Wod was the best pvp expansion ever

For the simple fact I could play every spec in every comp with friends all season long I’ll vote wod as the best expansion ever.

Mop is probably my favorite but wod was a very close second.

1 Like

He didn’t even say that at all. You didn’t even bother to read it seems. He mentioned what he didn’t like about it, not that he didn’t.

He also said he was reserving judgement on bfa until it’s over.

Christ, kid you are either a terrible troll or just plain stupid. And i really hope it’s the former

4 Likes

Yea you could also kill that DK with cross CC while wearing blues. Now you can CC the whole team, 1 deathstrike goes off and your go is laughed at.

Double healer existed because of Mana burn from the priest, but you could still stomp anyone on that team with a good setup if you played correctly.

1 Like

tbc/wrath was by far the best because PARTICIPATION was thru the roof.

arena gear was the same ilvl as current raid tier and hundreds of thousands of dragonslayers participated and the ladder was insanely active

“yeah but balance”

theres never been a balanced 3s game in any expansion ever

participation is the only thing that ever mattered

3 Likes

But with this is the first xpac I see people who never got even 1550 achs get 2k+ and these same people are insanely geared in pve.

Keep in mind a lot of this was because T1 and T2 weapons were EXTREMELY competitive with raid weapons as well as had a guaranteed time gate at around 3-4 weeks if you had the rating. Meaning every new tier you were guaranteed to have a decent raiding weapon from arena by then if you had bad loot drop luck. As well as if you had trouble getting into raiding because of “Gearscore” back then, you could farm out the weapon to look acceptable in pugs.

True balance? Naw, however Wrath S7 after Shield Block nerf, and Cata S10 after Dark Succor nerf were two of the most balanced seasons that ever existed. Even specs/classes hard counters could be wrecked inside of 1 or 2 really good plays.

Back then some of the hardest counters of the expansions were Aff locks against hunters, and DKs vs Priests, but 1 or 2 good plays back to back or even just an overlap changed that. For the past 3 xpacs “hard counters” now means out the gate they have to make 5x more mistakes to even show a win condition.

So yes in a general sense, true balance has never existed. However the 2 expansions commonly mentioned for class design (Wotlk and Cata) both had a Mid-season that was historically the closest we ever came to a point where the better playing team basically always won, with a final season that had broken stuff but was still pretty close to that.

Now there are specs that have 3-7 specs that can’t even be considered kill targets when facing them…

2 Likes

Not true at all

Happens with every xpac lol

if you’re insanely geared in pve chances are you understand how to do your damage rotation, which is all you need to get 2k

yes 100% that is why participation was incredible

only 10% of the population cares about pvp

90% slay scripted content

put PURCHASABLE raid ilvl gear in a pvp system ?

massive participation inc
its so simple idk why they ever changed it

There have been seasons/portions of seasons that were pretty damn good/balanced but that never really mattered

Balance only feels important when there are a couple hundred teams actively q’ing

When it’s 10s of thousands balance doesn’t matter

It still does. S5 started out with one of the highest population numbers in WoW history, as well as T2 weapons were actually one of the best ways to get a BIS weapon since only KT dropped a weapon of similar iLvl since “Hard mode” didn’t exist yet. It also tapered off into one of the worst participation seasons ever 4 weeks in because of how DKs could kill you in 3 icy touches, horrify an entire team with DnD with a rolling dot purge, Rets 2 shotting with SoB, and SV hunter TNT stun.

Literally 80% of the ladder quit because they were dying in 2 seconds to things that never should ever happen due to balance even when the gear from arena was the best it ever was. I was not fond of 6-7 minute 3v3 queue times in the second half of s5.

Participation may be the bigger motivator than many of these threads let on, but S5 and S12 BM/warrior MoP idiots are prime examples that during massively populated times if your balance is bad people still won’t even bother.

Reasons and rewards to queue is important, but the balance needs to not be trash either.

1 Like

PvP wise mop > wrath > cata > wod > > > > > > > legion = tbc > level 40 classic beta dueling > bfa

Wod was still a halfway similar game only halfway pruned and classes still interacted with each other was like a 4/10. Legion/TBC/BFA way worse.

1 Like

DK’s were the first hero class and they were disgusting i know i played an Rdruid

but that expansion on the whole was pretty awful so many of my friends quit

i know a lot of people loved cata but the problem was in pve it was possibly the worst in the game’s history outside of maybe late wod

participation went down horribly because all the dragonslayers quit

balance is consequential ofc i was making a broader point

that point being, you could balance 3v3 to a tee i mean literally have it be perfect and every class/comp be viable to glad

if you don’t incentivise dragonslayers its pointless

that will never change

wod = trash

CATA was better :cat:

2 Likes

yall really gotta try these low sodium dishes, they do wonders

Dude ease up on the tide pods and mountain dew.

1 Like

I think you’re getting hung up on arena comps, which is fine because this is the arena forum after all, but there’s more to it than that. When I wrote that, I was thinking more about the changes to the system itself and less about class design.

WoD probably had the most generous pvp vendor system of any expansion. I also think they nailed gear scaling in WoD. New players and alts could jump in and actually feel like they’re contributing, instead of just being cannon fodder.

Also, skirmishes were reintroduced, which was a great alternative to casual bg’s. And as much as people hate on garrisons, the pvp bldg added extra incentive to play. Overall, WoD’s system was similar to MoP but felt like it was more newbie/alt/casual-friendly, which encouraged a lot of people to participate.

1 Like

I thought skirms came back in mop

I agree that WoD gearing was good too, not even disagreeing that. The PvP gearing systems pretty much were only silly after WoD, but I was again mostly referring to arena itself

Cata and WoD were the only expansions I actually quit. BFA will be added to that list shortly.