[WotLK] Let's talk Dungeon Finder

Well, in wrath badge gear is a lot more important.

You kinda did

I don’t know the first set of badge gear and all I use is the trinket…

Not sounding that important

You’re REALLY stretching. My previous post that you even responded to…

Of course with raids dropping badges from launch it was also easier to get badges.

sure, first set, but you get full tier sets from badges starting in either uld or totc

I will agree that the minor dungeon boss badges will be good in 3.3 if you fell behind. In the year leading up to that at 3.0… not so much. A weeks worth of heroics should get you better past the point where the low emblems are of any use. I really think the gear was ilevel 187. If you get an extra badge in a bag on day one, it will hardly be a gamebreaker.

Later on if you need 232 gear for ICC you probably fell behind the curve and need all the help you can get.

But gear is NOT the only thing you buy with badges.

I don’t try to argue about the rewards pre-3.3. I had quit the game in that time. I came back in 3.3 largely because of the accessibility the dungeon finder provided. That was my end-game during Wrath. Running heroics over and over. Being able to get tier gear (even if it’s just the prior tier) just from doing dungeons was cool. And incredibly fun. And that’s what I was looking forward to the most in Wrath Classic.

2 Likes

Do you get full tier of current set or the previous tier?

In 3.0? enlighten me

This is a pretty good post.
I’ll play the devil’s advocate for a moment here.
The issues you listed could also be tackled in different ways that doesn’t necessarily includes the LFD, or at least not in its original form from 3.3.
A bigger incentive for dungeons could at least fix some of it without the need of a LFD to automate the process.

For example:

You don’t need LFD for this one, the incentive can be had in other ways such as a repeatable quest to increase dungeon participation as a whole.

Whichever one it started with it was current.

Frost orbs in 3.0

1. I do not believe cross-realm dungeon finder should be added. Nor is this a “I’ll quit if I don’t get my way!” whine. It’s a simple reality that the reason people stick with MMORPG is due to the social environment. The more tools added that diminish community, the more people drift away. They won’t attribute it to features like cross-realm dungeon finder but that will be the underlying cause. When people say WotLK was the height of WoW, it’s important to remember that’s when WoW began to decline.
  2. A dungeon finder tool tends to prevent a lot of negative interactions where people are imposing weird gear/spec checks or trying to foist their various loot rules on others. It means you can go do other things while the dungeon finder does the work of finding a group.
  3. Again, it’s not about dungeon finder but cross-realm dungeon finder. Indeed, this is also an issue with mega-servers: you can’t form communities unless they’re small enough that you’re seeing the same people repeatedly. The sad reality is that unless Blizzard addresses the mega-server problem, it doesn’t really matter what they do with dungeon finder.
  4. I think the best solution is balanced servers and a dungeon finder that is limited to only players on that server.
3 Likes

Frost orbs? Lol. Ok.

Yup, save them up, trade them for higher orbs when they come out.

we need automation, the current spamming is not fun.

6 Likes

People are just going to buy them since they’re not BoP. They’re not going to sink a lot of time into doing dungeons for just that.

The issue then becomes how much do you have to incentivize them to the point people will do them for that incentive. We have primal nethers and gems from badges now, are those leading to people spamming heroics?

How do you incentivize the specific roles that are actually needed? The only success blizzard ever had with that was the loot satchels in Cata for needed roles. But DPS players cried about that endlessly.