Woke to a text saying my password was changed

I woke up at about 6:20 am pst to two texts one with a sms code and one saying my password has been changed. I immediately freaked out and tried to log into my account on my phone and my password had been changed. I was able to change it to something else. I then went to my computer to check my characters. Everything seemed to be in order but to be honest I didn’t check everything 100%.

I’m am worried though because I have an authenticator and sms protect. I did make a ticket saying all this as well but I have no idea how someone was able to change my password…

I would be extremely concerned about malware, Zaysa. It isn’t impossible to compromise an account with an authenticator, but it is extraordinarily difficult.

I’d suggest full security sweeps, and making certain your email is secure as well.

7 Likes

Gmail has the option to add an authenticator to their email service too. If you’re already using them, have a look into the security option to use that too. That way it’s extremely difficult for them to get into your e-mail.

Another way to help add a level a protection to your account is to first make sure your computer is clean and free of malware. Then, consider making a new e-mail address (I personally suggest Gmail thanks to their authenticator) and switch your account over to that e-mail. Then do not use that e-mail for anything else! Make sure it has a unique password and that your Battle.net account is also sporting a completely unique password.

Hopefully that helps!

7 Likes

Thank you both. I looked at my email and I think it might have been compromised because I had a an email from yahoo saying someone tried to change my password for that as well. I immediately changed that but I think I want to get a new gmail email and change my wow account to that.

I’ve never changed the email on my account is it easy to do?

Also I’m at work on my phone but I noticed there is a way to make it ask for my authenticator every time I log in which I couldn’t figure out how to do on my phone but maybe that would be a good idea I’m thinking?

I also realized my secret question is a really bad one, I won’t say why but I will look into changing that as well.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Go to your Account page, then click on UPDATE on the tab showing your email address. The system will send a security code to your current email address and you will need to enter the code first, then you can change your email address.

Info on changing Secret Question:

Go here and you can check to have the Authenticator used every time you log in to a game client or the Blizzard Battle.net Desktop App.

https://account.blizzard.com/security

You may need to make sure you don’t have the “Keep me logged in” option enabled in the launcher if you wish to have it request the Authenticator code for each login.

That setting is under the General - Security Settings section of the launcher’s settings.

5 Likes

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

You’re welcome.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to keep bumping this but I just wanted to give an update and keep this up to date for my accounts sake. I’m actually still worried about it because this is the first time I’ve had a problem since I got my authenticator.

On the advice in this thread I made a new gmail account and switched that to my wow account.

I added the authenticator on that gmail as well.

I then changed my password and my security question on my account.

Then at around 8pm pst I got noticed that my email was switched back to the original email.

And my secret question was changed again.

After freaking out again for some time I realized it was the game master from my ticket that reset everything.

So I went to change everything again. Email, password, asking for authenticator every log in.

I was able to do this. I did have a problem with sms protect not sending me codes. So I tried to double check my phone number.

It wouldn’t let me it said something like too many requests recently or something. I’m sorry I can’t remember.

I think my account is good now but I have just been worried all day because I haven’t been getting codes by sms protect. I do have my authenticator tho which has been working.

Sorry again I’ve had this account for like 11 years and I just don’t want it to get banned or anything.

Thank you all again.

4 Likes

Have you done a full security sweep of your computer as Orlyia suggested? If you do not find whatever malicious software is behind all this (if there is any) this will continue to happen and whoever is doing this can track every change you make and change them back after you do.

Edit to add: I do not have the link, and not high enough trust level to post it if I did, but hopefully someone else can provide the link to the article that gives a very good step by step method.

1 Like
6 Likes

What you are describing sounds suspiciously like you have some kind of trojan that allows them direct access to your machine, and those can be very hard to find.

I’d have that checked, because if you do, they are effectively sitting at your keyboard.

I’d also shut your system down completely when not in use, don’t leave it up running when you aren’t on it.

3 Likes