Worth rolling mage or warlock?

I’m going to reroll from rogue but stuck deciding whether to roll mage or warlock for PvE mostly.

Doesn’t look like rogues are going to get any attention and stay at the bottom of the pack this xpac for PvE end game. So rather than just unsub I’d like to try at least another class.

I’d like to bring some raid utility and damage. Seems like both classes have specs that players deem trash but at the same time both classes have at least 1 spec that is at a really good spot right now.

Opinions?

Well if you’re willing to play fire mage, it’s pretty much top tier for everything. Raids, mythic+, PvP. Fire is just all around a strong spec that handles all content really well

It also brings quite a bit of utility, so is very desirable when applying to groups

2 Likes

I’ve been playing Aff lock and Feral druid this expansion. Both are fun, capable specs. But if you want to do M+, it is very difficult to get into a group.

Demo looks like it might be slightly better next patch, same with destro. But Aff will still stay on top, for Mages. Frost looks like it’s going to overtake fire due to scaling. If you like Fire/Frost. And want to do M+. Roll Mage.

If you just want a raid spot, and good ST DPS, Warlock is a decent spot. But expect to put twice the work in as fire. Aff is the highest skill cap DPS spec in the game right now, and your MR Windows/SE uptime will determine your performance. The difference between an OK Aff, and a Great one. Is MASSIVE.

1 Like

If what concerns you is the specs position in the meta then roll mage 100%.

1 Like

Roll warlock if it’s for raiding.
Lock rocks , portals , brez and gates.

I’m so happy when I see warlocks in my groups.
Worse thing is having to run back to summon people if you have to.

On a side note: I’ve seen lots of demo and destro pumping in sub 15 keys.

So it’s not like your stuck with affliction.
Imo fire doesn’t perform well until u are a certain ilvl and have conduits and lego which drops once every 4 weeks from world boss.

2 Likes

You can pretty much guarantee to get into any group being a mage, but I wouldn’t bank on rolling one just because it’s the meta right now. The meta is always shifting, and sooner or later mages will get nerfed, especially considering how OP fire is for all forms of content.

Your best bet is to go with whatever appeals to you the most instead of looking at whatever class is benefiting the most currently. Trying to run after the meta when the meta doesn’t always favor a particular class is setting yourself up for constant disappointment. Warlocks will inevitably be the meta at some point, as will the other “trash” specs.

3 Likes

Having played all three at a mythic level I chose Warlock.

Affliction is really fun to me.
I love Destro as well.

I don’t do keys much aside from maybe once a week. If you have never played either class I suggest doing a class trial for both.

Both classes have their pros and cons.

1 Like

Lol. Mages always have at least 1, usually 2 top-tier specs.

Look at all the emergency hotfixes since SL’s launch to ensure mages dominate.

1 Like

I’ve played Lock since Wrath. I wouldn’t recommend the class to anyone.

Terrible defensive abilities, long cast as Destro and Demo, and Affliction ramp time is horrible.

Affliction is good for raiding. That is all. PvP, trash tier. Mythics, trash tier. Destro and Demo raiding, trash tier.

1 Like

Destro is only a little bit behind affliction in single target and is better on two target cleave :man_shrugging:t3:

It’s definitely not trash tier.

1 Like

fire mage is OP in all game content at the moment, warlocks only good for raids.

I’m not necessarily looking for the FoTM class. I’m just looking at their class as an option to reroll because of their raid utility and can actually do damage.

Rogue single target feels bad. Not having fun. Besides most raiding guilds always looking for a range dps rather than melee dps. Out of all the ranged dps these are the two I feel like I would enjoy.

What level of raiding do you pursue?

Currently I’m 2/10 M - 10/10H so as far as I can progress with a progression guild.

In that case mage. At mythic level raiding right now destro and demo begin to feel the car shake like hell. Youd really want to play Aff.

Warlocks provide certain unique benefits
(Summons, gateway, lock rocks, brez)and if the group has no other locks it’s not a bad place to be since you always want one really. That being said.

Mage is in a very good spot right now dmg wise and general mechanics wise and bring more meaningful (imo) raid utility like int buff for all casters and and immunity (big one that) and vastly better mobility options

Both classes are subject to change but in my experience mage overall gets more attention and at least 2 specs are generally solid choices at any given time.

Odds are that come 9.1 you’d want to be linked up to a raid team and if they have no locks yet maybe consider that and if otherwise mage. So overall mage is likely the wiser choice given your situation of looking for a mythic raid spec that puts out good dmg and also brings strong utility.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input. I’ve been getting steered towards mage in the the mage forums as well. I’ll give it a shot. Worst that can happen is I go back to Rogue lol

1 Like

If you’re wanting to do high level keys, mage is the way to go. It’s better than lock in pretty much every way minus the healthstones

Mage.

End of discussion

unfortunately it is mage. at least until they do a drastic in game change (corruptions) and locks become broken again for people to cry about us again…

You act like locks are in a terrible state atm