Wotlk Classes > Era Classes

Hot Take here, but if they ever did decide to evolve Classic with additional content, I think that class fantasy was peak WOTLK.

1 Like

DKs in WotLK are definitely way better than Death knights in Classic Era.

—-

I think it’s difficult to quantify better in this context. Certainly some people will have different preferences from others.

Something pretty cool about Vanilla class design, in my opinion, is the flexibility of class specs. For example, you can use a single spec on a Paladin to heal raids, tank scholomance, solo farm lashers, etc.

As the talent trees get larger in TBC, there’s much less flexibility from a single spec. And sure Wrath gives dual spec, but that comes with its own trade offs and limitations, you still don’t have the flexibility of a single spec to perform multiple roles for end game content.

Though, at least for me, in TBC and Wrath, end game content didn’t include solo farming (often in instanced content).

2 Likes

Part of the charm of vanilla WoW is the lack of abilities each class has. The classes in wrath have too many tools available to them. For hybrids they already felt watered down in TBC. Vanilla WoW paladins had a lot of different little things you could do, Ret was a great healing spec and in tbc you were already pigeon holes into specific roles.

7 Likes

Yeah, WotLK has the class fantasy of rogues having the best burst AoE damage in the game. That’s exactly what I think of when I think rogues! AoE damage!

/s

9 Likes

I would argue, aside from Ulduar, the entire appeal of WotLK was because classes were in a state of near perfection, or at least appeal to most users. If they did manage to #changes to era, Wrath class design should be on the top of the list.

…other than warriors. TG has been a mistake from its inception.

People are going to complain no matter what. There is no time in WoW’s history, ever, when people were not complaining.

Having said that, I feel that Wrath has/had a pretty nice balance of things being easy and accessible, and there still being a ton to do.

There are some iconic raids, dual spec, gold is easy to come by, achievements give an additional layer of content for those who want to complete them, etc.

Wrath is from my perspective a surprisingly fun expansion, and I played it the first time around!

I did really enjoy Classic Era, but I have to say that all the server population shifts, transfers, guild dispersions and changing groups and mains that I did during Classic Era/TBC Classic kind of burnt me out.

Having a solid, long-term group of guildies to roll with makes a pretty big difference to any expansion, imo.

yeah, of course you think that. you got the retail brain :expressionless:
go back to your wow token game

4 Likes

No thanks. Wrath is a retail progression realm. Keep that trash out of Classic WoW.

5 Likes

I would say the balance is the best for non warriors :slight_smile: Sadly warriors have no place in PvE outside of when the expansion is over, if a guild carries them through the phases and allows them to get legendary weapons. Arms in PvP is great with a holy paladin, not so much fun playing with an rsham compared to vanilla & TBC since the loss of WF totem and the buffs all other healers got in wrath

I don’t think so. The Wotlk class fantasy is better to some because the game makes you an extremely powerful superhero which is dumb.

In classic WoW, you’re a citizen from northshire that slowly becomes more powerful. You don’t have every single ability and you’re not a superhero.

can’t jump 50ft as a warrior every 20 seconds
muh class fantasy

10 Likes

sure, wrath classes are more “balanced”
but at what cost? :expressionless:

2 Likes

Its a matter of time that “your” game gets it too, like the wrath version.

Cringe.

Classic is not balanced at all. I would like to see other specs rising since that would change the approach a bit. Bring the player, not the class right?

Bring the player not the class is awful game design

3 Likes

yes, its logical end point is you shouldn’t even have classes :expressionless:

Exactly. But the point to bring a retri or bdruid for example shouldn’t feel punishing.

You shouldn’t even have classes? Lol?
In classic you play classes instead of specs tbh. Its not like a spec which makes you drastically a firemage for example like in retail.

Which is exactly why it’s pointless to try to make it so that every raid wants a “balance druid” when druids already have 2 builds that work in raids (feral + resto).

Most classes only have 1 viable raid build in classic. Druids are one of the few with two viable builds, but that’s not good enough, you still want “muh balance druid”

2 Likes

Every spec in the game is viable in raids it’s just not optimal and that’s fine. If you buff ret paladins or balance druids in pve raids too much you run the risk of making them broken in other parts of the game.
Ret already has decent burst damage in pvp and is a great pvp healing spec, if it can do even more damage why roll any other melee?

I’ll agree that the talent trees were better in Wrath of the Lich King, but I don’t really like playing Wrath of the Lich King. It’s kind of an ugly expansion with far too much earth-tone gear. I love the exploration aspect of Classic.