Wot in an Oppressed Nation

The only reason I am complaining is because Melissa Benoist won’t acknowledge me.

I really wanted Tess Thompson to be the next Thor. She’s amazing and they practically set it up to happen in Endgame! She also has way better onscreen chemistry with Chris Hemsworth.

1 Like

Im very interested in how Taika Directs her, Portman can be great and Taika is a wonderful Director.

She and I aren’t on speaking terms, either.

what’d you do

It’s this thing we do where I try to reach out and say something and she doesn’t respond.

Our last convo went a little something like this, “Hey, Tess! I would like to buy you a nice supper and show you a night on the town. What do you say?!”

She’s busy hanging with me.

Nothing personal, kid.

I’ll be noice to Benoist.

I don’t care about super hero movies or content outside of city of heroes so all this serves to do is give me more fodder as i enjoy my life and watch people lose their minds on both sides as we wait to see what the next pointless bout of outrage is.

Apathy truly is king.

1 Like

I’m not really into Marvel movies but I am really into bad logo design.

The Loki logo is ART :weary: :ok_hand: :art:

1 Like

Better be! She seems really sweet IRL as far as I can tell, lol. Plus her smile lights up a room.

1 Like

I’ve no issue with a ‘female’ Thor, I just wish that these people would have the courage to make a female character that didn’t derive from a male character aka Rule 63’d.

Anybody who is honestly upset at this hasn’t been keeping up with Marvel Comics in general, because there’s a female Clone of spiderman, Gwen-pool, Thor actually ended up sharing a body with Doctor Foster multiple times, etc etc etc.

Do kinda wish that Marvel had followed up on a dropped story arc where Steve Rogers had had a one-night fling with a black woman and their grand-daughter had both the mutant gene and inherited a small dose of the Super Soldier Serum, because having Rogers trying to ‘connect’ with a fiercely independent teenager of colour would have been hilarious on several meta levels.

1 Like

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, because I think more diversity in media in general is needed but approaching it by re-writing established characters with a different gender or race is a misguided effort that raises as many unfortunate implications as it puts to rest.

What we need are new stories, with new heroes, written by new creators. Nostalgia is strangling entertainment anyway; this particular strand of it just happens to have additional repercussions.

I write an ongoing high fantasy serial with a cast that’s mostly female, largely people of color and significantly LGBT+, and I can attest that 90% of readers do not react to that at all. I get a few commenters who are grateful to see someone like themselves represented, and a few who are offended at seeing someone unlike themselves represented, but the vast majority just take a diverse cast in stride, as a reflection of what the human race actually looks like.

We’re ready for new sagas helmed by all kinds of people. We need to let the past lie and stop trying to re-write it.

/rant

3 Likes

I am also in the camp of.

“Yes we need more diversity but i don’t think uprooting and changing established characters to do so is a good idea. Why not make new interesting and amazing characters to fill those gaps?”

4 Likes

Also if you want a good game with people of color and LGBT representation and also a damn fine metroidvania a game called Timespinners is well worth a look.

It was a very good game.

This.

10/chardmamit

I agree with this (cause there are characters that absolutely do this). However I’m not sure I agree that Jane Foster’s turn as Thor falls into this category.

This isnt people going “Hey, Thor but female” this is a story (at least in the comic book which I believe is very highly regarded) in which Thor loses the ability to weild Mjolnir and Jane gains that ability.

Thor Odinson is still very much his own character and Jane Foster is still very much her own chatacter (and the two even fight side by side often during the run) nor is this set of circumstances a permanent change.

I’m not sure I agree that just because a character may share a similar alias and a similar power set that means they are a character that has been rule 63’d

3 Likes

The funny thing is even with my very limited knowledge of super heroes.

I am pretty sure Lady Thor is a canon character

She’s been a thing since 2014, I think… so, yeah.

This x1000

I want to read books where there are characters easily identifiable as POC or LGBTQ+. I want to watch movies where there are more than one character in the cast representing a group (and I don’t mean extras). I want games to have more than one female character you can play.

I want stories where the woman who is the main character isn’t “saved” by the man at the last minute. I want TV shows where the majority of the cast isn’t white male. I want more diversity on screen and behind the screen.

2 Likes