WotLK is the start of retail

I always hated this, they made the cata overworld like one big massive inside joke about the old overworld that was no longer available. I hated it.

The cata overworld was clearly designed to be played AFTER the original game world, but like whyd they remove it? it felt so weird. they should have waited for the world revamp until they could retain all instinces of the world, or do cata overworld in the same spirit of classic instead of being a joke

1 Like

Only thing I enjoyed about Cata was making a ton of gold doing the JC shuffle, and twinking, which isn’t even an expansion specific thing, in fact it’s better in wotlk.

Twink arms warrior in wotlkc will be legendary i think you can get to TfB at 19 right? 29? its gonna be insane regardless.

Was amazing for the couple of weeks or so that the level 70 grey item entis quenched sword didn’t have a level req. People were rending people and one shotting them in level 19 bg’s as warriors.

Spitting hard facts. Wrath is the start of retail. Casual content, Recycled content - excuse me “Heroic Mode”, you never need to leave Dalaran except to do your daily chore quests, Cross server LFG, Each phase cancels out the previous phases gear - its a retail players casual dream.

1 Like

Nah its very clear theres a divide in WOTLK, Naxx > Ulduar is very tbc esque, and Toc was the beginning of the cata dynamic. Huge tier ilvl gaps, 5 man catchups, and then RDF.

The way you engaged with the endgame up until ulduar was very similar to how you did it in tbc, and during ulduar there were plenty of nax OS and maly pugs rolling.

in the toc patch however: The 5 man catchup, the removal of tokens, the massive ilvl gap completely invalidating all but the very tip top ulduar gear was the first clear departure. If you remember Valanyr (The ulduar Legendary) had to be buffed by something rediculous like 20 ilvls to keep it from being immediately replaced by normal mode TOC 25 weapons.

Its not as cut and dried as petrova makes it seem, and its very soft facts, seems to me they might not have played before ulduar, and may be wrath babies themselves.

(heres the link to a 2009 article descibing the Valanyr buff btw:
www-engadget-com/2009-07-10-valanyr-being-scaled-up-in-patch-3-2.html )

1 Like

Wrath was the last time classes weren’t homogenized.

Except the classes are somewhat homogenized in WotlK. Look how many different classes/specs now bring the same buff to raids versus Vanilla/TBC.

2 Likes

This is a good thing, herp derp let’s get 5 shaman just for heroism was meh…

1 Like

No, that would be TBC.

Not saying it’s good or bad, just that the “retail homogenization” begin in WotLK, as did the “lets make most content a complete faceroll”.

1 Like

Heroic modes were started in TBC

You had even less reason to leave the city in vanilla where there were no dailies at all

CRBG was introduced in vanilla, you know a cross server group finder

By and large the current tier has always replaced most of the last tier

People need to stop pretending these things started in wrath

The initial changes to homogenization started in vanilla with the class revamps that aimed to bring more specs up to par. They were further continued into TBC.

Also not something started in wrath.

MoP had obviously less fanfare but was an order of magnitude better an expansion. (mechanically)

That’s all the more reason not to put things from Retail into it… Considering its popular, lets not make it instantly unpopular by polluting it with “Retail” junk.

Adding the retail AH isn’t adding junk or making it unpopular.

Neither is adding a LFG Tool, the issue is removing RDF instead of having both, and that LFG Tool being largely inferior to the retail tool.

1 Like

So you’re just ignoring all the things that WOTLK kept from Vanilla and TBC? Kinda moronic.

Exactly. THAT is adding junk. Just because we’re on classic we get inferior tools?

tbh. if they ever shutdown classic wotlk and launch cata classic classic is dead xddd

i think he meant cata was the start to failure, while wotlk felt more fluid like retail (or was the start of fluidity) but maintained the satisfaction of playing like classic/tbc. Class homogenization was and is indeed a complete failure.