World of Warcraft and the LGBTQ Community Member's Experience

I like characters and the numbers that they increase.

Myself, I welcome myself wherever I go and it makes being anywhere much more fun.

I don’t have shackles in the real world. Thanks to God, I am free, I have free will, I have a job I like, and people around me who I love. This game is not an escape for me because I don’t need one. It’s a place where I go to see cute things and giggle, and make numbers go up :grin:

IRL friends got me into it, I still play with them sometimes but it’s less common than before.

I’ve tried GW2, and I still play it because it’s cute sometimes. I’m very bad at that game and not sure what to do, but I’m still able to have fun, which is the point, after all.

Not really and I’m not really one now. I don’t play for the story nor the magic.

I hope my answers help with your research! +1 to the pile of answers

Hope that helps out some

Friends, guildmates, and guild allied group members.

I don’t really feel included outside of my social circles.

I like that I can make toons of the proper gender identity for me.

Second Life.

Yes. And I grew up playing Warcraft, Warcraft 2, and Warcraft 3.

I have a question: Why did you make a new thread instead of asking in the megathread?

TBH, it would of been hilarious but that would of required them to of again made some meaningful choice instead of just random virtue signaling to go “hey look ignore the fact women in our company are being assaulted, we made a trans character to be inclusive”

You post this as if you think people can’t multitask.

1 Like

LIES! /10char

It is not surprising people are questioning because we are all used to the usual suspects making threads along the lines of Blizz give us this or Blizz give us that .

I commend the OP for asking members of their community what there experience with the game is like .

1 Like

Exactly if it isn’t a troll thread and it’s 100% honest question I commend them as well. It appears to have been an honest question, and the OP just asked the question and from what I see hasn’t posted again, meaning they were looking for 100% feedback, not to start an argument.

What is it about World of Warcraft that keeps you enjoying the game?

I get to socialize with people I trust, while not having to leave my house or wear proper clothes. It’s also a familiar and comfortable setting that has been a part of my life for many years.

Do you play any other mmorpgs or single player games that put you into a virtual reality scenario which makes you feel comfortable and lets you be you and enjoy the game on your own terms. Without real world social implications.

I have played other titles like ESO, but no virtual reality. All social interactions in these games are still real-world, IMO, because we’re interacting with other real people. Not NPCs, not AI. What we say and do will have an impact on others.

As an aside, the best groups I have played with have a no politics/religion rule. We’re here to play Murderous Fantasy Barbie, not debate the headlines.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it is really loud but that there are a few that are loud and most have toons that have names that start with a T and a lot of the lgbtq+ people in here think they are fakes trying to stir up trouble between the straight players and the lgbtq+ players.

What they have actually done is unite most of us in our disgust of them

3 Likes

And what social progress found success by letting it go as you claim is better? This feels like someone whose only perception is the online community that can get a bit insane.

2 Likes

Well, when I’m able to talk to people one-on-one about what it feels like to be trans, I’m able to convince many people to be tolerant, even accepting much of the time.

This is as opposed to the approach of promoting poorly-thought-out social theories, using social manipulation, or overwhelming people with force. All that seems to do is make people more resistant, as indicated by declining acceptance rates.

3 Likes

The game has become less and less enjoyable past few expansions. The terrible writing hasn’t helped. Hoping Cataclysm 2.0 is an improvement.

Guildies and the few people i know that still play from time to time.

Liberated from what? :face_with_monocle:

Anyway, i play games to relax/blow off steam/etc.

Yes, that would be every game ever.

Yes, i got my daddy to blame/thank.

I absolutely agree with you. People resent being “Preached” to, or having anything shoved down their throats. People will instinctively push back and get defensive.

2 Likes

Ive never not felt welcome for being gay in wow even way back in 06, but I also never really felt the need to advertise it outside of telling Tauren dudes they’re hot :fire:

I feel like most of the forum threads related to this topic are troll posts by non lgbt peeps that want everyone to hate us, and its begining to work.

5 Likes

100%. People learn by genuine connection and understanding, not by screaming and preaching.

3 Likes

What’s more, this tendency for idealists to believe they understand everything, and that their opponents can be dismissed outright, leads to intellectual stagnation.

3 Likes

:joy::joy: pretty much this. If OP is using the forums as a sampling of the overall WoW community, then a few surprises might be in store.

I have noticed that some people tend to code-speak to other people in the thread. using veiled vernacular. It is counter productive, does not address the topic being discussed. It really comes across as conspiratorial and disingenuous.

If you have something to say. Just say it.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t you craft your questions in such a way as to not lead the respondent in a specific direction? Your questions assume that the person you’re querying is enjoying the game, feels welcome, unshackled, free, safe, and (/swoon) liberated.

It just seems to me that your questions are intended to guide people to support a particular bias or narrative.

1 Like