World of Warcraft: Classic, Collector's Edition?!? =O

I want to start off by saying good morning, good day, good evening and good night to you, the beautiful person reading this. You are a good person, and you matter.

That said, after skimming through a couple pages of posts, I didn’t see one that touched on this topic. I apologize if there is one already!

Will there be, or should there be, a World of Warcraft: Classic, Collector’s Edition? I started playing somewhere between 12 and 13 years ago, so I missed out on a LOT of really cool in-game items, events, etc. I saw a post where someone was asking about whether they would get the collector’s edition stuff from when they started playing vanilla on day one, and I realized I hadn’t heard anything about whether there would be anything like those things for Classic. I think we should be offered the option to buy a version of the game that comes with a few in-game extras, and a box set with books about the development of Classic versus the development of Vanilla, the artwork of both, etc. The soundtrack would be cool to have, too. Of course, a mousepad would be a necessity. And since Mommy Blizzard and Daddy Activision love there money more than anything in the world, it would give them the opportunity to charge us a whole bunch more money! -_-

Anyway, I’m short on time this morning, so I have to end this here, but I’m curious to know what y’all think!

3 Likes

Should there be a collector’s edition?

Yes.

Will there be?

We don’t know yet.

4 Likes

Check out the conversation in this Blue post. Leads me to believe there will be one or at least they are discussing it.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw that and that was why I thought of starting this thread, to push the conversation forward. Hopefully a lot of people will reply in agreement that they should have a CE, and then hopefully Blizzard will see it and really talk about implementing it, rather than just talk about talking about talking about it.

2 Likes

If there is a CE, I’d buy it this time around.

One of the very few games I’d buy a CE for.

4 Likes

I don’t see why they wouldn’t have a CE. There’s people here begging for Blizz to take their money…and I’m one of them.

5 Likes

I will happily buy a classic collectors edition :+1:

2 Likes

If you have specific ideas of what could be in a CE, how about adding them to this thread: What would you like to see from a Classic Collectors Edition?

2 Likes

I would certainly buy a CE for classic. Would love to see some of the artwork, maybe maps, faction insignia, etc. Hell, they could release a horde and alliance version and I’d by both!

1 Like

Just no…There wasn’t one in Vanilla…No reason to give these snowflakes that just need to feel special with a CE edition. We’re getting Classic for the ones that want to play it as close as is it was.

Did you just say Vanilla didn’t have a CE?

You bit that fast?

But seriously, there’s no need to have another.

You did a quick Google search and realized that oh crap, Vanilla DID have a CE, and that’s your response? :smile:

I don’t know how you define ‘need’. But why would Blizzard not cash in on additional profits? Why not provide a means by which players can support something they’ve wanted for years and are grateful for Blizzard for providing.

5 Likes

I would be down for a Collector’s Edition. People will complain that Blizzard is money grabbing, though (which honestly they do that plenty).

I dont think you understand what a snowflake is.

I dont see a downside to blizz offering a CE, and I dont understand the negativity around it. If you dont want it or cant afford it then dont buy it.

1 Like

As someone who owns Every CE for every version of WoW, even the ones I have never played. I would be VERY disappointed if a “Classic Collector’s Edition” was released which included the CE Pets from Classic itself.

Which basically creates a problem with the whole “Authentic Classic Experience” crowd as that means the “new CE” holders would have to get something new.

Of course, I’m also amused by the arugments around the original CE holders, such as myself, being either able, or unable to have our CE pets present with us in Classic. I have to agree with the CM response to that one being brought up. It is a unique and highly special circumstance which has likely been overlooked by the Devs and most everyone else until then.

For me, “The Authentic Classic WoW Experience” would include having an in-game mail waiting for me upon my first login on a new character prompting me to choose one of the three CE pets as a complimentary in-game non-combat pet. (I don’t recall if we had the ability to have all three on the same character by 1.12)

I’m willing to forego that experience, as the bagspace can be used for better things. :slight_smile: But it would lessen “the Classic experience” for me all the same because that was part of my experience.

I also think people being guaranteed to an either/or outcome of (Original) CE owners being barred from having those pets(so they’re never seen), or the CE pets being made available as a “Special CE” which legions of people will buy thus rendering them as common, as being being too far on the other extreme.

1 Like

I might be interested, depending on what cool out of game stuff it has.

I personally think there definitely should be a CE, with a pet and the obligatory hearthstone card back, D3 stuff, starcraft stuff, etc, but the WoW in-game stuff should only be available in the current version of WoW, rather than classic. And I don’t think the original CE pets should be in classic, as this isn’t a “rewind to 2004” as much as it is a “re-release of a game from 2004”, I guess… It’s something for nostalgia more than it is turning the clock back, experiencing something new. I’m not sure I’m making sense, but hopefully the majority of people know what I mean. Regardless, even as someone who hadn’t started until after BC was released, I think I’d find it inauthentic from a nostalgic perspective if I got the same rewards for a wholly different game that people got for taking a chance on a new game (which, by all rights, didn’t look like it was going to be a wild success leading up to and even for a bit after the release, from some videos I’ve seen of people recounting the media attention before and the experience after the release). I don’t know. It just feels … weird to me, to think that some people are expecting to receive the same rewards that those lucky few got 14 years ago…

That said, I think that it’d be cool to see a pet (or the option of one pet from a selection of three) on the current version that is a direct copy of a critter from Vanilla- with the bad graphics and all lol. Something like a plain little squirrel that could be mistaken as a rat or kitten xD that’d be neat, I think. I’d also like to see a toy that, on use, gives you 10 minutes or 30 minutes of looking like the old character model from vanilla. Maybe they could pick an armor layout that could go with each class, and then make the toy apply that armor set, in the lesser graphical quality, to whatever your race/gender is- in the same lesser graphical quality from Vanilla. For Worgen, Goblin, and Pandaren, they could just show up as a cube with fuchsia and black squares on it lol (I’m kidding. They could just have a random race applied each time they use it or something, idk).

Maybe a mount that is a direct copy of one of the bosses from a Vanilla raid, scaled down, would be cool? Do we have a direct copy of Ony? I can’t remember if any of the drakes from there are actually direct copies. Or maybe Ragnaros? Again, idk. I’m literally spit-balling here. I haven’t put ANY thought into exactly WHAT could be in a CE, but someone asked up above, and I thought it would be rude to ask you all what you think, but ignore someone else asking me what I think.

Again- just to reiterate- I think all of the CE rewards should be in the current version of WoW- that is to say the Battle for Azeroth and beyond version/s. I think if they added any to classic, it would take away from the 1:1 they’re going for. If folks want access to the pets they got for having the vanilla CE, by all means, give them those rewards for classic. I think that actually would be a great idea. Those folks helped fund the first iterations of the game, and through their word of mouth the game has gotten to where it is now (for good or for ill…), so they should be rewarded with the fun extras they had from Vanilla in their classic version of the game.

Anyway, thank you, everyone, for actually taking this seriously! I never quite believe anything I post will get any attention or responses, so I’m always happy when they do! It feeds my insatiable ego, but it also reminds me that there are still smart, fun, thoughtful people in this community. I just wished more of you played on Area 52 xD

But There was a CE in Vanilla, I bought it.

Certainly would be another way to get people’s attention on it.