WotLK is the start of retail

The only correct thing to do is to release Wrath exactly as it was.

1 Like

Actually, it didn’t…

If MOP was so good, then why did the population drop so much? (mmo-champion.com)

For those of you playing the WotLK Launch Bingo game, you can go ahead and mark off the “X Expansion is the start of Retail” square!

most expansions have issues, not denying that at all… but did you play a shadow priest in legion?

Not only was the entire spec reworked before AND after the expansion, but we had two legendary items that were essentially 1000% better than every other option. Do you know what I got as my first legendary in legion? I got Prydaz, BEFORE IT WAS GOOD.

Not only did they rework my class to function around an ability that killed me, but the legendary they gave me after WEEKS of farming was the one legendary in the game that “prevents you from dying and gives you a shield for X amount of your HP%”. Add on to that that prydaz had the worst possible secondary stats you could have for a spriest, I was using a world quest necklace over my legendary because it was technically better.

I’ll never forget I did a PuG Heroic Emerald Nightmare where I saw a paladin get a legendary on Ursoc, we stepped out and changed the raid difficulty to normal, and that same paladin got ANOTHER legendary off of the first boss. This was before most of the people I knew had received a single legendary.

Population held steady into a new expansion vs growing, and immediately started declining after cata launch honeymoon ended.

I know we get points for gotcha quoting and all but the decline starts with the end of growth.

Sorry, but it was Cata, and it was mostly due to some were unhappy with the world changes to something that looked all broken, and some due to the long content drought with 4.3. WoD was where it really fell apart because there was basically nothing to do, then Legion/BfA/SL continued breaking the game down.

At worst it stopped growing in wrath, but the decline was in the dumpster fire… I mean Cata and it fell rapidly indeed

If it is true, with each expansion in one way or another you are forced to change classes. And that’s a bit annoying.

god i wish people read the posts they quoted.

Yes it is, and relearning your class, and borrowed power etc etc

The community destroyed the community. Not QoL features. You got lazier and had less free time in your day to day life.

1 Like

Wotlk isn’t the start of modern WoW. It is the end of Classic. Cata is the start of modern WoW with the actual destruction of classic Azeroth.

1 Like

One way your version of the game will be successful is if it supports all of the above. You may need to add new windows for what is needed and not remove or modify the existing one. It would be like playing a new expansion. Most are what they don’t want.

It seems to me that this is what the community asks for, not changes that ruin what they already know. As everything always has to be continuous. I don’t think it’s hard to understand. Maybe if someone makes a video like many do. you get it

Classic became retail by retail players and how gaming has changed since 2004. We cannot blame the game or the game devs for making changes players asked for and wanted over the years. Some changes you can easy critisise but most things in retail were requests from the playerbase and how the game is setup is from how gamers have changed. Communities are no longer a thing in bigger more popular mmo games as most players dont actually care about that aspect even if they say they do. Actions show this to be true as we ask for features to skip the social aspect and complain that social aspect is the difficult part of the game. If you want “community” however you determine this to be I would recommend a smaller mmo community with less playerbase as those players tend to actually care about the game. but thats just all IMO. take it for what you want.

1 Like

Retail WoW started with the first expansion in tbc.

I prefered the classic Azeroth over Cata Azeroth. Some areas were far more easier to navigate on a mount or running than Cata Azeroth, and some areas were better before Cata.

Those are the best parts of retail. Or at least the Retail AH and respecs are. I dont care one way or the other about cross-realm or not.

Uhhhh ya retail is successful. I also noticed wrath seems like the beginning of retail and wondered if that’s why it’s the most liked expansion; probably.

And DF will probably be another testament to this.

DF is looking to be the next actually decent expansion. That said WOTLK is gonna split the playerbase hard. I have to raid 5 nights a week on WOTLK and doubt ill even be able to play DF under those circumstances.