World of Warcraft and the LGBTQ Community Member's Experience

Your assumption is that you know what the OP was thinking when the topic was created.
That calls for knowledge of the operation of the OP’s mind. which you don’t have.

Perhaps it would be more productive to address the topic itself instead of attempting to place an accusation of bias on someone you do not know.

No it doesnt, get off your high horse little girl and come back to reality.

Oh look what we have here a little man who thinks he is a internet thug. Makes you happy much to insult people. While you hide behind a keyboard and monitor screen. Oh how brave of you. Oh you are very tough. You little coward.

1 Like

If you say so.

I clearly have no idea what OP might have been thinking. But the questions posed clearly presuppose that person being questioned has had a positive experience. That introduces bias.

My character name is Doug, my real name is Doug. Im not hiding. Only person hiding here is you not posting on your main :slightly_smiling_face:

I love this. I’m so stealing it.

Who cares. you are irrelevant.

The OP asked a few generalized questions. Here is my take on the answers:

Answer 1. When LGBTQ people play Wow. They play just like everyone else does in the general Wow community. Nothing different in their game-play.

Answer 2. In the Forums is where the LGBTQ people sometimes identify themselves and
attempt to discus subjects that matter to them. Usually the Bigots start trolling hate. So most people will instead go to LGBTQ Mega-threads. which in my opinion tends to isolate them from the general forum community.

So there are two factors to the questions asked. Then we have the actual questions themselves. Those questions appear to be focused on what a member of the LGBTQ community personally experiences while playing Wow.

And that’s it in a nutshell.

1 Like

Level 51 toon asks notoriously bigoted community what?

The op did not ask the bigots anything. The questions were for the lgbtq community. You might want to look at my post right above you.

I read that in my head in Kaelthas’ voice lol

Really not something that has anything to do with me playing WoW :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

my server is great it ain’t to hard to meet people but lets get real here everyone is hiding behind a monitor and acting like making what they are uncomfortable. imagine one day you nerds will quit trolling lgbt on the forums it’s so old in 2022.

1 Like

I would take the people who claim to be LGBTQIA+ on here with a grain of salt. Lots of them are trolling and trying to make the rest of us look bad.

I can only speak for myself, but I grew up interested in the same things my cis/straight friends liked growing up. That’s why we were friends. That said, yes it was mostly fantasy/sci-fi; lots of D&D. I liked the escape from reality things like that bring me. It’s why I play WoW to be honest. I had more that just being LGBTQIA+ & in the closet until my 20s going for me. So I don’t play the game, or enjoy what I enjoy non-sexually, because I am LGBTQIA+.

I actually hate the idea that we are a separate group of people who like what we like because we are LGBTQIA+. So these types of questions really irk me because that’s what they are doing. I want it to be just as accepted as when we speak to hetro/cis folks. There gender or sexuality is never a topic of discussion. So being singled out for ours is kind of an issue in my opinion.

2 Likes

Gay/asexual guy here.

I feel welcome no matter where I am or what I’m doing, because I’m comfortable with myself. Don’t need anyone else’s approval or kind words. We are all doing our best to live our happiest life, so I can’t get upset if someone was raised hating people who are different. I truly believe if people knew better, they’d act better.

That being said, it’s easy to /ignore people in game so I’m not worried. In all my ~18 years playing tho, I’ve only ever had to ignore gold seller accounts.

I play WoW because it’s the most fun game I’ve ever played. No reason to stop.

4 Likes

Nice try Doug, but we all know it’s because your favorite show was

I’m Bisexual IRL (for those who are uninitiated, it means you are attracted to both men and women). I think what I enjoy most about the game is the super vibrant and expansive in-lore universe (except shadowlands lol). I have been a fan of Warcraft since I was a kid playing Warcraft 3, so I’m also a huge fan of the Arthas storyline. I also love a lot of the lore surrounding Dalaran, arcane magic, and mages. The idea that anyone who picks up a book can learn the arcane arts in the warcraft universe is very cool to me. I have always been a huge fan of expansive fantasy universes like The Elder Scrolls, Lord of the Rings, and of course Warcraft.

As for what makes me feel welcome in the actual virtual world, I guess for me it’s the fact that as long as you don’t suck at the game you can kind of do whatever you want. It’s like this virtual sandbox full of challenges to overcome that you can overcome no matter how much of a loser you are in real life. Like if I can do decent damage on Halondrus without dying, I have value. A lot of people would say that I’m toxic for having that “git gud” mentality though.

Also yeah, I play other singleplayer games, but WoW is the only MMO that I really play. The latest singleplayer game I played was Cyberpunk 2077. I liked the story, but playing a melee build on the hardest difficulty was actually a nightmare, so I didn’t actually have fun with the game outside the story. Before that was Elden Ring, which I really enjoyed (probably because 2 handed melee builds felt viable lol).

Zug zug.

There’s not much space to learn and process new information when someone already think they’re in the right.

I really like the concept of this graph (I don’t know the name of it) but it goes like this:

1. Huh? What is this?
  2. I know everything!!
  3. There’s more to this that I thought . . . (This is the pivotal moment when you realize that you don’t yet know what you don’t know yet)
  4. I’m never going to understand this…
  5. It’s starting to make sense.
  6. Trust me, it’s complicated.

I find this applies to a lot of things, be it a new skill, or life in general. I usually think a lot of us in our adolescence were in Step 2, and then adulthood hits us like a truck and we realize how much more complicated the world is. The unfortunate scenario is when grown adults remain stuck in Step 2.

Edit: it’s the Dunning-Kruger effect

2 Likes

Good to see that you acknowledge the truth. Honesty is a wonderful thing.

The word you are looking for is Arrogance.

exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one’s own worth or importance often by an overbearing manner. An arrogant official. 2 : showing an offensive attitude of superiority : proceeding from or characterized by arrogance an arrogant reply.

You can add the word pretentious. does that describe you? I dunno. Just saying