Worgen should have been a Class, not a Race

So what I’m reading is the OP basically would have preferred Worgen to be completely class locked like the Dracthyr are.

Yes basically a pity actually. The way to narrow it down again would have been more exciting.

Well a fire-breathing monk Dracthyr as a brewmaster I take then just with…

Wrong, they would work wonders as a class. They should never have been made a playable race.

Um, no, you completely misunderstood. Nothing I said would suggest in any way that I wanted Worgen to be like Dracthyr as Dracthyr are a race, not a class. Maybe you meant Evoker? I also never said anything about Worgen as a class being race locked. So no, your interpretation was just completely off.

The lore of the newbie area is them overcoming their whole animal nature and remaining civilized while caught as pawns between their own hateful leader and Sylvanus.

So it does make a bit of sense they want to still use firearms. Considering their history. They are still smart. Still prideful of their skill and craft at warfare and the sea. And firearms make a lot of strategically.

As to those that use swords. They where shocked at what they had become and just like many humans they don’t want to use their hands in armed combat with other soldiers who have reach on them. They would rather not get the blood and gore all over them. And there’s pros to using blunt weapons vs armor. Or long weapons against cavalry.

Anyway. There are exceptions. And some feral worgen. And I essentially agree with your original post and all its points. Some people would choose to go that way.

There’s a whole npc village of feral worgen too. And it would be a cool concept for the game. At present the WoW worgen are just more akin to the Kul Tiran nobility then wolves. They where and still are a Renaissance society on the verge of full industrialization. The main quest for them is mostly seeking a cure.

It would be cool if blizz threw a wrench in that and did an expansion or series of small patches where some worgen break with their civilization and establish themselves, in new lands for instance. As a more low tech culture that is in touch with their beast. Whe remaining socially sophisticated.

It made no sense for ‘super-soldiers’ to be only one class anyway; a race that, as a whole, doesn’t know how to use a shield is the dumbest thing on the planet.

How does that make them not good?

Because they backslid from what they were in Alpha. At some point someone on WoW’s staff got cold feet and decided to try and make the Worgen look more animalistic and feral, which led to the hated chihuahua-worgen on Cata’s release. Only after the model update did Worgen begin to look passable, but even now the wolf side of the equation is woefully lacking as far as customizations. Tail options, hairstyles, postures, all lacking.

I understand that they changed them I just don’t understand how that makes them bad to play?

They fail to live up to the werewolf character fantasy…

They live up to the in game worgen. So you know there’s that

They, along with Goblin, were missing Monk for the longest time for no real reason aside from ‘we don’t want to update the starting zones’. Two Forms is also trash as a ‘racial ability’ because it distracts from them being ‘wolf-people’. Blizzard cowed to people that were unwilling for the Alliance to be anything but Humans of various proportions by basically saying ‘oh you don’t have to be the big stinky wolf if you don’t want don’t worry your human model’s right there’.

It’s so frustrating and lazy, especially when people chime in with ‘Well Worgen have plenty of options, you just have to use your Human form’. I did not pick Worgen to be Human but with a crit buff. I picked Worgen to be a wolf-person.

Worgen… live up to being Worgen? I’m not sure what that means at all.

You hopefully do understand that Worgen are clearly inspired by the classic scifi/fantasy werewolf concept. That’s what Worgen is and always will be attempting to live up to, like it or not. New players pick up the game and and signifcant portion of them will select Worgen with the hopes that they will be able to claw and bite stuff to death, only to find out that that is probably the only thing in game that they’ll never get to do.

Blizz needs to adopt my idea asap and fix this.

And I hope you understand that that is not the direction they went in. What you’re asking for is a retcon. Yeah those don’t go over well. ask the forum

Werewolves are in fact not real and there is no official way to create a fictional species

… Eh, I disagree to an extent. Yes, it’s a bit improper to have Worgen as a ‘race’, but it’s also not right to assign them as a ‘class’. Worgen is a ‘state of being’. A cursed Human with an alternative form. Not all Worgen are slavering monsters in their wolf form, so it makes sense that they would still practice classes. Plus, how would you gear a ‘Worgen class’? What armor type? Weapon type? What drops do they roll on?

Worgen are in the unfortunate spot that their ‘racial lore’ is essentially an undispellable debuff.

Just because they didn’t go in the direction doesn’t mean they made the right choice. I’m asking for more than a retcon. I don’t care at all what the forum thinks, the forum is generally wrong and clueless as a collective and that has no bearing on the discussion at hand anyway.

So, according to you, it’s a good idea to completely subvert the idea of the werewolf by making the Worgen as lame and goofy as possible. That’s how you get players wanting to play more Worgen? Brilliant.

Appreciate the post, but you can make all of the exact same gripes about the Druid, can you not? It’s just a Night Elf in an alternate form. What kind of gear would they wear? weapons? All of these questions are already answered in game, and anything that hasn’t been addressed is a few lines of new lore away from being fixed. If you have a better way to make the Worgen actually achieve it’s character fantasy, I’m all ears.

I mean, sure, you can say that they just get ‘stat sticks’ like Druids might, but that still feels a bit cheap. At that point, why wouldn’t the otherwise-intelligent Worgen use the weapon they have on their back/hip, assuming it doesn’t transform with them? And what kind of weapon would it be? Staff? Sword? Fist? Would we have another Warglaives of Azzinoth situation where only Worgen would get access to certain mog options in these categories? What about mogging in general, would a Worgen be reduced to Bear/Cat/Moonkin form options or would they be able to show off their whole getup in wolf form? Would they always enter wolf form when entering combat, or would they be able to fight as a Human. If so, what style of fighting would this be? Would Worgen be able to remain in wolf form outside of combat?

The problem is the character fantasy isn’t set in stone, it varies per character. Yes, some Worgen would absolutely descend into bloodthirsty mania and try to shred everything in sight, bare-clawed or no. Others might find peace within themselves and resonate with their new form. Others still might push their shapeshifting to the limits, seeing just how far they can go with their ability to change their physical being. Each character will have individual goals and fantasies they want to achieve.

Worgen don’t really fit nicely into the race/class dichotomy because they’re neither a race or a class, which is why Two Forms is a trap of a ‘racial ability’ for the devs, because it tries to make the human side of the equation as important as the wolf side. This doesn’t make sense, because if you wanted to play Human, it’s already on the selection screen.

And we and blizz disagrees… it is what it is
:person_shrugging:

Again, you’re just doing the same thing again. How would this one little tiny detail work? What about this other obscure little problem? And again, a lot of these questions are already answered… by Blizzard… in game… in the form of the Druid. There’s no need to overthink all of these things.

This isn’t exactly true. A fantasy trope maybe not be 100% set in stone, technically, but it is absolutely the case that the vast majority of players will imagine the same thing when they think of a “werewolf”. A giant, bipedal snarling wolf with no shirt, a brown pair of pants, furiously chasing some prey that it wants to slaughter.

You’re still not answering the question, really. Why isn’t this, the most obvious and clearly the strongest character fantasy for a Worgen, actively enabled rather and encouraged rather than being the only thing you straight up can’t get by playing a Worgen? Makes no sense.

Worgen as a class works perfectly fine. No one ever said that the Worgen class would be race locked to humans. Worgen/Human form only exists precisely because Worgen as a character model is effectly race locked to humans. When I’m the President of Blizzard and get to take charge of WoW and fix the game, I’ll be making Worgen a class and it will be available to all races that can become Druids. Gonna be retcons and class design changes galore.

So what does worgen cat form look like?

Druids already had the stupid saberon thing, a previous poster made sure to inform me of that no less than 28 times in this very thread.