Worgen Heritage Armor Story could have been Better

I cant say because we literally don’t know anything because Gilneas exists for 10 levels and then it’s gone.

Maybe dig deeper into the Old Ways, or living in a dark and dreary land of mist and rain?

1 Like

I thought the Harvest Witches could be neat. Wielders of some extent of Druidic Magic already existed in Gilneas and from what little I can find it seems like they were going to be based more around the actual IRL Celtic Druids which I thought sounded really cool.

But nothing was ever done on that note and you can find little to nothing on them. I feel like any idea they had for Gilneas went over to the Kul Tirans who are rocking the Britannia vibe much harder.

9 Likes

the way blizzard handled it makes gilnean worgen feel like furry stormwindians, because it feels like the culture is forgotten and they have been assimilated into stormwind

3 Likes

I think the difference for me is that a lot of that can be explained by Blizz being lazy, or just not caring about a given storyline. The two things I mentioned though, the no worgen babies and Tess’ conclusions about the worgen curse, are pieces of lore added that specifically undermine the worgen existing as a race at all. They can’t reproduce naturally, and the latest lore with Tess has her rejecting the idea of voluntarily becoming a worgen.

if that’s the mindset that Blizz wants the Gilneans to have in their own heritage armor questline, then they’re purposefully writing the lore so that the worgen will disappear in a generation or two and the Gilneans will be nearly 100% human again.

3 Likes

They’ve literally only characterized human culture once with Kul Tiras. Everyone else is Generic Medieval Fantasy Castle with flag colors being the only difference. Can you tell me the significant cultural differences between Stormwind and Stromgarde as best I can tell one just likes birds and red more than lions and blue for their flag.

Well Gilneas is very clearly Generic Victorian Fantasy Metropolis.

The issue we don’t know why it’s like that. We don’t know anything about Gilneas’ history besides they were big sailors once, but then Kul Tiras (which they founded) took that hat from them.

1 Like

That’s another bewildering thing about Gilneas. It has all these unique art assests I imagine a lot of people worked very hard to make - and I never see it in use anywhere else.

3 Likes

There’s one town in the Blasted Lands, one in Val’sharah, and now I guess an Island Expedition?

Which is a horrible waste of good assets. Like everything about Gilneas and the Worgen.

4 Likes

Stromgarde is supposed to be the “warrior kingdom”, but I’m fairly certain it hasn’t come up since Warcraft II.

The kingdom of Stromgarde retains a strict martial philosophy which makes it a highly regarded addition to the Alliance. Situated amongst the foothills of the Alterac Mountains, Stromgarde serves as a sentinel against any invasion across the Orc-controlled borders of Khaz Modan. Possessing a long history of warfare against the Trolls, the warriors of Stromgarde are well prepared to engage in open combat with all enemies of humanity.

This is what really pisses me off. Blizzard doesn’t give a flying crap about Worgen because they have a hard on for the Wyrnn family and Stormwind Humans. They just want Gilneans to become generic Stormwind Humans because they love them so much.

1 Like

So at the height of their relevant cultural distinguishing, which amounts to a decades old paragraph, all we got is they’re brave warriors.

Why that’s so different from Stormwind who, I guess also has warriors who fight Orcs in the open but perhaps do it with slightly less gusto.

1 Like

last i checked strom was suppose to have a more of a warrior culture, but i dont think that is the case anymore. even their buildings look stormwindian

4 Likes

In fairness I think it’d be very hard to sell the warrior honor culture thing when you’ve the Orc brand also in game.

could be a different type of warrior, but fair i guess. i just want my city back so that my race can have a identity outside of being homeless on the streets of stormwind

3 Likes

Because it was their national trait. They had the best warriors. Every other nation had their own armed forces, but Stromgarde was basically the Sparta of the human kingdoms from the implications of it.

From the looks of it, each other nation had their little “hat” except Stormwind and Alterac. Stormwind has always been basically a melting pot of everything, and Alterac was insignificant.

Stromgarde was the warrior culture, Lordaeron was the religious culture, Kul Tiras was a prosperous merchant-nation, Dalaran was the magical culture and Gilneas was isolationist and split off from the rest.

But since half of these got destroyed either during Warcraft III or between it and WoW, most of their traits went to Stormwind (the melting pot) who absorbed them.

11 Likes

At the least, if they don’t want to give us Gilneas back, they should make a zone or section in Stormwind with the Gilnean aesthetic and feel.

1 Like

I think Blizz’s human problem is that the other races look better in most of those hats.

Magical Human Kingdom isn’t quite as interesting as the Elf ones that literally taught them magic.

Spartan Warrior culture is going to look quaint next to the Orcs who put spikes on baby cradles and view honor duels as the best immediate solution to all disagreements.

The religious angle is going to taste weak next to the Draenei, some of whom are literally infused with faith and get space ships from the setting’s angels.

The Kul Tirans work as I think gruff naval power is really all they had left to expand on. The Zandalari supposedly have it as well but an ocean loa never even makes an appearance. They got a more El Dorado by way of the Flintstones with Black Panther playing in the background vibe going.

1 Like

That’s why I want a Brotherhood of the Horse resurgence in Stormwind. Traditional knights are a thing they’re good at which other subfactions don’t have already, and Stormwind really needs a hat to set them apart and make them more than just the generic filler guys (that everyone hates because they feel their own group would fit better but it’s always humans instead).

4 Likes

i rather they didnt because that would only push us more into stormwinds arms, we should be our own kingdom with our own sovereignty and not at the mercy of a foreign kingdom

Well, those descriptions are also dated back to Warcraft II, so the only one of those that really existed and that could fulfill the counterpart idea at the time was Silvermoon.

I’m just looking at this from a 1995 point of view. Obviously in modern times the hats would fit other races better, but when those bits of lore were written those races didn’t exist in the concept they now do.

I always figured they’d turn the Park into the Worgen district. Rebuild on top of it in Gilnean architecture. But nah, let’s put a big giant tomb for a guy who got disintegrated instead of putting that memorial in the actual cemetery next to his wife that he loved very much.

3 Likes