Wot in an Oppressed Nation

If you didn’t have a problem with that arc where Thor was a frog, you cannot have a problem with the arc where Thor is a woman.

3 Likes

Meanwhile, Jimmy Olsen has been turned into a gorilla a few times and no one bats an eye

1 Like

A little nitpick thats needling my brain a bit.

This isn’t Thor is gender swapped. This is Jane Foster is found worthy of weilding Mjolnir and thus takes on the mantle of “Thor” while Thor Odinson often fights alongside her.

Not that you are saying this it just nails my pet peeve when I see complaints that read as “why are they turning Thor into a girl!”

Ah, is that the angle we’re going for in this? That’s miles better than what I thought they were doing.

An older comic series had Thor temporarily sharing a body, and mind-space, with Doctor Foster and it was your usual 90’s kind of deal with Foster having to deal with Thor being a ‘adorable pest’ (and I use the term sarcastically), rambling the back of her mind and giving her absolutely no privacy at any time, and I was kind of concerned that they were going to have it be an awkward comedy angle between the two, trying to work together to be ‘Thor’ to save the world.

I am sorry to make a footnote in an otherwise healthy discussion, all the Thor talk just reminded me of the first time I learned about Beta Ray Bill

Comics are wild

They havent announced how they’re doing this (outside of the fact that Chris Hemsworth is reprising his character) but one can only assume they will be looking to the recent wildly popular run that saw Jane foster weilding Mjolnir.

For those unaware prior to this saw Nick Fury whisper something to Thor that cause him to be unworthy of Mjolnir.

Shortly afterwards a female Thor appeared and there was a bit of mystery as to who it was, turns out it is Jane Foster. On top of weilding Mjolnir she has cancer, which weilding Thor’s powers is making worse.

I can tell you how the comic run ends if you guys want, suffice it to say its satisfying and well written and in no way takes away from Thor Odinson.

1 Like

if you could gender swap one warcraft lore figure who would you pick

Hogger /ten

He isn’t known as the God of Hammers for a reason, to quote one of the movies. Mjolnir may be his most noticeable feature, but it isn’t who he is. He is the God of Thunder first and foremost and will always be such, even if he is not worthy to wield the hammer Mjolnir.

—> unless the process of him losing Mjolnir somehow strips him of his godly status, which would be… somewhat disappointing, to be honest.

I mean Captain America isnt the God of Thunder either.

“Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.”

I’m not sure where Captain America comes into it, but if this is spoilers for Endgame I will bite you. I haven’t seen it yet.

But, right. Wasn’t that still partially retconned in Ragnarok? Since he got his axe after his glorified zap-mallet was destroyed?

1 Like

Its not so much retconned as providing further explanation.

(Its hard to discuss this within the context of the MCU without spoilers)

Fair enough. Either way, her being given the powers of Thor shouldn’t diminish who he is quite so extremely, but that’s just a personal thing since I don’t actually know how it works

I can tell you in the comic run Thor’s character isnt diminished simply because Jane is weilding Mjolnir.

On top of all this I trust Taika to give us something that does all the characters justice

1 Like

There we go. I’m more or less alright with that sort of thing, as well as having female leads have their own thing in popular comic universes. It’d be nice to have new IP’s, but that’s so unlikely to happen that I’m just willing to accept what I’ll get at this point.

I’ve enjoyed all the movies so far too, so I doubt I’ll have any issues with what they’ll give me here.

tl;dr supercomix stories are pretty dumb but nobody who plays World of Warcraft should throw stones.

1 Like

My favorite “We tried to do good but we failed badly” comic storyline in recent memory is squirrel girl where they did some “Let’s get all the minority children into cool computer labs so they don’t become criminals”

And it was just “You tried so hard…”

1 Like

Its also kinda hard to predict what the MCU will do based on the comics considering its often like comparing Apples to alternative universe apples.

Alternate universe apples are just piles of worm with a tiny apple burrowed inside.

Right. Marvel (all comics for that matter) makes some egregious decisions, and there absolutely are characters that are just gender swaps (Lady Deadpool and Ultimate Spider Woman who is just peter parkers female clone).

But we also have characters like say Spider-Gwen who, while sharing a skillset and sonewhat alias as Spiderman was so popular she has her own line of comics.