stick it out because I was a holy priest and my problems weren’t so severe. But eventually I had to transfer to. I wanted to play the game not spend hours looking for people to play the game with. The transfers to mega servers was mostly driven by players not being able to find dungeon groups.

I play on yojamba now

Server identity is a joke

every person who plays on a server without an identity: “server identity is a joke”

dd and grobb mob be like: am i a joke to you?

2 Likes